PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with a really green thumb?

gatorsmom
02-24-2012, 06:10 PM
So, after working on it for nearly a year, I'm close to ready to put my late parents' house on the market. However, there are these shrub in the from yard that have gotten WAY too big. My DH says we should just pull them out and plant something new. I would like to trim the shrubs to a more attractive height but they need to be trimmed down to half their current size. They are evergreen shrubs. They are very hardy and were planted there when the house was built 40 years ago. But will trimming them to that size kill them? Anyone know? TIA!

brittone2
02-24-2012, 06:12 PM
I garden but am nowhere close to a green thumb. If you don't get a response here, what I would suggest is contacting your local cooperative extension office and asking to speak with a master gardener. It really can be a very helpful public service. They can probably give you more information and it should be free of charge.

You could also ask over at the gardening forums on gardenweb perhaps.

o_mom
02-24-2012, 06:56 PM
If you have a local nursery (not Lowe's or Home Depot), take a picture of them in and ask them what kind they are and how much you could trim them.

newg
02-24-2012, 09:45 PM
If you have a local nursery (not Lowe's or Home Depot), take a picture of them in and ask them what kind they are and how much you could trim them.

:yeahthat:

I "think" you can do that........but to be safe, you should do what pp mentioned, and take a picture into an actual nursery. They'll know, based on what zone you're in, and the shrub, how much you can cut. Right now, in Ohio, you shouldn't do any trimming of trees/shrubs until winter is over.
You could probably do a google search too.