PDA

View Full Version : For those of you with dogs who sleep in dog kennels and dog beds...

gatorsmom
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Where do you keep their kennels or dog beds in your house? TIA

BayGirl2
02-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Her crate is in my office, that way she can sleep in there while I work from home. We also have a dog bed in the master bedroom and a big pillow in the family room. Our dog likes to be wherever we are.

AngB
02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Our room. :( Hate it but dogs are "pack animals" and do best where the family is, so that's what we did when they were both puppies and now they both sleep in our room. I am hoping that maybe when DS is a little older they (or at least one of them) might decide they like to sleep in his room.

joules
02-25-2012, 06:38 PM
One dog bed in the bedroom by DH's side of the bed.
Another one under the dining room table. If our house was bigger I'd like to put it somewhere else. But it's not so right now it's the perfect place for it.
Our dog sleeps wherever we are.

niccig
02-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Crate in family room with big blanket over it to make it cozy. We did have a big dog pillow, but she never slept on it. She sleeps on our bed for a bit and then moves to the floor by our bed or the couch in the family room.

Next dog will not be sleeping on our bed or the couch.

weech
02-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Both of ours are in the master bedroom. One usually sleeps in our bed and one (our little diva) sleeps in her own bed.

crl
02-25-2012, 07:32 PM
His crate is in the kitchen. We originally had two ad he slept in the one in ds' room, but he was rattling around making too much noise at night so we moved him to the one in the kitchen to sleep and took down the one in ds' room.

Catherine

MamaMolly
02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Our pup's crate is under the bed in the Master bedroom. If I'm in one of the girl's rooms for any length of time he'll come hang out under their beds or on a rug or pile of stuffed animals :)

KLD313
02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
We have dog beds in the TV room but they go on one of the couches in there to and I keep one big bed across from the living room in the big square area above the front door.

hillview
02-25-2012, 08:24 PM
In the living room (family room) we have both bed and crate.
/hillary

AnnieW625
02-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Our dog sleeps on a dog bed which is placed on an old chaise lounge which is in our garage. DH has dog allergies if the dog sleeps in the house too much.

carolinamama
02-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Dog bed is in our family room. Our dog would be welcome to sleep upstairs in our room, but when we rescued him a few years ago, he was funny about coming upstairs. Now he will go up there during the day when we are up there, but still prefers to sleep downstairs. He actually spends most of the night on the couch after we go up to bed since getting on the furniture is "forbidden". DH and I just look the other way about it since he doesn't get up there otherwise.

maestramommy
02-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Shep has a crate in the corner of the livingroom. It's next to the door to backyard, so convenient to be let out during the day. He also has a cushion in the corner of the breakfast room, so he can watch us eat :tongue5:

lmh2402
02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
we have two bed options for him in the family room

he's got a crate and a bed to pick from in our bedroom

and a bed in my office

for nighttime sleep, he is always in one of the bed options in our room...unless DH sneaks him into our bed. any which way, at night, he sleeps in the room with us. he would cry the whole night if he were left somewhere alone

Pinky
02-25-2012, 10:21 PM
Our room. :( Hate it but dogs are "pack animals" and do best where the family is, so that's what we did when they were both puppies and now they both sleep in our room. I am hoping that maybe when DS is a little older they (or at least one of them) might decide they like to sleep in his room.

Yep, ours are in our room too and they wake me up ALL the time... either licking or roaming around the room. I never even thought that someday they may want to sleep with DD! Something to look forward too.

We have a dog bed hidden beside the couch that they share.

mackmama
02-25-2012, 10:27 PM
One dog bed next to our bed against the wall in the corner.. Another dog bed in the corner of our FR. Our dog likes to be against walls - helps him feel secure I think.

zukeypur
02-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Laundry room

boilermakermom
02-25-2012, 11:12 PM
We have one dog bed in the family room and one in the basement. The dog usually sleeps (on his back, with his head on my pillow) in between DH and I on the bed.

We haven't used a crate in years.

wendibird22
02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
We have a crate in the family room (it's big and not pretty but functional..the crate that is) and a dog bed there too. Another dog bed in the master bedroom. He does chill in the crate once and a while but prefers the couch. He has his "spot" and I swear is like Sheldon on Big Bang and gets all twitterpated if you are in his spot.

twowhat?
02-25-2012, 11:51 PM
At night, ours sleep on dog beds in our bedroom. They're just pushed up next to the window. I can't imagine them sleeping in a separate room even though the human kids do! :) During the day they prefer to lay down wherever we are. We haven't used a crate for years, since they can be trusted. They are not allowed on our bed or furniture, though I've caught them sneaking into the girls' LON chairs before hahahaha.

And they're way better sleepers than any human child. The only times they've woken us at night is if they were sick.

AngB
02-26-2012, 12:50 AM
Yep, ours are in our room too and they wake me up ALL the time... either licking or roaming around the room. I never even thought that someday they may want to sleep with DD! Something to look forward too.

We have a dog bed hidden beside the couch that they share.

Our dogs are pretty good sleepers most of the time (though one of them snores, not as bad as DH's snoring), but my issue is the crates! We have a german shepherd mix and husky so their crates are NOT small. Between two large dog crates, a queen bed, and then the pack n play/bassinet/rock n play for DS, our room is a decent sized room that gets really really cramped. Neither dog needs to be crated at night, but our husky needs to be crated if we aren't home, and our other dog LOVES her crate, so we're stuck with two large crates in our room.

rin
02-26-2012, 01:02 AM
We have three dog beds; one in our bedroom, one in our office, and one in the living room. She pretty much sleeps on whichever one is in the room we're all in, so at night she sleeps with us but during the day she's either in the study or the living room (depending on who's home, what we're doing, etc).

lcarlson90
02-26-2012, 01:32 AM
At night we move the crate up-stairs next to our bed and we bring it down in the morning and it stays in the family room during the day. Our puppy is only 15 weeks old so if I didn't have him in my room at night I think he would cry.

dogmom
02-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Before our under the covers sleeping hound dog we had a crate in the bedroom and in the living room. Our dogs like to be near us. I actually used a wire crate with a board on top with nice fabric over it as a side table for years. There are some really nice wicker looking and wood crates also that can not stick out in a room. I would worry about weather, pests, other animals if I let my dog sleep outside.

doberbrat
02-26-2012, 11:26 AM
we have dog beds next to our bed and next to dd1's bed. when Marco was crated at night, his crate was right next to our bed as well. When Ny was young we did have her crate in the dining room b/c there was just no room in our room. But eventually she graduated to a bed in our room.

gatorsmom
02-26-2012, 07:35 PM
. I actually used a wire crate with a board on top with nice fabric over it as a side table for years. There are some really nice wicker looking and wood crates also that can not stick out in a room.

Wow, what a good idea!

crl
02-26-2012, 07:40 PM
If you are on pinterest, you can search dog crate for a bunch of ideas, including one built from Ana White plans that looks nice.

Catherine

Eta. Here's a direct link to the Ana White one: http://ana-white.com/2011/03/rorys-house