PDA

View Full Version : Quick grammar question

turtledove
02-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Since my brain doesn't seem to be operating at full capacity...which sentence is the most grammatically correct...

I think it might be a good fit for me and my husband.
I think it might be a good fit for my husband and me.
I think it might be a good fit for my husband and myself.

I used to think that I was pretty good with grammar :(

TIA!

boolady
02-23-2012, 12:41 PM
I think it might be a good fit for my husband and me.

This one.

rin
02-23-2012, 12:44 PM
This one.

:yeahthat:

ETA: General rule for figuring out noun phrases that have two people/things with a pronoun: to figure out the right pronoun, try the sentence w/out the other noun (so just, "a good fit for me/myself"), then the pronoun always comes second and the full noun/name goes first. So if you went to the store w/John, to be technically correct you'd say "John & I went to the store".

turtledove
02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks! I will file the rule away so I don't feel like an idiot asking basic grammar questions, lol!

baboki
02-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Cut out "my husband and" and the answer will be clear. ;-)

sariana
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
1 and 2 are both grammatically correct, but it is conventional to put the "self" at the end. So number 2 is the more accepted version of the two "correct" versions.

Number 1 might be used if your situation is the more pertinent and your husband's is ancillary or convenient. In other words, "I think it might be a good fit for me. And (conveniently) it also is a good fit for my husband."

Such nuances are rare, however, so number 2 is the most common form.

WatchingThemGrow
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
I used to think that I was pretty good with grammar :(

TIA!
You did pretty well when you didn't use "a good fit for my husband and I" like some recent song lyric.

larig
02-23-2012, 02:51 PM
1 and 2 are both grammatically correct, but it is conventional to put the "self" at the end. So number 2 is the more accepted version of the two "correct" versions.

Number 1 might be used if your situation is the more pertinent and your husband's is ancillary or convenient. In other words, "I think it might be a good fit for me. And (conveniently) it also is a good fit for my husband."

Such nuances are rare, however, so number 2 is the most common form.

This is not how I learned it, (eta:but admittedly it's been eons since my h.s. English)... You wouldn't say "It would be a good fit for myself." You might say "it would be a good fit for me, myself" for emphasis, but that's different than leaving the me out entirely.see grammar girl... (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/myself-grammar.aspx)

the misuse of myself is one of my biggest grammar pet peeves.

ETA2: i'm an idiot and clearly did not read Siriana's post clearly, she's right!

sariana
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
This is not how I learned it, (eta:but admittedly it's been eons since my h.s. English)... You wouldn't say "It would be a good fit for myself." You might say "it would be a good fit for me, myself" for emphasis, but that's different than leaving the me out entirely.see grammar girl... (http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/myself-grammar.aspx)

the misuse of myself is one of my biggest grammar pet peeves.

ETA2: i'm an idiot and clearly did not read Siriana's post clearly, she's right!

I think I made it confusing by using the word self in the quotation marks. I meant something different, but it was unclear. Sorry.

citymama
02-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Here's a good cheat sheet on when to use I or me or myself.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/words/i-or-me