PDA

View Full Version : Need quick rspsonse - Pumping Moms - How much BM in each bottle? 5 months

wimama
02-24-2012, 10:14 AM
My daycare has been nagging me to put more milk in E's bottles. The thing is I don't think she needs more milk in them. She is exclusively breast feed. She is 5 1/2 months old and eats every 3 hours. I was taking about 4 1/2 ounces in each bottle at daycare and taking 3-4 bottles a day. The past week or so daycare has been saying that she does not seem satisfied after finishing her bottle. I put almost 6 ounces in her bottle yesterday and now they want me to put more in her bottles. According to what I read on Kellymom the average intake of a BF baby is 25 ounces. The max should be 30 ounces. So, according to my calculations the minimum possible feedings E would take per day is 5. In reality her feedings per day is 5-8, but some days it is 5. She sleeps through the night and seems to really nurse a lot before bed and first thing in the morning. According to my calculations based on Kellysmom site the average amount of ounces she should be taking in is 5 ounces per feeding and a maximum of 6 ounces.

So, I know she could be going through a growth spurt, but I am concerned that the reason she is looking like she wants more milk is that she is cutting a new tooth. I am thinking she is likely trying to comfort nurse from her bottles at daycare.

So, what was the maximum amount of pumped milk your baby took at around 5 -6 months old? How often were they eating?

I am thinking of sending some teething toys with her to daycare today. Do you all think this is a growth spurt or is daycare overfeeding her?

ETA: My DS never took more than 4 1/2 ounces in his bottles, but he ate more often than E. My daycare provider reminded me of that when I reminded her of that J only took a max of 4 1/2 ounces in his bottles.

Mods: Sorry for posting in the lounge. I just need to talk to daycare today.

secchick
02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
DS just turned 6 months and was at 8oz bottles of BM 3 times per day at daycare before introducing solids. At 5 months he was taking 7 oz per bottle. Now that we just added 1/2 jar of solids with cereal, he is back to 7 oz, and may have one ounce left in his last bottle when he is finished. DS1 was similar, DD ate a little less and was probably at 6 oz bottles at 6 months before introducing solids.

BabyBearsMom
02-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I would try to give a few larger bottles (if she takes 5 bottles, send 2 with 6oz and 3 with 4.5 oz) and see how it goes. I find that while websites and books like Kellymom are helpful, every child is different and if your child is unsatisfied with what is currently in the bottles it is fair to try a little more. I think at 6 months we would send DD to daycare with four 6oz bottles IIRC. Also, it isn't just teeth, at 6 months my DD was becoming a lot more active (she started crawling) and needed more food.

LD92599
02-24-2012, 10:28 AM
I always stuck with 4 ounces in each, 3x a day. He was fine and would wimper when he finished it, but that was the case whether it was 8 ounces or 4!

wimama
02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Ok, I feel better now. I was concerned that daycare could be overfeeding her. While I trust Kellymom as my online BFing resource. I wanted IRL experience from you all. She does have a tooth that is just popping through. I will send some teething toys, in case she needs them. She thinks binkies are evil and will not take them.:p But, she has been comfort nursing a lot at home because she of the new tooth she is cutting.

At her 4 month appointment she was at the 98% for height and 95% for weight. She is a big girl. :wink2: I was trying to hold out until 6 months for solids, but she has been grabbing food out of our hands and she started fussing when we were eating dinner. So we started her on solids about 2 weeks ago. I have only been feeding her about half a jar of puree food usually mixed with some cereal. Maybe I will send some cereal and a jar of food as well and have them give her some solid food once today. I have at least a full 6 ounces in each bottle for today. Her bottles only have markings up to 5 ounces, but I am pretty sure there is 6 ounces in there. Daycare suggested I buy new bottles, but I would hate to do that. She will likely start drinking less now that she is starting on solids. I love out daycare, it is a big center. But, most of the providers have been there a long time and do have a lot of experience. I do trust their judgement.

BabbyO
02-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, our LO's are the same age...DS is another Sept '11 baby. I have been putting 6 oz in each bottle for daycare since we started. With both my boys as soon as they went to daycare/sitter they ate more from the bottle than I estimate they nursed from me. But they also nursed from me a bit more frequently.

When DS2 started daycare he would frequently only drink 4.5-5 oz in two of his bottles then all 6 from the third. The problem was, we never knew which bottle was going to be the one he wanted 6 oz.

If I were in your position, I think I'd send 6 oz in 3 bottles. That is an extra 4.5 oz over the course of the day (or an extra full bottle compared to what you have been sending). I think I'd start with that, then ask daycare to try teeting toys, pacifier, etc.

If it really seems like you DD still needs more. I'd send 3 6-oz bottles, then a separate 3-4 oz that they can add, 1 oz at a time, to her bottles. I have DH do this with DS. Sometimes the time it takes to add 1 oz to a bottle is the time it takes my DS to realize he's not really hungry anymore...and we only loose 1 oz instead of a whole bottle.

doberbrat
02-24-2012, 10:47 AM
I never sent in more than 4 to 4.5 oz. If she needs to be fed more often, then thats what they should do. Small frequent meals are the way to go.

almostmom
02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Both of my kids were big babies - in the 95% for height and weight when they were little (and still close to it now, though getting skinnier as they grow taller). They drank 6-8 oz from a bottle starting at about 4 months. I started at 4 oz. bottles, but that didn't last long. And they were satisfied with the 6-8, but definitely not 4! They showed me when they weren't hungry anymore. But 4 oz. would not have cut it! I don't see any reason to hold back from feeding them what they want at that age, as long as they aren't puking it up. I don't think cutting a tooth would make them want to drink more milk (though if they don't take a paci, maybe you think they are looking for the comfort of sucking).

When I breastfed, they definitely got a lot of milk fast, as I produced a lot. I imagine the 6-8oz was about what they were getting from me.

I wouldn't worry about giving them more. Most babies will drink until they are full, then stop, though not all, I know.

wimama
02-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Well, our LO's are the same age...DS is another Sept '11 baby. I have been putting 6 oz in each bottle for daycare since we started. With both my boys as soon as they went to daycare/sitter they ate more from the bottle than I estimate they nursed from me. But they also nursed from me a bit more frequently.

When DS2 started daycare he would frequently only drink 4.5-5 oz in two of his bottles then all 6 from the third. The problem was, we never knew which bottle was going to be the one he wanted 6 oz.

If I were in your position, I think I'd send 6 oz in 3 bottles. That is an extra 4.5 oz over the course of the day (or an extra full bottle compared to what you have been sending). I think I'd start with that, then ask daycare to try teeting toys, pacifier, etc.

If it really seems like you DD still needs more. I'd send 3 6-oz bottles, then a separate 3-4 oz that they can add, 1 oz at a time, to her bottles. I have DH do this with DS. Sometimes the time it takes to add 1 oz to a bottle is the time it takes my DS to realize he's not really hungry anymore...and we only loose 1 oz instead of a whole bottle.

I am thinking about that right now. I have enough for a fourth bottle today and I think I am going to have them do just that.

I never sent in more than 4 to 4.5 oz. If she needs to be fed more often, then thats what they should do. Small frequent meals are the way to go.

That was how they feed my DS at the same daycare. There are some babies there that want to eat every 2-1/2 hours and they feed them that often. But, E is not one of them. She waits for at least the 3 hour mark before she gets hungry.

Both of my kids were big babies - in the 95% for height and weight when they were little (and still close to it now, though getting skinnier as they grow taller). They drank 6-8 oz from a bottle starting at about 4 months. I started at 4 oz. bottles, but that didn't last long. And they were satisfied with the 6-8, but definitely not 4! They showed me when they weren't hungry anymore. But 4 oz. would not have cut it! I don't see any reason to hold back from feeding them what they want at that age, as long as they aren't puking it up. I don't think cutting a tooth would make them want to drink more milk (though if they don't take a paci, maybe you think they are looking for the comfort of sucking).

When I breastfed, they definitely got a lot of milk fast, as I produced a lot. I imagine the 6-8oz was about what they were getting from me.

I wouldn't worry about giving them more. Most babies will drink until they are full, then stop, though not all, I know.

She comfort nursed a lot when her first tooth popped through. And now her second one is trying to pop through on the bottom. I am thinking I will send a jar of food today & some rice cereal. The 6 ounce bottles with instructions to add more milk to them if she needs it. I feeling that how much she is drinking per feeding will top off or decline once she is eating more solids, so I would hate to run out and buy bigger bottles. As it is I invested in 12 Born Free 5 ounce bottles, which I pump directly into. They do have enough room for at least 6 ounces in them.

sntm
02-24-2012, 03:37 PM
Agree with the PP who said send some extra that they can add to a bottle at the end if she seems dissatisfied. DS did take 6+ oz at a time when he was older than 6 months, though I can't remember exactly when that happened. But, every baby is different! She may need no more, a little more, or a lot more!

Tondi G
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I think 6oz bottles should be sufficient. You can always send an extra 3 or 4 oz bottle so they can give a little more is she seems unsatisfied. If your little one is now eating some solids then maybe they could offer a little of that if she really seems hungry after the 6oz bottle?

marymoo86
02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Always followed the ounce per hour rule so 3 3oz bottles with a 2 oz spare. DD was 80% height and 75% length. We started solids at 7.5 months. I would be concerned that the daycare is using food to pacify.

wimama
02-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Well, today went well. She went in late today, at close to 11:00am. So, she had two nursing sessions before going into daycare. Her sheet didn't indicate that she ate any additional ounces from the other bottles. But, DH forgot to check at pickup. She came home with an ounce she didn't finish in one of the bottles and her sheet said she seemed happy with the new larger amount in the bottles. I think 6 ounces is within reason especially since she right now is only eating about 2 ounces of solids mixed with cereal once a day at dinner time.

Thanks for all your quick responses!

Momit
02-24-2012, 09:35 PM
At that age I sent DS with 2 8oz. bottles and he always finished them. He nursed in the morning and at night and was having some solids.

He was never a big baby (50% height/weight) and we always joked that he must have a hollow leg or something to drink that much milk.

erosenst
02-24-2012, 11:12 PM
It's way too long ago to remember accurately - but I definitely know we got up to at least 7, if not 8 oz bottles for DD, who came with an internal alarm clock that went off every 2 hours during the day for feedings. Since she started solids at 6 months, and 3 meals a day at 9 months, it was likely around 6 months that she drank the most. She definitely outgrew the 5 oz bottles - I had to buy the 9 oz, although never filled them fully. Our daycare was pretty good about saving leftover milk if DD didn't finish it, and started the next feeding with that one - so there wasn't much waste on days she wasn't as hungry.

Having said that - while she drank a lot during the day, she slept 11 hours at night. DD has been 25% height/50th% weight since birth...and is now 8 years old. She also had an 'off the charts' sized head, which 3 peds have told us weighs a lot.

fumofu
02-25-2012, 01:16 AM
I used to go to my hospital's breastfeeding support group. For a while, I would weigh DS before and after nursing to see how much BM he drank. It was usually 3.5-4.5 oz. At 5 months, he nursed every 2-3 hr, and was at 25-50% for weight/height.

At that time, I had a mommy friend who experimented with putting her DS to daycare. Prior to daycare, she exclusively nursed her baby. Daycare kept asking her to bring bigger and bigger bottles, even though he didn't nurse any more often when he was with mommy. She didn't pump as efficiently as when DS nursed, so she couldn't keep up with daycare's demand! Her DS was having a hard time adjusting to daycare, and it seemed like he was using the bottle to pacify, and it wasn't a good substitute for nursing with mommy. Like PP had said, it didn't matter how much BM was in the bottle, it just wasn't mommy.

If you're able to pump more BM, I would bring more bottles with different volumes of BM, and not necessarily more volume in the same number of bottles.

BayGirl2
02-25-2012, 02:20 AM
I'm a little late to this thread but..
My DD is 5 months too. We send her with 3 4oz bottles and I get there around 5 and feed her right away. That seems to be enough for her. DH did 3 oz once this week and it wasn't enough.

She does cry for a minute when they stop feeding her, BUT I realized she cries when I stop nursing her too, its just her reaction because she.loves.to.suck and also thinks binkies are evil. She adjusts within a minute and happily moves on to something else. If she screamed in hunger for longer I would be concerned.

For those sending 8 oz bottles - are you pumping that much? If so I am seriously impressed. My supply with DD has been much better than with DS, and I pump 3x/day often for 30 minutes at a time. But I get about 10-12 oz/day and that's what I send. She actually eats less on weekends when she's nursing, usually only twice in that time period. So I feel like if I send exactly what I pump I'm doing ok, her demand is about equal to my supply.