PDA

View Full Version : when did you kids first visit Disney......

AnnieW625
02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
....land, ....world, .....cruise, and non US park.

Title says it all. DD1 was 21 months the first time she went to Disneyland, and DD2 was 12 months. DD2 also went 3 or 4 times inutero.

We have not been on a cruise or to WDW yet. Trying to gauge which one we might want to do first.

(ran out of options do no other so if anyone has an other like visiting a non US park just ad that in your response!)

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Land at 5yo. He had a great time!!!

Tondi G
02-22-2012, 07:32 PM
D-land when they were each around 5 months old ... we are annual passholders so they both also visited in-utero several times!

We haven't been to Disney World yet and we would love to do a Disney Cruise but it is just so much more expensive than say a Royal Caribbean cruise we just couldn't bring ourselves to spend the extra money. LOVE cruising ... if we could find a great deal on a Disney Cruise we would do it in a heartbeat!

alexsmommy
02-22-2012, 07:33 PM
World, DS1's fifth bday.
Problem is we set a precedent...

crl
02-22-2012, 07:40 PM
We took dd and ds to WDW when she was seven months old and he was seven years old. Obviously the trio was for him, although she did really enjoy the characters.

Catherine

BayGirl2
02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm guessing the results are going to be skewed also by location. For those who live in SoCal or FL its not as big of a deal to go to Disney for a day. Where I grew up in PA it was an enormous trip - by plane/driving/autotrain - to go there. My parents waited until we were much older than what I see parents here doing. Now I don't want to go when they are too young, but I don't view driving from NorCal to SoCal as quite as significant as PA to FL.

DebbieJ
02-22-2012, 07:43 PM
WDW when he was 4. We have family in FL. My SIL lived in Orlando so we went to Magic Kingdom for the day. We stayed at her place.

We got the full on WDW experience (stayed on site, went to all parks) when DS1 was 6 1/2 and DS2 was 9 months. That was a company trip that I earned, so hotel and passes were taken care of along with a travel allowance.

KHF
02-22-2012, 07:49 PM
We just took the kids for their first trip to Walt Disney World in December. DD was 6 and DS turned 3 the week after we returned. It was a wonderful time...both of them did great, neither was scared of the characters. It was a truly magical trip. Between just the regular Disney magic, plus the holiday festivities...it was awesome!

We may have to work on a cross-country trip to DL when Carsland opens. DS would be beside himself.

KrisM
02-22-2012, 07:53 PM
We're hoping to go to WDW in 18 months or so. Kids will be 6, 8, and 10.

AnnieW625
02-22-2012, 07:55 PM
We may have to work on a cross-country trip to DL when Carsland opens. DS would be beside himself.

This is the only reason we might actually get passes again next year. We weren't going to because every summer camp here seems to go to DL during the summer, but Carsland doesn't open until after our current passes expire. We love Cars and Carsland actually looks like fun!

Twoboos
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
We did DL last year, DDs were 5 & 7. Loved it, can't wait to go back (or to WDW although that seems like a lot more work)!!

megs4413
02-22-2012, 08:02 PM
my kids were 3 and 5 (but really closer to 6 and 4) when we went last year. It was perfect timing, IMO. They still believe all the "magic" at that age. We had a blast. We're going to wait to go again until DS reaches 42"...that way he can ride more rides this go 'round. DD has already hit the magic 48" mark.

ETA: this applies to WDW. we've never done WDL or any of the other Disney stuff.

lhafer
02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
DD1 was 4.5 years old when we went for the first time to WDW. DD2 was about 9 months old. It was a blast for everyone.

We plan on going again when DD2 is 4-5 yrs old.

We also plan on doing a cruise soon as they are going out of Galveston starting this year!! DDs are currently 6 and 2.

anonomom
02-22-2012, 08:25 PM
DD1 was 2.75 the first time we went to WDW (to take advantage of the under-3 free policy). DD2 was 7 months old her first time. DS was 9 weeks old (we did a weekend trip to squeeze one more use out of our APs).

Our most fun trip was this past May, when DD1 was 5.5 and DD2 was coming up on 2.5. They both had a blast, as did we. We're planning our next trip for when DS is almost 3.

carolinamama
02-22-2012, 08:32 PM
We tagged WDW onto a trip to FL for a wedding. And went back the next year again. The first time DS1 was just 4 and DS2 was 13 months. You can tell that we had a great time and I can't wait to go back. I think we will wait a few more years though as we want DD to enjoy the magic too.

Before we went the first time, I seriously didn't get all the Disney mania. I didn't care if my kids ever went there but after doing it once, I want to go back. Just so magical to see them experience it.

o_mom
02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Never have been to any of those with kids. Probably will go to WDW once and DL once after everyone is big enough to ride everything or wait alone while others ride. I just can't handle paying that amount of money and not being able to do half the stuff there. We have relatives close to both parks, so we will work it into a family trip.

maestramommy
02-22-2012, 09:55 PM
We've been to Disneyland once with the kids. When Dora was 2 and Arwyn was 8 months. We got half price tickets from EI services (what a perk!) or we probably wouldn't have gone.

Now we are waiting until Laurel is old enough to not nap, everyone can walk all day, and Arwyn isn't afraid of characters. It could be a few years :tongue5: We want to go to Orlando, but we're open to going back to Disneyland, esp. if we're already in CA visiting family.

lmintzer
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Never, and not really interested in doing so. The only thing that at all tempts me is the new Harry Potter World.

lalasmama
02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, shoot! You're asking this 3 days before DD had gone to Disneyland, so I feel like I need to click that she's never been... but in 4 days, we could change our vote. But it won't let me change my vote. So I'm not voting. LOL!

DD will be 8 on Tuesday. Her bday present from me is a trip to DLand. She'll find out Friday night at her bday party.

We haven't been to any other D-park/cruise.

KpbS
02-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Never have been. Will probably take the kids in 4 years or so. My kids don't know but only a couple Disney movies or characters.

MelissaTC
02-22-2012, 10:17 PM
M was 15 months when we first took him to WDW, 7 when we went to DL and 9 when we sailed DCL.

kmkaull
02-22-2012, 10:54 PM
We took our 2.5 year old to DW last week--returned on Sunday. We had the best time!

The new, expanded Fantasyland is going to be awesome for little ones. The Beast's castle (Belle's?) towers above and is beautiful. Ariel also gets a castle.

Anyway, I think you have a different experience depending on the age of your kids--but all fun.

AngelaS
02-23-2012, 01:01 AM
My oldest went to WDW at 3.5 but we just took the little two last year at 6 and 8 so that's what I voted.

bisous
02-23-2012, 01:21 AM
DS1 went to DL at one year. DS2 and DS3 at two months. BTW two months IS NOT a great time to bring to Disney in case anyone is wondering! DS2 and DS3 are both (now) somewhat easy babies but those trips were pretty tricky!

Neatfreak
02-23-2012, 02:26 AM
I'll answer to represent for the non-US parks. Hong Kong Disneyland is my favourite of the Disney parks for young kids. We first took DD1 when she was four, and there were only two rides that she couldn't go on - Space Mountain was one, and I can't remember the other. We've gone back with DD2 in twice.

HK Disneyland is small (easy to do in one day), and the lines are short. I think that the most we've waited for anything is about ten minutes. The Toy Story area has been open there for awhile. Our trips there are a lot more low-pressure than when we've taken our kids to other Disney parks. However, it's kind of boring for adults who've been to other Disney parks because there aren't a lot of rides. Probably boring for older kids, too, for the same reason.

We were in Disneyland Paris over the winter holiday, and (probably expectedly) it's the most like Disneyland in Anaheim in the variety of attractions, except that it's Toy Story area has also been open for awhile. My kids were 7.5 and 3 at the time, and we did take breaks mid-way through the day to go back to our hotel and chill (or rather, warm up - it was December!). My three year-old was really into the spotting the characters on this trip - when she was younger, her fave thing at Disney parks was just to ride the merry-go-round and It's a Small World over and over again.

When we went to WDW, DD1 was only two, and while she had fun, my husband and I really did get more out of the trip than she did.

klwa
02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Dad blame it, I voted wrong. I voted went to disneyLAND between 12 mo & 5 years, but it should have been to disney WORLD. *sigh*

Both kids went when they were 2years, 2 months. Which means DS was 5 when we took DD at 2.

BillK
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Going to WDW in May. Boys will be 5 & 7. I'm dreading it...

maydaymommy
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
We went to WDW in October. DS1 was 4.5 and DS2 was newly 2.

It was fun, but we could have waited & no magic would have been lost. I was in a rush to go, but should have waited until they were 3 & 5. We'll probably wait to go back until they are 4 & 6 or even 5 & 7.

Gena
02-23-2012, 10:33 AM
We have never taken DS to any Disney park, cruise, etc and don't have plans to.

DS is not into the whole Disney thing at all. However he does love roller coasters, so we take him to King's Island and Cedar Point.

peanut520
02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
dd went last sept when she was 2.5 ... kids are free under 3!