PDA

View Full Version : Do I invite them?

JoyNChrist
02-24-2012, 12:19 AM
From the time I was pregnant with the twins until I went back to school in June, I was pretty heavily involved in a local playgroup. I met a lot of great moms there. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to attend many functions since I decided to go back to school. Most of them are SAHMs, so they plan things for weekdays when I have classes. I've kept up with everyone on Facebook (we have a group page) and I do my best to make it to baby showers and birthday parties and send gifts when I can't.

Anyway, Avery's 5th birthday party is in a couple weeks and I don't know if I should invite these playgroup friends. Many of them came to the twins' first birthday party in August, but unfortunately that's the last time I've seen many of them. We do still keep up on FB and text sometimes, but I just haven't been able to make it to playdates.

My concern is that I don't want to seem gift grabby by inviting them when we haven't seen them in a while. But at the same time, I really would love to have them and their kids, and it's not my fault that we can't make it to playdates during the week. I'd also hate to hurt someone's feelings by not inviting them.

It's just hard because they aren't close friends, but also aren't just acquaintances. I'm not really sure what the etiquette is here.

mariza
02-24-2012, 12:35 AM
I would invite them! Maybe you could send them a PM on your FB page or via email saying something to the effect that you miss being able to join group activities but you would love to see them at A's party. I'm sure they will understand :)

mikala
02-24-2012, 12:58 AM
I'd invite them but also put an invitation out there for a non-birthday meet-up where you can reconnect with at least the moms so it doesn't seem like you're just contacting them when a birthday rolls around. from the details you've provided about attending their events, sending gifts, etc. it doesn't sound like they will think poorly of an invite but a girls night out is never a bad thing :)

JustMe
02-24-2012, 02:08 AM
I would invite them because you want to and, IMHO, its for the right reasons. You like them, want them there, etc. If they take that to mean you are doing it for the gifts, that's their problem.

hillview
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I would totally invite them. I never think someone who invites me just wants a gift FWIW.

DietCokeLover
02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
I would invite them I am sure they understand how challenging your schedule is right now and would think nothing odd about the invite.

Melaine
02-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I would definitely invite them.

liz
02-24-2012, 10:11 AM
I would invite them I am sure they understand how challenging your schedule is right now and would think nothing odd about the invite.

:yeahthat:

SkyrMommy
02-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I would invite them because you want to and, IMHO, its for the right reasons. You like them, want them there, etc. If they take that to mean you are doing it for the gifts, that's their problem.

:yeahthat: I think they'd probably like to see you and the family just as much!

Seitvonzu
02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
i'm with the "invite them" posters :) and i like the moms night out idea, but i might just be in the mood for one of those myself :)