PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix/Blendtec alternatives?

emschwar
02-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I've started making myself green smoothies for breakfast, and I love them, but my blender is being such a pain in the ass about it. I have a cuisinart, and it's about 10 years old, but doesn't get a ton of use. But it takes forever, and I have to do a lot of coaxing to get everything down to the blades, and even then, I find a hunk of banana in my smoothie.

Is there anything that works like the vitamix without the ridiculous price tag? I don't need to make soup or ice cream in my blender, I just want a decently smooth smoothie.

(Or should I suck it up and start saving my pennies for a vitamix?)

ahisma
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
I've heard good things about the Ninja. I haven't used it, but did notice that it was at Costco.

I will say that, even with the Vitamix, I still have to "push" things down sometimes. The Vitamix comes with a tool to push things that fits into the lid and won't hit the blades. Maybe another blender has such a thing? That would be helpful for smoothies, I think.

bostonsmama
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
I suppose nothing is EXACTLY like the Vitamix without the price tag, but I like my Magic Bullet just fine. I've never had pieces of soft banana not get blended, although it can take a minute to get all the ice crunched up. I was given mine as a gift, though. I like that in the set I have there are cups w/ handles that you can just screw little tops on and drink from them.

I've started making my 15mo-old smoothies to get her greens in daily, and I've never had bits of raw spinach remain in our smoothies. I'm looking to add chia seeds (gel) soon.

vludmilla
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
I use the Blendtec which I got at Costco on sale for $275. It works beautifully (I never have to push anything down and things are always well blended). It is still expensive but less than the Vitamix, I think.

hovbaby
02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
I use the Blendtec which I got at Costco on sale for $275. It works beautifully (I never have to push anything down and things are always well blended). It is still expensive but less than the Vitamix, I think.
Could I ask when this sale was? I'm also looking for a blendtec deal. Thanks!

hellokitty
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
I have friends who rave about the ninja.

ahisma
02-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Could I ask when this sale was? I'm also looking for a blendtec deal. Thanks!

It varies by store. If you call your store, they should be able to tell you when the next demo is (same with Vitamix). Different stores in the area may be on totally different schedules (mine are), so it's worth calling around if you have a few Costcos around you.

ahisma
02-23-2012, 07:27 PM

I should clarify - with the Vitamix I push things down for smoothies because of how I make them - I don't add liquids or ice. It's literally frozen fruit, kale and flax seeds. I like it really thick so I don't want to blend it long enough to get the "4 peaks". It's like 15 seconds with the pushing, more like 30-40 without it. Totally just personal preference.

Radosti
02-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I got the Ninja from Costco. Really happy with it.

hovbaby
02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
It varies by store. If you call your store, they should be able to tell you when the next demo is (same with Vitamix). Different stores in the area may be on totally different schedules (mine are), so it's worth calling around if you have a few Costcos around you.
Thanks for the info. I do occasionally saw the demo at Costco, but never saw the price as low as $275. It was usually mid $300s.

FedBaby
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I got the Ninja from Costco. Really happy with it.

Can I ask what you've used the Ninja for? I'm thinking abt getting a "good" blender for smoothies, etc., and I'm trying to decide which to go with (and how little I can safely spend).

FedBaby
03-02-2012, 12:06 AM
II like my Magic Bullet just fine. I've never had pieces of soft banana not get blended, although it can take a minute to get all the ice crunched up. ... I've started making my 15mo-old smoothies to get her greens in daily, and I've never had bits of raw spinach remain in our smoothies. I'm looking to add chia seeds (gel) soon.

How long have you had it? Looking at a few Amazon reviews, people said it did not hold up well...

Radosti
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I've been using it for smoothies. It cuts through ice like butter. Love it.

KHF
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I bought a Ninja Kitchen System from Sam's for $126 about a month ago (on recs from this board and the FB group) and I love it. I didn't really need the system, but I liked having the smaller bowl for it. I use it almost all of the time and it's perfect for our needs.

I've made mostly smoothies in it and it hacks up the frozen fruit and ice perfectly. I had a Kitchenaid blender that leaked about 1/2 the time, no matter how carefully I put the blade mechanism back together. I like that the whole blade comes out of this one and there's no hole in the bottom to leak.

Definitely money well spent.

09Mom
03-02-2012, 12:09 PM
Just saw that starting March 8 Costco has $25 off the Ninja system.

emschwar
03-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Does anyone know how much the ninja is normally at Costco?

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Very happy with my two setting and very simple Waring Bar Blender. I have had it for 7 yrs. and not had a problem with it. A glass jar is a must for me, but I might consider a Vitamix, Ninja, or Blendtec when and if my Waring ever dies (my mom's is almost 40 yrs. old).

09Mom
03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Does anyone know how much the ninja is normally at Costco?

Came to costco during lunch to check it out. It is the kitchen system 1100. I think this one. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004S7LKTG/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1330712713&sr=8-1. I'd use it for smoothies and frozen drinks. It is marked 119. What do you guys think?