PDA

View Full Version : DH wants to move...I don't

ilfaith
02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
We just returned from a vacation in Miami...and now my husband wants to move there.

Seriously.

It is not as spur-of-the-moment as it sounds. When we first moved to Florida 10 years ago we thought we would settle in the southern part of the state. We stayed with friends and family in Boca Raton and Boynton Beach before renting a place in West Palm Beach for a year. Then DH's job required him to be in Jacksonville full time, so me bought a house here. That was nine years and a few jobs ago.

Now my husband works for a company based in Silicon Valley and we can live anywhere. As far as he is concerned, we have no ties to Jacksonville, so why stay.

But I feel differently. I feel as though we have made a home here...and it did take me years for this city to feel like home. I feel like I have friends here (as do my kids) and I am very involved in the boys' school (serving on various committees and on the PTA) and in our synagogue. Although I don't know that I'd consider my friends here among my closest, but I've got a group I play tennis with, a book club, people I can meet for a cup of coffee, and even a shoulder or two to cry on.

DH, on the other hand, hasn't kept ties with most of his former colleagues here. He hasn't worked in Jacksonville in several years, instead he's worked remotely and traveled for business a great deal. He's never bothered to get involved with the community.

So now he wants me to pick up and move again to another city where we know virtually nobody. And I really don't want to go. I'm not sure Miami is a place I want to raise a family (he has his heart set on either Miami Beach or Coral Gables...he really wants an older...1920s or 30s home). He seems to think the public schools there are superior to those here (he says he doesn't want to continue spending money on private schools as he is now...of course I really love their school, and the boys are doing well). I'm not so sure about that. I really don't like the hot weather, already miss the change of seasons (at least we get some cool "winter" days in north Florida) and hate the thought of never putting on a sweater or my beloved boots again.

DH has already spoken with a realtor about selling our house here. He's even rented a storage locker to start clearing our home of clutter so we can put it on the market. DH has talked about relocating before, and I've always thought that I'll believe we're moving when I see the Mayflower truck pull up in our driveway. But this time he seems serious about it. I feel like he doesn't appreciate the fact that I've created a life here that I don't want to leave behind. I always thought if we did move, it would be back to the New York/New Jersey area, to be closer to family, not to some other random city. DH says he doesn't want to live anywhere cold or with state income tax (he's been spoiled by Florida).

We are actually going down to Miami again next week for DH's cousin's daughter's bat mitzvah. DH is hoping to look at some homes while we are down there.

I'm not sure if I am looking for support, validation of my feelings, or maybe somebody to tell me that Miami is a wonderful place to raise a family and I should get excited to come down (or conversely, someone to give me the ammunition to convince DH that Miami is NOT a place to bring up kids...I've already tried to get DH to watch CSI Miami).

Sorry to vent. DH just seems so excited about the prospect of this move, and I am so conflicted.

hillview
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow that sounds really really hard. Have you had a heart to heart with him? It seems like it should be a team decision not one person especially with no work requirement.

I am sorry :heartbeat:

mctlaw
02-24-2012, 09:12 PM
I would not be happy with my DH if he rented a storage unit to start clearing out for a move I hadn't agreed to. I agree with Hillview that you should have a serious talk with him. That sourt of unilateral decision making would not be acceptable.

flashy09
02-24-2012, 09:21 PM
No words of wisdom, just commiseration. My husband wants to move back to his farm in North Yorkshire. 14 miles from a supermarket and the record high in the summer is 74 degrees. All schools are Catholic within 20 miles and I don't know a soul.

ellies mom
02-24-2012, 09:39 PM
I'd be less than thrilled that your husband is moving on this without you on board. Moving is the kind of thing that the couple should agree on. I think you have valid reasons to stay in your current location.

My husband got on a kick about wanting to move back to California a while back. I was very much against the idea even though we had a lot more connections to the area. In my mind the cons just weren't worth it. It really bothered me that he was willing to ignore things that would be a deal breaker normally. It ended up that he didn't do everything he could to make it happen job-wise for him so the issue was dropped.

Melbel
02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
I am so sorry. I would be very angry and hurt if my DH attempted to unilaterally uproot the family, especially if my heart was not in it.

I grew up in WPB and still have friends and family in south Florida (Jupiter to Miami Beach). I have always felt the schools were better up here compared to down south. While I love the beaches down south, I am so much happier in North Florida, especially for raising a family. The crime rate and drugs were rampant in south Florida. My brother was murdered just after his 18th birthday (wrong place, wrong time) in WPB. I saw more drugs in high school than my entire adult life. I had many bikes stolen (locks cut) and our house was broken into several times. I still have a natural instinct to think something was stolen when it is missing based upon my early life experiences. In contrast, I love seeing the rack of bikes with no locks as I leave my neighborhood. I feel much safer (for me and my kids). I also prefer to have somewhat of a change in season and more of a break from the hot humid weather.

On a more positive note, you could probably do well real estate wise, as I am sure you know. South Florida real estate prices have fallen much more than Jax.

I am sure you will make the best of any situation. Is your DH open to at least trying to get more involved locally? Does he have any interests (golf, tennis) that he could pursue? :grouphug:

hellbennt
02-24-2012, 09:51 PM
:hug: I happen to love miami...but I have to agree w/ everyone w/ their comments...:grouphug: feel free to PM me w/ questions/thoughts/concerns about miami (I'm 'from' up north originally, too...)

California
02-24-2012, 09:52 PM
Sometimes when someone wants to rush into a decision they purposefully close their eyes to the negatives. It sounds like your DH needs to sit down with you and make a list of all the positives/negatives of this idea-- for the whole family, not just himself. You sound like you have many compelling reasons to stay where you are. If he wants a happy wife/happy life, he should be listening to you.

ilfaith
02-24-2012, 10:40 PM
There is a part of me that feels DH's Miami Mania may blow over. In the past, he has spent days researching real estate in Scottsdale/Phoenix, suburban Milwaukee, Denver, and the San Francisco Bay area. Yet we are still here.

At the moment I am trying to look at this as an opportunity to declutter our home, pare down our stuff, and get our house in better order. Even if we were to sell, it will take some time for us even to get our house ready to show. (With the messes my kids make we ought to rent an apartment to hold them, never mind the storage unit) I'm just happy to get the never-used Nordic Trak (a.k.a. clothes rack) out of my bedroom. (Honestly I don't think he would have considered a storage unit if not for his recent obsession with "Storage Wars")

I will say I think DH is starting to realize his dream home may be harder to find than he'd anticipated. His online search hasn't yielded more than a handful of homes meeting his desired specs. Perhaps the bee will leave his bonnet, and his enthusiasm will wane as it has before.

niccig
02-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I would not be happy with my DH if he rented a storage unit to start clearing out for a move I hadn't agreed to. I agree with Hillview that you should have a serious talk with him. That sourt of unilateral decision making would not be acceptable.

:yeahthat: or does he think you do agree with him? Have you told him how you feel?

Zukini
02-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Apart from the less than expected/desired level of consideration for a decision that will have a huge impact on every member of your family, there's the simple fact that economically Miami is MUCH more expensive than life in many other parts of FL. I'm a recent transplant from Miami to Dallas. Lived there 14 years and enjoyed it thoroughly - but while the weather was awesome and the culture was very diverse, it's a money pit. Felt like I was opening my wallet every single day for something, fun as those distractions were. As a student and then a single professional, that's fine but for a family I would definitely think twice.

Couldn't imagine raising young children there unless living in the burbs like South Miami or Kendall / exurbs like Pembroke Pines / Weston. Coral Gables, lived there - beautiful area, but I can assure you many of the folks living in the Gables are sending their kids to private schools. Same with those on Brickell, Midtown/Downtown, and various parts of the Beaches. So added to the mortgage cost of a nice home - the taxes, insurance, maintenance is high and this will eat enormously into any discretionary income you would have had living elsewhere. I would recommend researching very thoroughly before moving there. Lots of people do it, but IMHO at the expense of having additional savings or simply extra cash to do other fun stuff/hobbies/travel. There's only so many weekends you can go to the beach before you get bored anyway. At the end of the day, it will boil down to income, goals and lifestyle. I still miss the city dearly but wouldnt move back just for the pure $ and cents of it.

Hope you guys can talk and decide on it together :wavey:

scriptkitten
02-25-2012, 01:45 AM
I love Florida... Lived there for 10 years... Gainesville then Delray/Boynton...love it for me.

I would not raise kids there no matter how rich I was. My in-laws and friends are begging us to move back but I think the culture is all wrong for families. Too many drugs, too much laziness, too much transience.

sste
02-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Ilfaith you sound like a very patient and understanding person. If my DH rented a storage locker for a move without consulting me he would find all of his stuff relocated to that locker. Along with a cot. :)

Not only do I think that a couple has to make a move decision together I think if one works long hours or isn't that much of a "social ties" oriented individual then the other spouse has more say, all other things equal. My DH works long hours and I would only move to a place I felt happy about because in place #2 I would be living there and my DH would be at least partially living at work!

Green_Tea
02-25-2012, 04:29 PM
If my DH rented a storage locker for a move without consulting me he would find all of his stuff relocated to that locker. Along with a cot. :)

That was my initial thought as well.

Giantbear
02-25-2012, 04:44 PM
The first question that pops into my mind is, why does he want to move to southern FL?? That would be a major fact in my decision to move or not. If it is job related or family related, that is one thing, but if it is simply to live where the action is, that sounds like you two are on different pages as to how you want to live.

MissyAg94
02-25-2012, 06:03 PM
We move involuntarily every few years and now that we have a school-age child, I feel done. We moved six months ago and it has been our hardest move yet. I miss our old town, friends, school, etc. I just don't think I'd uproot my kids voluntarily. It sounds like you have a great life in Jacksonville. I'd be hesitant to leave that.

niccig
02-25-2012, 06:09 PM
The first question that pops into my mind is, why does he want to move to southern FL?? That would be a major fact in my decision to move or not. If it is job related or family related, that is one thing, but if it is simply to live where the action is, that sounds like you two are on different pages as to how you want to live.

Very good point. Why is so excited to leave where you are?

kijip
02-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Jacksonville for Miami? No way, no how in my book. Moving happy, settled kids for no reason? Again, no way, no how. That is my line in the concrete.

ecofem
02-25-2012, 08:11 PM
I would be VERY upset if DH had rented a storage locker and talked to a realtor without me or my knowledge. This is a decision that you both have to make... not just one person.

I have lived all over FL. Most recently, We moved from Jax to TLH. NO WAY would I choose South Florida over JAX... particularly if I had my kiddos in a good private school or magnet in Jax.

We lived in the Avondale neighborhood of JAX, and I really miss it. JAX is a great city... it has a little bit of everything for everybody... beaches, sports, natural areas, historic areas, shopping, easy airport to fly into, great food, etc. Did I happen to say I miss it ... oh yeah... I just did two times.

South FL is a different pace - faster, more concete, just NOT MY THING.