PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take your appetite to ebb, when breastfeeding?

momm
02-26-2012, 12:27 PM
I've heard some of you say that your appetite plateaued after a few months of breastfeeding, although you were continuing breastfeeding. Is that true for everyone?

The reason I ask is, I'm on my 17th month of bf-ing, but I still eat like four times a day, and not limited meals!!

it's gone down since the first few months, but nowhere near "normal" or pre-pregnancy. Am I just using breastfeeding as an excuse to pig out??

Anyone else?

Multiple choices for multiple kids!

o_mom
02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I always had a huge appetite while nursing. It was a shock when I stopped (after almost six years of pg or bf) that I could no longer order a restaurant meal with appetizer and dessert - I would be full halfway through just the meal. I was lucky that I have pretty good hunger cues, so I didn't keep eating the same amount, but just had to adjust my expectations.

egoldber
02-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I also had a big appetite when nursing. Even when it was just a small amount, like between when she was 2-3.5 (when she weaned) and was only nursing once or twice a day.

It was HUGE shock to my system (and my weight :o ) when I stopped nursing.

anonomom
02-26-2012, 01:10 PM
For me, the first few months were always the worst, but it would still take over a year for me to settle back into "normal" habits.

but then, I also gain weight when I'm nursing, even when I am careful about food and I work out. I spent a long time being frustrated before I figured this out.

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Never had an increAsed appetite with ds1. With ds2 it only lasted 2 months.

twowhat?
02-26-2012, 03:02 PM
10 months. Basically when they started STTN consistently.

fedoragirl
02-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I eat ALL the time. It's ridiculous. Now that I have cut out dairy from my diet it's getting harder to put my hands on foods that I can actually eat but I am hungry quite a lot. I usually start controlling my diet 6 months after nursing because I just keep gaining weight. I definitely lost a lot of my weight and hunger after I weaned DD. We'll see how it goes when it's time to wean DS.

daniele_ut
02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
DS will be 11 weeks old tomorrow and my appetite has stabilized in the last 2 weeks. DS has been sleeping through the night for the last 2 weeks :cheerleader1: so that could be why.

hellokitty
02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
I definitely have a larger appetite while nursing. More so during the first yr, but even after that initial first yr, I still have a larger than normal appetite, even if I am only nursing a few times a day. I am looking forward to weaning DS3 when he turns 3 this summer and seeing if it will help me drop some of the wt. I have been either nursing or pregnant for 8 yrs and while I've lost a few lbs through diet and exercise, it always creeps back on if I am not super diligent about watching every bite and working out a lot (ie: I can't seem to lose any wt unless I'm working out at leat 5-6x a wk).

AnnieW625
02-26-2012, 09:21 PM
I did not have an increased appetite while nursing either of my kids.

momm
02-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Ahh thanks for the responses.

So, realistically, I can expect this baby weight to remain on me till DS goes to college? OK. That sounds about right.

hellokitty
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Ahh thanks for the responses.

So, realistically, I can expect this baby weight to remain on me till DS goes to college? OK. That sounds about right.

Lol. I'm hoping to see some wt loss (w/o effort) once DS3 weans, but yeah if the wt sticks around I'll blame it on my kids, lol.