PDA

View Full Version : How long did you continue taking prenatal vitamins when you were breastfeeding?

momm
02-24-2012, 04:12 PM
How long did you continue taking prenatal vitamins when you were breastfeeding?

Are they really worth taking now that DS is more than a year old?

Poll coming!

ETA - multiple choices for multiple children

Tondi G
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I took them until DS1 weaned at just under 2 yrs of age. Then I picked em back up when we decided to ttc DS2... he went to formula and I still took the prenatal for a while cause I figured they were a decent multi vitamin for women.

amm40
02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I'll be the obligatory "other" right off the bat ;) I think I've been taking them for 6 years! Several years of "trying" then the preg and nursing years, then right up until preg again and still taking them nursing #2. I believe the recommendation is to take them if you might get pregnant or want to start trying anytime soon, and I've fallen into that category for a long time!

BabbyO
02-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, I planned to keep taking them until the day I weaned. However, we decided to TTC #2 pretty much right after I weaned so I never stopped taking them. I've been taking them since Nov 2009. I'll definitely keep taking them until I wean this time.

I'm considering staying on them permanently. I don't know why but I get sick less often when I'm on pre-natals. I've always taken a multivitamin, but somehow the prenatals seem to be more beneficial to me.

BabyBearsMom
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I selected "I took them until I weaned" but I actually kept going after that. DH and I knew that we would start TTC #2 so I decided to stay on the vitamins. I will continue to take them as long as DD2 nurses. I certainly don't think it can hurt to take them.

marymoo86
02-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Still BF'ing and still taking. Will do so until she's weaned.

essnce629
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
DS2 will be 3 in May and is still nursing once a day and I'm still taking prenatals.

AnnieW625
02-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I voted other. I have never taken a marketed pre natal vitamin because they all contain iron, which constipates me. I took a no iron multi with both girls that had 100% of the rda of folate in it with both pregnancies, and with DD2 because I was slightly freaked out about spins bifida (a friend's child had just been born with it right before I conceived DD2) I took an extra 800mg of it the entire time I was pregnant. I continue to take the same Rainbow Light iron free vitamin that I took while pregnant and I stopped BFing almost 17 months ago.

MSWR0319
02-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I voted other because I have taken them for the last 4 years. DS is 3 and I weaned at a year. My midwife suggests that all of her patients of childbearing age taken them in case there is an "oops!". That way you don't have to worry aout haing enough folic acid in your system.

MommyAllison
02-24-2012, 07:37 PM
My midwife suggests that all of her patients of childbearing age taken them in case there is an "oops!". That way you don't have to worry aout haing enough folic acid in your system.

I was given the same advice, and have been on them since fall 2004 (I've also been pregnant, nursing or both since DD1 was conceived, so would probably have stayed on them anyway). Planning to be on them until menopause, unless we choose some sort of permanent BC before then. Knowing someone with spina bifida does impact that decision for me. I voted "Other".

mommyp
02-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Other....I've been taking them since 2006. First TTC, through miscarriage, then pregnancy with DD and breastfeeding. I figured we'd try again eventually so never went off them prior to TTC DS. I'll stop taking them after he weans.