PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid experts, help!

wellyes
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
At my physical I was a good BBBer and asked for a thyroid check.
Results came back: TSH 4.16.
The doctor says that's normal.
But what I'm reading says that the modern standard is, anything above 3 is high.

WWYD? This is a new doc for me so not sure if this is worth making a fuss over. I believe treatment is 'eat better' which, I learned from my cholesterol results, I need to do anyway.

KLD313
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
That's not normal according to the new lab ranges. Do you have hyPO symptoms? Did they run your free's too?

niccig
02-23-2012, 11:29 PM
That's not normal according to the new lab ranges. Do you have hyPO symptoms? Did they run your free's too?

:yeahthat: my endo would start treatment. If I get over 2, still within normal, he increases my meds

elizabethkott
02-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Is this an endo or a gp?
That level is high (hypo) by the new standards.
I'd find an endo if this person was not one... I'd actually find a NEW endo if this person is an endo and is still operating on the old levels.

wellyes
02-23-2012, 11:53 PM
It's a gp. I will requests more tests - or maybe go straight to an endo (my insurance allows this). Thanks all.

xmasbabycomin
02-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Whomever you go to, ask for freeT3 and freeT4 tests, too. Once you have an abnormal (or even borderline) result , all three tests, and preferably an antibodies test, should be done. My TSH was normal but both free tests showed hypo. Unusual, but it happens and Im now on meds. Sorry if you've seen this, but try the top doc directory:
http://thyroid.about.com/cs/doctors/a/topdocs.htm
Lisa

MSWR0319
02-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I'd make sure you know what levels the endo treats to as mentioned. My TSH was just Under 5 with one of the other tests slightly abnormal. My go treated me, but left and I then went to an OLD endo, who I found out doesnt believe in new standards. He took me off my meds because results came back at 3 something. Now I can't find a doctor to treat me. It's so frustrating!

hellokitty
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Is this an endo or a gp?
That level is high (hypo) by the new standards.
I'd find an endo if this person was not one... I'd actually find a NEW endo if this person is an endo and is still operating on the old levels.

:yeahthat: DH was first diagnosed with thyroid issues (he was hyper) by his GP. His GP tried to manage it unsuccessfully for a yr, before my DH finally decided to go to an endo who was able to help him (had to burn out his thyroid, now he's hypo). I think that a lot of GPs don't know enough about endo to manage it as well as it could be managed, so with lab results like that I would see an endo in order to make sure that they are managing things properly.

khalloc
02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
i had the same thing. My results came back with TSH = 3.9. GP said that is normal. I am debating on going to an endo too.

tiapam
03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
At my physical I was a good BBBer and asked for a thyroid check.
Results came back: TSH 4.16.
The doctor says that's normal.
But what I'm reading says that the modern standard is, anything above 3 is high.

WWYD? This is a new doc for me so not sure if this is worth making a fuss over. I believe treatment is 'eat better' which, I learned from my cholesterol results, I need to do anyway.

are you aware that low thyroid can cause the high cholesterol? you can probably take care of both just be treating the low thyroid problem. i would def want treatment options if I was 4.16. Everything I am reading now says over 2.0 should most likely be treated. FYI, you could have symptoms you don't even realize are caused by your thyroid UNTIL you get treatment and they go away. it can be really subtle and mimics aging.

wellyes
03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Update: I went to an endo & was pleased with his response. After discussion, he put me on a low dose of Levoxyl, with plans to re-do bloodwork in six weeks.

ErinMC
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
:yeahthat: my endo would start treatment. If I get over 2, still within normal, he increases my meds

THIS. I have been hypo for 10 years. I just got tested at 2.6 last week and my dr. wants me to increase dosage. She prefers to have me in the 1's.

StantonHyde
03-20-2012, 12:10 PM
So mine was in the 4 range. My Gyn put me on meds--starting at .5, now up to .75. I have to get my bloodwork done again. But I am not feeling anything different, really. Maybe I am a little less tired but that's it. I don't have any other health concerns (all my other lab work is great). How big a difference am I supposed to see?? (ok, so I was hoping I would have tons of energy and drop 10 pounds like that :rotflmao:)

lablover
03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
So mine was in the 4 range. My Gyn put me on meds--starting at .5, now up to .75. I have to get my bloodwork done again. But I am not feeling anything different, really. Maybe I am a little less tired but that's it. I don't have any other health concerns (all my other lab work is great). How big a difference am I supposed to see?? (ok, so I was hoping I would have tons of energy and drop 10 pounds like that :rotflmao:)

You are probably not at the right dose yet. My dose has been 1.25 for years. Sometimes it can take a long time to get to your optimal dose since they have to raise the dosage by an increment, wait 4-6 weeks, do bloodwork, raise it another increment if results are still off, wait 4-6 weeks, do bloodwork, repeat, repeat....