PDA

View Full Version : Britex classic car seats can damage leather seats

sew4too
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I have a 2 year old classic Marathon Britex car seat and just got new car with leather seats. When properly installed with latches, it damaged the back of my car seat within the first 24 hour of install , not even used yet. When I contacted Britex, was informed, that yes it is know that some of the classic car seats many models still sold in stores like target will and can damage car seats so using a mat is advised. They, however will take no responsibility nor put warning or advisory on box or instructions. THey are only concerned with saftey of car seat not our cars. NOte the newer seats, marathon included are redesigned and have smoother backs less likely to damage the car. Britex claims redesign is for prevention of slipping on leather not to prevent tears and indents in the leather.

Joolsplus2
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
On the plus side, most of us have been using these seats for years, and our seats do tend to pop back into shape, though I've had it take as long as a month or two. So there's hope! :)

BabyBearsMom
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
On the plus side, most of us have been using these seats for years, and our seats do tend to pop back into shape, though I've had it take as long as a month or two. So there's hope! :)

:yeahthat: I have the classic BLVD in my Ody on the leather seats with no mat and there is no tear in my leather. The indents usually pop out in a few hours. My seat is still installed RF'ing, but there are no sharp spots on the back of it either. Also, just FYI, it is spelled Britax, not Britex (not being snarky, just pointing it out because it might be hard for someone to search for this information if the brand name is misspelled).

Melaine
02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Do you mean it causes an indent or actually tears the leather? Because IMO almost every properly installed seat is going to cause a temporary "dent" in any kind of upholstery. IME they do pop back just fine. Rips in the leather would certainly be frustrating though!

sew4too
02-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Britax
sorry was typo
It caused indents, still not popped out. I was using the same seat in my older car for the two years, no problem but the new soft leather on my new car showed issue right away. My point is that I would have gotten bigger mat not just covering seat bottom had I known. The fact that Britax refuses to even warn or mention it in the literature or box is what is upsetting as well as seeing newer car seats they make with much smoother backs. One of the mats i have now purchased came with warning about color transfer to leather, so a warning or disclaimer on part of Britax would have been nice. I am hoping when new issue of Baby Bargains goes to print they may include this as a warning when rating any car seat.A car seat need be safe but not damage our car's as well.

smiles33
02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
The indents may take a while to disappear. I have leather seats in my Altima and even 24 hours later (the time it takes for the covers to wash/dry), there are still indents. I don't know that I'd assume those are permanent, though. Give it a week or so and it would probably be fine.

edurnemk
02-23-2012, 07:45 PM
The indents may take a while to disappear. I have leather seats in my Altima and even 24 hours later (the time it takes for the covers to wash/dry), there are still indents. I don't know that I'd assume those are permanent, though. Give it a week or so and it would probably be fine.

:yeahthat: When we removed our Blvd from our Ford Escape when we sold it (the car), the indents weren't really that noticeable. The buyer had no complaints. I have a another Blvd installed in my mom's Volvo XC90 and she's never complained about damage to her seats.

I think most properly installed car seats will leave an indent in the seat. I just take it to be a given and don't worry too much about it. Our first Blvd saved my son in an accident we had, so , really I'm not one to complain about Britax, I'm a huge fan.

Re: Baby Bargains including a warning in their next edition, since it's an older model that you're referring to, and they review current models, I don't think it would actually be included.

AshleyAnn
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
They, however will take no responsibility nor put warning or advisory on box or instructions. THey are only concerned with saftey of car seat not our cars.

Adding a disclaimer would likely cause some people to second guess installing the seat properly. It is unfortunate that car seats can damage the car but their job is to protect a child in a crash. You can put a single layer towel between the seat and the car seat to prevent tearing but the dents are a good sign.

My daughter was in an accident and the first thought I had was "Thank god she was in a safe, properly installed car seat". I could careless if my car seat damaged my car interior but I do care they do thier job.