PDA

View Full Version : What did you call your baby before birth?--UPDATE--baby named :)

lalasmama
02-23-2012, 02:47 AM
UPDATE....

They say that sometimes a name will just come to you.

I was being silly with DD, and said, "C'mere, Ornery!"

And she said, "I'll be myname, and we'll call the baby Ornery!"

"You want to call the baby Ornery?!"

"It's a very pretty name, Mommy!"

Okie dokie. Ornery it is.

DD now thinks her baby-sister-to-be has the "most beautiful name in the world!"

At least there's a funny story to go with it, right? (Obviously, I never say DD's being ornery--she has no idea what it really means, which makes it all the cuter, IMO!)

-------------------------

I've started thinking about this a lot lately....

What did you call your baby before they were born? Did it change through the pregnancy (such as a generic nickname first, then their true name later)?

We're a family that uses a lot of nicknames, and :bag the upcoming arrival has been referred to as "the baby" the whole time. I feel bad about it, especially because there are 4 cousins having babies, and the other 3 babies have nicknames, or actual names that they are called.

I'll admit it. I'm actually willing to take baby nickname suggestions, because nothing I have at the moment is nice to call a baby. (In the past, babies in our families have been things like "Ravioli" [due to mom's cravings], "Jelly Bean 1" and "Jelly Bean 2" [twins, named thus at an early ultrasound], "Carlos" [in reference to the baby in Hangover], "Tres" [he'll be the third], "Gemini" [due at the end of May].) I can't come up with any appropriate baby nickname and it's driving me nuts!

So, help me out here :) What'd you call your LO during pregnancy?

Uno-Mom
02-23-2012, 03:23 AM
We called baby "Slam" because it was a combination of our boy-and-girl names. That was before we found out her sex.

But mostly we called her Sprog. That nickname lasted in daily use until she was about six months old. And, of course, it's still her screen name. ;)

fasthdgirl
02-23-2012, 09:14 AM
We called our little girl "Peaches" since she was conceived in Georgia :love5:

elizabethkott
02-23-2012, 09:25 AM
With J we referred to him as "the peanut".
With Stevie, as soon as we knew he was a boy, we started using his name.

Penny's Pappa
02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
"It"
"The baby"
"Cleetus the Fetus"
"She/Her"
and eventually, Penny.

ETA: Oh, and as she was growing I'd change my Facebook profile picture to a picture of whatever fruit or vegetable that she was closest in size to that week. So sometimes we'd call her "our Raspberry" or "our Cantaloupe." At one point, her ultrasound looked like a Gummy Bear, so she was that for a while too :D

BDKmom
02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
My DS was Curley, which came about because DH misspelled our last name when he was making a computer folder for the ultrasound pics we scanned. This baby has not had a nickname, and I feel bad about that. We mostly call her "baby girl" now, but before we knew the sex it was mostly "the baby".

Melaine
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Never really had nicknames for the girls....just keep calling this one "baby brother" because I'm usually talking to the girls about him.

ETA: My family keeps calling him "Shaggy" just to annoy me.

Nyfeara
02-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Well, with DS1 (before knowing he was a boy), we referred to him as "Bebe" - as in the character's name from South Park. Just kind of happened after watching it one night.

With DS2, he was dubbed "Baby Muffin" by DS1. Again, this was before we knew we were having another boy. When we asked DS1 what he thought we should name the baby, "Muffin" was his response. No idea why. Once we found out he was going to have a baby brother and decided on a name, we started trying to get him to call him by his name so that the poor kid wouldn't wind up being called Muffin in HS or something :rotflmao:

BabbyO
02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
With #1 (given up for adoption) I called him "Jo/Joe". I didn't know the sex, knew I'd be giving the baby up but didn't like calling him "it" so came up with Jo/e as gender neutral. His birth parents later made his middle name Joseph.

With DS1 we called him Babby. We saw a post on a forum where a lady consistantly spelled "baby" b-a-b-b-y and thought it was hilarious. We didn't know DS1's gender until he was born.

With DS2, I'm ashamed to say, I just don't remember a nick name (how terrible is that...he's only 5 mo). Anyway, we did find out the gender so I think we just referred to him as "he", "little brother", and "little man" a lot.

dec756
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
junior, or jr :)

lizzywednesday
02-23-2012, 10:26 AM
We opted not to find out what "flavor" baby we were having, even after we learned about DD's heart condition.

Mostly it was "Baby" and occasionally "Junior" ... of course these days, DD has a RANGE of nicknames, including "Bubba" and "Butt."

But, honestly, it didn't bother me much not having a "name" ... DD was always really "real" to me. Maybe it was the morning sickness.

sidmand
02-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Not sure we'll be much help...we called DS "Fausto" in utero (was really afraid we'd call him Fausto once he was born!). Not sure if we knew he was a boy before we started that. We called DD "Faustina"...luckily she turned out to be a girl!

Gena
02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
We started off using "Junior/Junette", but that was too much of a mouthful. So we settled on "LG" for Little Guy/Gal. (We knew the gender, but kept it a secret from everyone else.)

llama8
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
We called DD1 Pooh 1 and DD2 pooh 2. That is still a sort-of nickname for them. They have a Winnie the Pooh nursery and bathroom.

twowhat?
02-23-2012, 10:53 AM
We called them Baby A and Baby B until they were born (because we had chosen 2 names and were going to give the first chosen name to the first-born baby). Yeah, I know that's terribly scientific.

eta: haha just read fivi2's post and I guess our babies are weird - they NEVER switched positions! Baby A was always closer to the cervix.

fivi2
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
"

ETA: Oh, and as she was growing I'd change my Facebook profile picture to a picture of whatever fruit or vegetable that she was closest in size to that week. So sometimes we'd call her "our Raspberry" or "our Cantaloupe." At one point, her ultrasound looked like a Gummy Bear, so she was that for a while too :D

We did the fruit thing too, but stopped at apple. So we called them apples for the rest of the time. We did some a and b, but they kept moving around.

alleycat
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
With DD#1, we called her Piglet because she was born in the year of the pig. DD#2 became Cowlet (year of the ox). Now, we call both shorten versions of their names, although I do call DD#2 Moo sometimes. She answers to that but we'll see for how long.

With DC#3, I occassionally call him/her "oops". DDs refer to him/her as "the baby".

Mopey
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
It has been Mopey since before I was pregnant. It is a combo of my nickname with my husband's first initial. When he was jumping on the family thing he kept saying "let's make a Mopey!"

And now Mopey is nearly here!!! :)

Other than that he/she/it/the kid/the baby.

My mom is terrified we will keep calling the baby Mopey once it's here :rotflmao:

peanut520
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
she was a Peanut from the very first ultrasound then she became squeaker because she sqeaked when she had the hiccups (few times a day).

legaleagle
02-23-2012, 12:04 PM
DS1 was Gauss because my husband is an engineer. Second was Marvin because my mom had a dream that we named him Marvin (before we knew it was a boy!). This one is Booga because DS1 has been insisting that DS2 has a sister named Booga for months, long before we really talked about a new baby and definitely before we knew it's a girl.

MamaMolly
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Lula started out as Froggy because she was a jumper/kicker. This horrified one of my friends who knew we were having a girl, so we switched it to Bunny. She was Bunny for so long that around her first birthday we realized she didn't answer to her real name! :bag

cvanbrunt
02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
It. I'm not a particularly sentimental woman.

Blue Hydrangea
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
We don't find out if it's a boy or girl until birth, so our first was just called "Baby." Our second was referred to as Baby2 until our 2.5-year-old was asked what he thought we should name the baby, and he said "Jello." So for the past few months Baby2 has been called Baby Jello, so much so that other family members and even people at church ask how Baby Jello is doing. I am slightly worried that this poor baby will be stuck with Jello as a nickname after he or she is born.

hopeful_mama
02-23-2012, 12:15 PM
DD was Bunny right from the very beginning of the pregnancy, still is called that today, and we have no plans of stopping. DH calls her both Bunny and the equivalent word in his native language. At one point I did realize I was calling her that much more than her name, her name didn't feel natural to me, so I had to work on that, but now we use both frequently.

I've spent more time than I'd care to admit trying to figure out what animal name we could call the next one, but no good ideas yet.

boolady
02-23-2012, 12:16 PM

:yeahthat:, basically. While DD has some nicknames now, we really just referred to her as "the baby," while she was in utero. I wasn't one for directly conversing with my abdomen.

AnnieW625
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
We didn't have nicknames for any of the babies, but my coworker named DD1 (we dudn't know the sex) Peja after a Sacramento Kings basketball player. I got really used to and it actually sounded good with our last name.

123LuckyMom
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
We called our DS "Teeny Tiny T...". Our last name starts with a "T". When we chose his name, we called him by name. With DD, still in utero, we called her "Teeny Tiny 2", then "Baby Girl", and now by her chosen name.

Snow mom
02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't know when we started referring to her as it but DDs nickname was "A-Bear" prior to birth (first name starts with A). We still call her Bear or Cub.

LMPC
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
We called DD "inchworm" because that's how big she was when we watched some NatGeo special about babies. DH thought it was funny....and he was paranoid about spilling the beans about her name (which we kept a secret from everyone).

BabyBearsMom
02-23-2012, 01:30 PM
We called DD1 the Squishy Fishy because I could always feels her kind of moving around when I was PG. We also called her the little bear, but not for any particular reason. We call DD2 the Vicious Monkey because she is a crazy woman in the womb (always scratching, kicking, punching HARD. I think she is tunneling out through my left ribs some days, haha).

DD1's nickname didn't stick with her although she has a new nickname that we call her at home. We almost never call her by her real name. DH and I also almost never call each other by our names. In fact, if he calls me by my frist name, I get really nervous because we only use it for serious issues.

lowrioh
02-23-2012, 01:59 PM
We called DD1 Knut. While we were TTC we always joked with my sister and BIL that we would give our future children an odd Scandinavian name and Knut was on the list.

YouAreTheFocus
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM

:yeahthat:

I just said it or the kid. I was kind of ...detached...? during the pregnancy. I was pretty terrified of having a kid. Definitely not one of those ppl who wanted to be a mommy from age 4.

Boy, did that ever change when ds came along. Now I'm a big ol pile of sentimental mush.

creativelightbulb
02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
"Peanut" until she was 10lbs at birth...then we called her by her name or "watermelon"

HonoluluMom
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
"Baby" or "the baby."

maestramommy
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
We called the baby, "the baby."

I didn't talk to my baby in utero at all. Am I in the minority?

BabyBearsMom
02-23-2012, 03:56 PM

I don't really talk to my kids in utero (except to say "Can you please, PLEASE, get off of mommy's bladder. Mommy will pay you $100 if you get off of her bladder.") but I still had a name for both of them. Especially before we knew the gender, I didn't like using "it", so I wanted something to use when we talked about the baby.

mom3boys
02-23-2012, 05:57 PM
My mom is terrified we will keep calling the baby Mopey once it's here :rotflmao:

My parents used a nickname for my brother when he was in utero, since they didn't know if he was a girl or a boy and didn't want to use "it". That has been his name now for almost 38 years--I mean, legally he has another name, but EVERYONE calls him this nickname. I have never called him his given name.

We weren't that inventive:

The first one we called "the baby", "it" or "junior" (We did not know the gender)
DS2 we called "Baby 2" (also did not know gender)
DS3 we called "Tres" (the third) or "Surprise baby"

We have a lot more nicknames after the kid is born.

Jacksmommy2b
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
We called Sam 'Nacho' as it was J's top pick for a name. :)

Mopey
02-23-2012, 06:41 PM
My parents used a nickname for my brother when he was in utero, since they didn't know if he was a girl or a boy and didn't want to use "it". That has been his name now for almost 38 years--I mean, legally he has another name, but EVERYONE calls him this nickname. I have never called him his given name.

:rotflmao:

Nice! But we do have nicknames for the other possible names. I dreamt of one of them, but it may be Mopey a little :)

lmh2402
02-23-2012, 06:44 PM

same here - "the baby" and also "it," which felt not-good...but didn't know what else to say b/c with DS we didn't know and with this baby, though we know we seem to be pretending even to each other that we don't know.

and re: talking to the baby...i tried with DS and same this time around

but i just can't bring myself to do it

i actually tried on tues while driving to work and it felt really weird and awkward...so i stopped

hellokitty
02-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I didn't have a nn for the baby. We just called our babies, "the baby" while they were still in utereo.

Uno-Mom
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
I don't really talk to my kids in utero (except to say "Can you please, PLEASE, get off of mommy's bladder. Mommy will pay you $100 if you get off of her bladder.") but I still had a name for both of them. Especially before we knew the gender, I didn't like using "it", so I wanted something to use when we talked about the baby.
Yup, me, too. I'm not a belly-talker.

elephantmeg
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
peanut, sweetpea.
DS was punkin after he was born
We called DD fuzzy for-ever after she was born (family joke) and still call her that some. Now we call her Mary-Bug or bug for short.

Tenasparkl
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
My DD was Pepper (like Pepper Potts from Iron Man). She named the current resident in my belly Tomato. Everyone at her preschool knows all about Tomato and they ask me about him all the time (teachers & kids). I have a feeling she'll call him Tomato for a long time.

JoyNChrist
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
I don't think DS1 had a nickname, and after we found out he was a boy we started calling him Avery (we had decided on a boy name before we were even married).

The twins were "Thing 1 and Thing 2" from the ultrasound when we found out they were twins until quite a few hours after they were born, because we couldn't agree on names. The NICU nurses even put those names on their isolettes.

JoyNChrist
02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Double post.

goldenpig
02-24-2012, 05:13 AM
All of us including DD are still calling DS "Baby" and he's nearly 2! I think I either need to think of another nickname or have another baby, or else he'll be really embarrassed when he's a teenager and we're still calling him Baby! :rotflmao:

MamaSnoo
02-24-2012, 06:50 AM
It Bit --less than at first
Bean2 (short for "Bean2, the Revenge of Bean")---we had called DD Bean before she was born
Baby Brother----DD insists it is Babe Brother, which I think is funny.

lalasmama
03-09-2012, 11:55 PM
... DD decided the baby's name this evening... Ornery. "It's the most beautifulest name in the whole world!" she told me. Hee hee hee

blisstwins
03-09-2012, 11:55 PM
tomato, 2 tomatoes actually

amldaley
03-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Cute story for a cute name! You could develop it in to the french pronounciation for Henry, too!

We called DD1 "The little Tomato" in reference to the Pink Martini song "Hang On Little Tomato".

We have called DD2 her given name since about 15 or 16 weeks.

buddyleebaby
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
DD1- Buddy Lee (Baby of Action)- hence my screenname.
DD2- Tummy K- There was a song "Tommy K", we changed it and sang it to her all the time. DD is five and still thinks that song is about her. :hysterical:
DS- Baby Submarine. He was named by DD1.

ETA: DD1's out of utero nickname is Yoyo.

MamaMolly
03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
So! So! So! ADORABLE!!!! :heartbeat: Sigh, I wish you were my neighbors. :) We'd have so much fun hanging out.

american_mama
03-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Tweede means "second" in Dutch. Pronounced tway-duh, pretty easy to say.

karstmama
03-10-2012, 06:49 PM
my dive buddies called him 'peanut' because of the peanut tunnel in peacock springs state park, but when he was born so tiny it stuck with them. they still call him that.