PDA

View Full Version : discouraged with the reading

eagle
02-26-2012, 05:34 AM
hey can anybody help me get my boy to sit still for 1 or maybe 2 (i can dream cant i) minutes? id like to read to him but he wont sit still anymore. i wasnt the best at it to begin with but id like to start again. its so discouraging.

hes just over 2 years old now.

ive considered staggering lunch time so i eat alone quickly and maybe spend his entire lunch reading to him. he does self feed mostly...

any other tips or tricks or words of encouragement would be GREATLY appreciated... thanks!!!

eagle
02-26-2012, 05:36 AM
and i do mean literally 1 minute. he used to be very sweet and sit next to me and pull up a pillow and blanket. now when he sees a book he will run away with whatever train hes obsessing over for that day.

ljackson
02-26-2012, 06:26 AM
now when he sees a book he will run away with whatever train hes obsessing over for that day.

Does he have any books about trains, or any books that he chose at the library or the store? Maybe flap books or pop-up books would interest him more than others. (Even if he destroyed a couple it wouldn't be the end of the world.)

Hope you find something that works - it's so nice when they snuggle up with you and a book.

georgiegirl
02-26-2012, 07:53 AM
My now 2.5 year old DS didn't like story books until a few months ago. Before that he only liked books with pictures (photographs) of trucks, trains, cars, etc. he would flip through the pages and ask, what's that until he leaned what everything was. Then he'd go though and ask me which was my favorite. Get something like "my first truck book" from the board book area. They also have bigger board books like that. When he began liking story books, it was something short and simple like "head shoulders knees and toes" or something like a Sandra boynton book. And then he'd want the same one over and over.

Try not to worry. My daughter liked books and reading way earlier than my son.

123LuckyMom
02-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Read to him anyway, even if it seems he's not participating. I agree with the other posters to try to find books that match his interests. Then get him in a smaller room with a door, like his bedroom, and let him play while you read. If you keep at it by feigning great excitement at the pictures and story, he'll come over to peek once in a while, and his interest will grow. Also, you could try taking him to reading circles at your local library or play groups. The peer pressure of the other kids might help quite a lot. Don't be discouraged! He may not show interest now, but you'll be giving him exposure to books and reading, and you may be shocked at how much he absorbs when you think he's not paying attention!

wellyes
02-26-2012, 09:31 AM
Read to him anyway, even if it seems he's not participating.

This exactly. He'll come back to it, and for now, keep up the exposure.

Ceepa
02-26-2012, 09:35 AM
IME they go through phases of having the attention span for books. Keep reading to him, keep books with his interests available and let him see you reading, too. He'll come back to it once he's done exploring the rest of his world for a while. :)

MamaMolly
02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
And what about reading to him at quiet time? Like getting ready for nap or bed? We made cuddly time for reading before sleep and it is still going. Don't give up, he'll come back around. He is actually doing what he's supposed to right now, developmentally speaking.

vludmilla
02-26-2012, 10:05 AM
I think at that age my DD wouldn't always sit still for an entire reading of a book. I remember just continuing to read to her even if she got up to do something else. I would sometimes try to read with extra enthusiasm at those times and she would keep listening and even return at times to look at the book while I was reading.

Green_Tea
02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
As other posters have said, this is not something to worry about. Two year olds are very busy and aren't known for their attention span or patience :). It's fine to read aloud to him while he plays nearby, or just look at a page or two and then move on. You don't need to make mealtimes about reading unless you want to! Or you can combine storytime and snack time, so that you don't have to rush through your meal. I agree that letting him see you read is a great way to model good reading habits. Don't stress!

misshollygolightly
02-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Maybe read to him during his bath time? Would he be more receptive if you let him pick out books from the library (make a fun outing of it)? Maybe try a storytime at the lib. or bookstore so someone else is reading and he has the "peer pressure" of seeing other kids listening quietly.

eagle
02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
thank you all for the encouraging words! i will continue to read even if hes not paying attention.

i will get a train book (probably thomas) and i will also try reading with A LOT more enthusiasm (usually i just give up these days) and just finish. ill keep at it.

im glad i posted here! :cheerleader1:

Seitvonzu
02-26-2012, 11:40 AM
have you seen the walmart book thread in the bargains section? there is an AMAZING deal (5 books for 6 dollars shipped to your local walmart) for pop-up bug books that are really engaging and fun :) they are cheap enough that you wouldn't have to worry about him destroying too much (and if you're there they are pretty durable). they also have some other sets that are pretty good-- esp. the bear books- those are BEAUTIFUL, engaging, repetitive (great for the age), etc. really nice books! (and i am NOT a fan of walmart typically, but this deal has been great...) oh-- they also have these books that turn into vehicles! my daughter had a huge book that she could make into a "fence" at that age with the day/night sky on it-- she LOVED that thing and i'd read the words to her as she played... i get the sense that the vehicle "books" are like that (but haven't picked mine up yet, so i can't be 100% sure they are cool :)

i second , third, fourth the library suggestion. if you have a good children's section with librarians, that's even better. our library actually has toys that they loan out---i always find that comforting b/c it says to me "reading is important, but it can be balanced with play and kids playing is pretty darn important!" librarians might be able to help you figure out what sort of books would be best for a wiggler...and how to amp up to more "story" type books (eventually) plus-- letting your kid choose. this is HUGE.

flaps.flaps.flaps. or pop-ups. touch and feel. but mostly flaps .flaps.flaps. my kid LOVES flaps. she is 2 months into 4 years. i'm convinced that her calculus text book in high school better have flaps because there is something addictive about them to her ! i actually just pulled out an easter joke book i bought last year and realized it has flaps and started squealing last night... magic, those flaps!

i also think that access is super important at your sons age. it would be my impulse to have books EVERYWHERE, not just in their bedroom. we have shelves, but also bins that are portable. when lu was little i even had books in the kitchen-- you know, books about veggies/fruits/healthy eating/growing food/"cookbooks" etc. there were books in the bedroom, living room, playroom, basement, even in the bathrooms... pretty much everywhere. the bins and her shelf in the living room allowed her to explore books in her own way and made her more receptive to reading with me.

good luck! and if your kiddo still isn't receptive, don't sweat it too much. just keep being a great example and it will come.

Seitvonzu
02-26-2012, 11:42 AM
one of my child's favorite type of "book" for a long time was the ones that are really collections of songs. is your son into music? my daughter had a thomas themed one and once we'd sung the songs together a couple times she would go through the whole book singing the different songs on the appropriate page by herself. maybe something like that would be another fun book to add to his collection?

babyonbrain
02-26-2012, 12:14 PM
My almost 3 year old is obsessed with Thomas, so we have a collection of inexpensive thomas books. They are the ones that kids use when they first start to read themselves, so the text is simple. The one he really likes is "Trouble in the tunnel" because it follows the Misty island movie.

I also find that my son likes books where there is a storyline as opposed to books that just names things. For example, he likes "knuffle bunny" but doesn't like "brown bear brown bear" anymore.

Sometimes if my son is not interested in a book I'll sit down and start reading next to him and usually he will sit down for a few pages.

Good luck!

eagle
02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
i do go to the library but i dont take him to story time anymore since he just gets antsy and doesnt want to stay put. and when we do go on our time, he just plays with the blocks and the train table. i am over to the side reading something though. maybe i will try the story times again.

seitvonzu (ha, LOVE your name!), i WILL check out the walmart deal. also do you know about the song books title? is it one of these?

http://amzn.to/wBnDwI
http://amzn.to/xq7PNe
http://amzn.to/ADbiC6 ?

we have done flap books and he was interested for a while but he started to tear the flaps out and then hes been running away so i turned to more story based books for now...

baileygirl
02-26-2012, 12:35 PM
You might also try reading to him while he takes a bath. You might try the Thomas set called "My Red Railway Book Box", because the books are fairly short.

Seitvonzu
02-26-2012, 02:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-Sing-Along-Christmas-Songs/dp/1412738989/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330279767&sr=1-3

i think it's this one... i haven't seen it in a while, because i have a "seasonally appropriate" rule that i'm usually able to enforce :) we also have a princess song book , but i'm not sure that's what your looking for :)

we have the railway box too-- those were HUGE hits-- my favorite was "crack in the track" :)
http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-Railway-Bright-Early/dp/0375843221/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330279887&sr=1-1

hellokitty
02-26-2012, 02:23 PM
Don't worry, this is a phase. DS1 was our child who loved reading from 3 mo of age. DS2 and DS3 have been a different story. They could never sit still enough to read books until closer to age 3. DS2 is now age 6 and loves books. DS3 is a little past 2.5 yrs old and finally at the stage where he can sit and listen to an entire story and he will keep bringing us different books to read to him. So, while I understand your worry, give it time. Some kids who are more high energy just have a hard time sitting still long enough to be read to.

I have found that picture books, like the ones that are literally pictures (with a word IDing the picture) are good at this age where they are too squirmy to sit still for a book. This way you are still building up their vocab. I also encourage tactile books. The usborne touchy feely series was one of the first ones DS3 was interested in. They are short and toddlers love touching the different textures on each page. He also loves pop up books. I HATE noisy books, the child gets too distracted and just keeps pushing buttons and doesn't want to listen, so I find though just to be purely, "toy" books, not really that great for reading.

sste
02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
In your situation, I have read to my kids when they are in their highchairs or a strapped in booster seat while they are eating - - I keep a basket of books by the kitchen table usually. I also have books that go in the bathtub and I have read there.

I also try to positively reinforce reading by "setting the scene" - - the child sits on my lap, I smooch and praise and sometimes offer fresh baked cookies (no joke, these kiddos are pavlovian!).

For my DD, first thing in the morning is her best reading time. She comes into my bed and I have a basket of her books on my bedside table and she chooses them one at a time and we snuggle.

If your kid is going through an activity burst you can use these strategies to good effect but the most important thing is to keep your expectations low and keep it fun. My DS had and has an incredible reading attention span - - he would sit for 30 minutes, 45 minutes at 10-18 months . . . but he was delayed in his gross motor skills and has never been a physical kid. I was kind of worried when DD, who is 17 months would sit for "only" 20 minutes or so. But DH wisely pointed out that DD is practically a triathlete compared to DS who was kind of a captive audience. :)

kmkaull
02-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Until my son was about 26 months old, I read to him when he was in the bathtub. Sometimes he appeared to listen, sometimes not. But it was the only time I had him quiet and confined. ;-)

Then I started a routine of going to the library every single week. We also put bedtime reading in our routine. Same thing every night--read on my bed, 2 books. Again, sometimes he was jumping on the bed, sometimes he'd get down, I would just keep reading. Eventually I figured out he loved Curious George and Little Critter books. Those keep his interest. I would just keep hunting for the books he'll sit for.

Preschool has also helped. Something about sitting at circle time and listening to teachers read. Don't stress. This will get better!

hellokitty
02-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh and after trying to take my older boys (18 mo apart) to story time at the library for over a yr, and being completely frustrated (and getting dirty looks from moms whose children would perfectly sit still the entire time), I gave up going to story time. I felt bad about it at first, but realize that not all kids will sit still for 20+ min for story time. Mine were the ones running around the room and trying to re-arrange the librarians felt story board. My kids love books and I feel that if going to story time is stressing you out (chasing after your kid) and your child isn't getting much out of it, then don't go. Find other activities to do. There are still ways to work in literature into your child's life and like I said before, some kids just aren't able to really sit until they are closer to 3. That has been the case with my younger two boys. My oldest has always loved books, but did horribly at story time (too distracted), so don't go to story time if it's stressful and a waste of time.

smilequeen
02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
When mine were in that phase I just read while they ran around. I went in their bedroom, shut the door and read. Eventually they started wanting to sit again, but the first 2 were very different...my oldest almost always sat, my middle son had a lonnnnnggggg phase like that.