PDA

View Full Version : Haters Gonna Hate! (Silly Poll) CA - Yea or Nay?

elektra
02-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Anyone up for a silly poll?

I could not help but think about the "haters gonna hate" phrase in light of niccig's recent request of current idiom suggestions after reading this article. ;)

http://blog.sfgate.com/nov05election/2012/02/23/why-do-so-many-people-hate-california/?tsp=1

So what's your take?

Do you hate California?
Do you love it?
Why?

(If you hate it is it because you are a Republican as suggested by the article?)

ETA: The article states that according to the poll, California is the most hated state in the entire US!

ellies mom
02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I love California. I lived there for several years. My immediate family still lives there. That said, I don't see myself ever moving back. We seriously considered it this fall but I realized on my most recent trip back that I'd just as soon live in the PNW for the rest of my life.

elektra
02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I happen to love CA, which is probably a good thing since I live here and I admit I am probably a little arrogant about it, as the article states that many Californians are.

Today is a gorgeous day weather-wise and I that alone just makes living here pretty nice.

maestramommy
02-23-2012, 05:20 PM
Kinda both. I love the beautiful weather, the desert, the mountains, the rocks, the diversity of food.

I HATE the traffic. With the heat of a thousand suns.

AnnieW625
02-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I happen to love CA, which is probably a good thing since I live here and I admit I am probably a little arrogant about it, as the article states that many Californians are.

Today is a gorgeous day weather-wise and I that alone just makes living here pretty nice.

:yeahthat: I am a native and I have never lived anywhere else and with the housing market the way it is there is no way we can even leave so I can't see us moving anywhere else soon!

larig
I said favorable, except when we drive WA to AZ to see my parents after about Sacramento the rest area situation is pretty bad. You guys could really work on that--there were so many closed! Other than that, I think it's a beautiful state and I really enjoy visiting. So many beautiful parks.

Green_Tea
I love California! I've liked every part that I've visited, but am particularly partial to LA and San Diego. I wish I were there right now!

BabyBearsMom
02-23-2012, 05:27 PM
I've never been to California but I don't think I have a favorable or unfavorable opinion of it. To me, its just a state, like any other state. Would I want to live in CA? Probably not. Would I be upset if I had to move to CA? Only because I wouldn't want to be so far from my family.

sariana
02-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Love it, live here (not far from OP, in fact).

I actually do not like the weather that much, though. I wish we had more cool weather. Not cold, just cooler than what we've had this year.

And I do not love what we have done to our public schools. 47th in the nation in per-pupil spending, dead last in class size.

But I love our natural wonders (sequoias, redwoods, Yosemite and Kings Canyon) and our multiple ecosystems.

I love that I can go surfing and skiing on the same weekend (though I actually do neither, it's nice to know I COULD).

I love that we pass regulations to protect the environment (not enough, but it's a start).

I don't have to drive a whole lot, so the traffic is not a huge issue for me.

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
It depends on the part. :) I'm far more fond of CA from Monterey Bay and north.

eta- unless we fell into a lot of money, I would never live there. COL is way too high. Yeah, you get good stuff but I much prefer cheap. ;)

niccig
02-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I live here, so I don't hate it. I've lived other places that are more beautiful.

I do wonder about the California hate. My ILs will say something like "but you're from CA, or that's only in CA", like it's a totally different country. Maybe that is part of it - it's unlike what they are used to. I've had MIL say somethings and I look around and think "why did you say that". DH then explains what her life is like, how she is used to things being done. The fact that we eat sushi and tofu is enough for us to get the "weird" label in the family.

wellyes
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Never been to SoCal but my vacation at the redwoods was sublimely memorable - the beaches near there are stunning.

rlu
02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I said favorable, except when we drive WA to AZ to see my parents after about Sacramento the rest area situation is pretty bad. You guys could really work on that--there were so many closed! Other than that, I think it's a beautiful state and I really enjoy visiting. So many beautiful parks.

They have been working on the rest-areas and it does seem to take some time, but I think they got more done this winter than last due to the lack of rain.

It's a beautiful 80 degrees today here at MILs in SLO county (mid-state) and we spent the first part of this week at Carmel enjoying the waves and sunshine. I love this state, even if the politics and COL can drive you crazy.

elektra
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
I do get the hate of certain things like traffic or COL. But the overall hate I was surprised at.

And who ever voted "other"/"(really?)" please step forward!

TwinFoxes
02-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I :heartbeat: California! Pretty much the only thing I don't like is the housing cost (not that here is much better) and most of the public schools (no contest with here, supposedly the #1 district in the nation.) I can't bear the thought of not moving back there. It is my home. I was born, raised, and belong there.

So, yeah, favorable. :)

mackmama
02-23-2012, 05:42 PM
I like certain areas of CA. I'm not a fan of the L.A. region but like the San Diego and SF areas. Downside is the COL.

crl
02-23-2012, 05:53 PM
Don't shoot me, please. But I don't love CA. We have lived in SF for a few years now. The COL is very high. Taxes are high, yet the schools are not very good. Government seems to be an even bigger mess than most other places. The people here confuse me often. I have lived the rest of my life in Colorado, Missouri and Virginia and I find people in all of those more understandable/predictable. At ths point we don't plan to leave the state though.

Catherine

swissair81
02-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I haven't been to California since I was 9. I'm pretty sure that doesn't allow me to have an opinion. To be sure, I think that it's a little hokey when anyone with a certain number of signatures can get any stupid piece of legislation on the ballot, but that doesn't make me hate the state.

elliput
02-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm a 3rd generation Californian with both of my dad's parents being born there. There is no way I can hate CA.

scrooks
02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I have visited CA on vacation several times throughout my life and have really loved every trip. Its a beautiful state but i cant imagine dealing with that cost of living. It really blows my mind coming from the midwest.

hellokitty
02-23-2012, 06:36 PM
It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. High col, too much traffic, and (don't flame me) it seems like a lot of ppl are kind of rude. Everyone I know that headed out to CA stayed there for a few yrs and then moved away again. They said that it wasn't as great as they thought it would be and the COL was just too crazy. I think that if you did not grow up there and lived elsewhere, your perspective is different. DH was once offered a job in CA and they paid peanuts. When asked about why they weren't paying more for high COL, they said, "you are getting the privilege of living in CA." We were like, "no thanks, we don't want the privilege of living in a shoe box."

DietCokeLover
02-23-2012, 06:45 PM
I really have no opinion of CA because I've never been there. But, I can't say that there is any state as a whole that I hate... I mean maybe a city or something within the state that I don't want to visit again, but hating a whole state.... no.

Oh, and I'm a republican.... really can't see what that has to do with anything, but I didn't read the article either.

MamaMolly
02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I think hate is pretty extreme for a feeling for an entire state. My feelings about California is that the media portrays Californians as hippy dippy surfers, movie star wannabes and ecological nut jobs.

My only relative from California is a super competitive driven woman who fits right in with many other similarly minded gals in the Metro Washington DC area. ;)

MissyAg94
02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
“They’re just jealous,” Salazar said.

This might explain why some people have an unfavorable view of California. ;)

Uno-Mom
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
I live in Oregon and there is a very firm prejudice against California amongst native Oregonians. Trust me, Oregonians don't tend towards Republicanism! It has a lot to do with the period when a huge number of people moved from CA to OR and brought a lot of culture/economic changes.

Of course, there are exceptions to the CA-haters in my state and I think the animosity has cooled slightly over the years. :)

ecofem
02-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Northern California! Everybody knows it should be 2 states - NoCal and SoCal! ;-)

bisous
02-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Southern California all the way! I LOVE living here and would always feel like I'm missing something to live in another place. Lucky for us DH's industry is here and here only so we're staying. All of our family (both sides) live here as well. It's heaven.

(Except for the COL. And the politics. And the schools.) But you get the idea!

Nicciq, out of curiosity, what places have you lived that are more beautiful than CA? I confess, the south of France gave CA a run for its money. No other place can touch it though, lol.

daisymommy
02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm on my phone so I can't vote, but I'm a Christian conservative--sometimes Republican, sometimes Democrat depending on the issue :)

I was born and raised in CA for my first 19 years, and I love the state! I have the best memories of living there, love it still when I go back to visit, and would move back for good if I could afford it.
My DH says its the hippy-crunchy side of me that likes it so much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swissair81
02-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Nicciq, out of curiosity, what places have you lived that are more beautiful than CA? I confess, the south of France gave CA a run for its money. No other place can touch it though, lol.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Switzerland far surpasses California. Sorry.

bisous
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Switzerland far surpasses California. Sorry.

Okay. I'll buy that. But only because my sister's hubby's mom is from Switzerland and she says the same thing, lol. :)

Tenasparkl
02-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I moved to SoCal/LA in 1996 right out of college and can't imagine living anywhere else. Sure I'd like less traffic, better schools and more affordable housing, but still think the good outweighs the bad. It sure is gorgeous out today. :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-23-2012, 08:25 PM
But, don't you need the blah weather to fully appreciate the good? :p

At the end of our 2 week CA road trip a few years back, we got pulled over at a DUI checkpoint in San Diego. The officer asked where we were from then smugly said, "I bet you like the weather better here!". I shocked him when I said that I was actually over the weather! Every day sunny and in the 70s gets boring! I need rain, clouds, and unpredictability. Keeps me on my toes and makes me happy when I can break out my sandals. :)

kijip
02-23-2012, 08:35 PM
I would so move to California if possible (and suddenly we were not needing to live near my elderly father).

So, no, I don't hate on California.

Things I hear a lot about about hateful California-

Most of the home owners I know in Seattle who bought since 1990 seem to claim that they either lost or nearly lost a bid to a California couple paying cash. While I am sure it has happened to people, I don't think there are hoards of Californians running around with half a million dollars or so to plunk down on any house a local Seattle peep fancies buying.

My Colorado relatives are bitter about California taking their water and power. I don't even know if this is true.

That a lot of in-state uni spots are taken by out of state students from CA who did not get into UC-whatever. Sounds sort of white guys insisting that they didnt get in due to non-existent racial quotas. Because there has to be a reason with someone to blame other than just not hacking it. I guess generic CA students are more pc targets than racial minority students.

Haters will hate and all that.

arivecchi
02-23-2012, 08:46 PM
I like California! My irrational prejudice is with Texas.

fivi2
02-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Most of the home owners I know in Seattle who bought since 1990 seem to claim that they either lost or nearly lost a bid to a California couple paying cash. While I am sure it has happened to people, I don't think there are hoards of Californians running around with half a million dollars or so to plunk down on any house a local Seattle peep fancies buying.

Apparently the same California couples are running around Austin with suitcases full of cash ;) If you read the Austin city-data forums, a bunch of people have the same complaint about Californians driving up real estate prices.

I have visited California a few times. I had nice visits, it has some great scenery, but I have no desire to move there.

I currently live in Texas, which also has a big state image/identity and it seems a lot of people either love it or hate it (and there is a lot of state pride). I didn't grow up here, and didn't ever notice such a thing where I grew up, so I find it kind of interesting.

BabyBearsMom
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM

Hmmm not sure that is irrational *ducks head*

kijip
02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
My irrational distaste for a state is Oklahoma. I seem to think the whole state is like Duncan (even though I know it is not).

maylips
02-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Ditto. And Florida. I've NEVER liked Florida.

kaitlyns.mom
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM
I generally think favorably toward CA, but I was born here and have never lived out of state. I've lived in Southern CA and Northern CA and prefer the Central Coast. :) Honestly though I have always wanted to move to another state. I see friends' photos of Ohio and North Carolina and Virginia and I want to live there instead. But both of our families are here so here we stay.

I do not like what I consider an excess of bees and black widow spiders. :o I also hate the traffic and think what we pay for our rental is ridiculous.

Globetrotter
02-23-2012, 09:50 PM
For me, it's :heartbeat: for N. Cal, though I could do without the high COL and crappy public schools, not to mention the ridiculous competition for college. I also agree that people aren't always friendly, but we surround ourselves with people we know and like.

The weather makes life more bearable - in fact, I think it makes a huge difference to our mood. I've lived in places with four seasons and I will gladly forego the miserable winters!

I think a lot of the hate stems from legendary Californians with suitcases of cash buying real estate elsewhere and jacking up their prices. I'm sure it's true to some degree but greatly exaggerated.

S. Cal. gets a rep for the fake boobs and hedonism of Hollywood, but the average resident is nothing like that.

niccig
02-23-2012, 10:31 PM
That a lot of in-state uni spots are taken by out of state students from CA who did not get into UC-whatever. Sounds sort of white guys insisting that they didnt get in due to non-existent racial quotas. Because there has to be a reason with someone to blame other than just not hacking it. I guess generic CA students are more pc targets than racial minority students.

The UC are taking more out of state and international students, they pay a lot more in tuition. There's also more CA residents applying. Overall, more applications means less chance at getting a spot. Many high achieving students do not get into a UC, but will get into a more prestigious college out of state.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/13/local/la-me-uc-apply-20120113

smilequeen
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm not a hater, but not a lover. I enjoy visiting to a degree, but I think the beaches elsewhere are far prettier. I prefer having seasons, so the weather is not really a draw to me. Nothing about California makes it worth all the negatives *for me* to ever want to live there. And everyone I know who moved there expecting to love it, moved back home or somewhere else that they like more. But we visit every other year or so and I enjoy the trips. So, definitely not a hater :)

TxCat
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM

:crying: Frankly, you've broken my heart. ;)

I voted "other". I grew up in California, both in NorCal and SoCal. My mother is still there. So, I generally have good memories of it, and I like going back to visit. That being said, I can't deal with the traffic, the COL, and I found the people to not be that friendly. And the politics are totally wacky. So, don't love it, but don't hate it either.

arivecchi
02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
:crying: Frankly, you've broken my heart. ;)

I voted "other". I grew up in California, both in NorCal and SoCal. My mother is still there. So, I generally have good memories of it, and I like going back to visit. That being said, I can't deal with the traffic, the COL, and I found the people to not be that friendly. And the politics are totally wacky. So, don't love it, but don't hate it either.
I often wonder what you are doing there! You are too cool for Texas! ;)

theriviera
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I live in CA and while the weather is great, this is not the first place I would choose to live. I am very biased though, as I think it's primarily driven by the fact that my family is far away. If they were closer, I think I would love it.

However, I cannot stand the politics here. The government is a mess. The schools are terrible. And the fact that a simple majority can approve crazy amendments is absolutely terrible.

s7714
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Well, I live here. There are things I love about it and things I hate. I also think Northern CA and Southern CA are practically two different worlds.

JoyNChrist
02-24-2012, 02:40 AM

Definitely. I've traveled pretty extensively (actually been to more foreign countries than U.S. states), and Switzerland is the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I honestly don't think I could live there because I would never get anything done...I'd just be standing out in the yard gaping at the scenery all the time.

I like California! If we could afford to live there I think I'd enjoy it. I'm not sure I could ever actually leave Louisiana though...my state has tons of issues (and the heat and mosquitos are killer), but it's a unique culture and a whole lot of fun.

MontrealMum
02-24-2012, 02:58 AM
When I was growing up in the Midwest, CA was sort of a dreamworld in my imaginings. Mind you, so was Fla. I was shocked in highschool on our National CloseUp trip to meet other teens who - gasp - lived in Fla! I'd never thought of it as a place where youngish people lived and grew up. I was even more shocked to meet teens from Las Vegas. I guess CA sort of has that Fla. feel to me as well, w/o the retirement aspect. IDK, it's hard to explain. Luckily, I travelled a bit in college and more extensively in grad school and I'm no longer that green ;) There are lots of beautiful places in the world and many, many, beautiful people.

As an adult I've met a number of people from CA and they're all nice, intelligent, and normal. So, my vote is "favorable" although I've yet to actually visit!

larig
02-24-2012, 11:46 AM
I would so move to California if possible (and suddenly we were not needing to live near my elderly father).

So, no, I don't hate on California.

Things I hear a lot about about hateful California-

if so our (seattle's) housing market would be better, no?

I did once heard a Seattle native say that the notion that Seattle was so rainy was just a rouse to keep the Californians away. ;-)

kijip
02-24-2012, 12:18 PM
The UC are taking more out of state and international students, they pay a lot more in tuition. There's also more CA residents applying. Overall, more applications means less chance at getting a spot. Many high achieving students do not get into a UC, but will get into a more prestigious college out of state.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/jan/13/local/la-me-uc-apply-20120113

I think that there are many states doing this- enrolling more out of state students for the higher tuition. I know it is happening here in WA.

kijip
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
if so our (seattle's) housing market would be better, no?

Exactly, but there is no reasoning with the irrational.

mommyp
02-24-2012, 02:12 PM
I live in CA and love it! Of course there are things (like COL and wacky politics) that could be better, but there are things to deal with everywhere else we've lived too. Usually I look around and feel lucky to live somewhere so beautiful!

Kindra178
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM

Well, well said.

Momit
02-24-2012, 03:21 PM
I realize that some things are a mess there right now, but overall I have a favorable impression. Plus I will always have a soft spot for California because my DS was born there. :)

cindys
02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Beautiful place to visit but I wouldnt want to live there.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...20, 5 & 3 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

lcarlson90
02-24-2012, 04:19 PM
In general I love California and I don't see myself ever moving. I am pretty disgusted at what our state is doing to education. I work for an elementary school district and we are planning to lay of 60+ teachers this year and that just sucks.

Fairy
02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Ditto. And Florida. I've NEVER liked Florida.

I despise Florida with every fiber of my being. Except Disneyworld, specifically, they do not count. I have no good reason that would count, generally, so it's my irrational hating on a state.

I love Cali. Love flove love. Pasadena, I wanna live there.

american_mama
02-24-2012, 05:56 PM
I like the way you worded the question, which doesn't use the word "hate" or "like." I voted "unfavorable" opinion. Almost my mother's whole family lives in southern California, so I have visited there several times and always liked it for the recreation value. But since I've had kids, my associations with California are horrible traffic, crazy home values, schools in complete budget crisis, and strange state politics (the whole recall election). Throw in a few big criminal trials, all managed like circus acts (Rodney King, Michael Jackson, OJ), and I think of the state negatively.

DH just came back from a conference in Ventura and was saying very positive things about the pleasures of California. On his own, he came up with a similar statement that a PP mentioned: your salary is not high enough to make up for the COL, but you get to live in California and that in itself has value. I was astounded. The one time we went there together (9 years ago), he kept saying "You couldn't pay me to live here."

I agree with the cliche: nice place to visit, wouldnt' want to live there.

gatorsmom
02-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I've never thought of it anymore than any other state. Like anywhere else, it has it's pros and cons. It was nice to visit the couple of times I was there.

essnce629
02-24-2012, 06:18 PM
I've lived the majority of my life in CA and love it. I did live overseas for a few years as a child (military) and 3 years in VA for DBF to go through law school, and while VA was beautiful and everyone was really nice, I couldn't wait to move back to CA. All my friends and family are here in CA and now that I have kids, being near family is what is the most important. I'm so grateful that my own grandmother is just 90 miles away and that my kids get to spend every holiday with her.

I'm in LA, and yes the traffic sucks, but I'm lucky that I have everything within a mile or two of me (and Trader Joes within walking distance!!!!) so I rarely have to get on the freeway. And we're very lucky that DS1 got a spot in the new k-8 charter school this year which we LOVE, so the school situation for both he and DS2 has been taken care of till we get to the high school years.

And yes, the COL is super high and you only get a tiny house for a ton of money, but I'd much rather live here in a tiny house where I could see my mom regularly versus a huge house with no friends or family nearby.

hillview
02-24-2012, 07:03 PM
I like north CA and south CA is only ok. I like to visit I lived in SF for a year and didn't care to live there. My sister lives there and it is fun to visit!

TxCat
02-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I often wonder what you are doing there! You are too cool for Texas! ;)

:D Give me a chance, and I'll convert you into, if not love, grudging appreciation for Texas.

I am kind of sad about all the ill will against Texas. It's not that bad, I swear!!

arivecchi
02-24-2012, 11:48 PM
:D Give me a chance, and I'll convert you into, if not love, grudging appreciation for Texas.

I am kind of sad about all the ill will against Texas. It's not that bad, I swear!!Sorry! I'll give it a shot if you give me a tour! I have a feeling I would enjoy your version of Texas! :)

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-25-2012, 03:48 AM
I live in Oregon and there is a very firm prejudice against California amongst native Oregonians. Trust me, Oregonians don't tend towards Republicanism! It has a lot to do with the period when a huge number of people moved from CA to OR and brought a lot of culture/economic changes.

Of course, there are exceptions to the CA-haters in my state and I think the animosity has cooled slightly over the years. :)

:yeahthat:Same here in Flagstaff, AZ. Us former Cali residents are blamed for coming in with our money and making housing unaffordable for locals. I do talk smack about Cali drivers here in winter, but I do that about Phoenix peeps, too. Flagstaff is the island of blue in a sea of red. McCain lost in his home state in Flagstaff in 2008; Flag is more right than left.

I like Nor Cal better, but after living there 25 years, I am a bit biased!