PDA

View Full Version : I'm perplexed at DS's chickenpox. Help?

Sopamanda
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
And it doesn't help that we're between pediatricians. Literally.

I saw a few red spots on Wednesday evening. Three. Thought they were pimples, completely disregarded.

Thursday we had 15. Strongly suspected chickenpox. Yes, he's been vaccinated.

I'm 36w pregnant and this is a big deal although I've had them as a child. Knew I had to get him in to be seen.

Friday: New ped doesn't have his records yet, although I suspect they've been requested. Took him to old ped and nurse ran to our car to check him. I also suspect they didn't check records (where they may have noticed we've requested them to be transferred to another pediatrician. She said it sure looked like early chickenpox. Send the kiddo back to school after they've crusted. (Gross)

Friday-Saturday. Still only 15 pox. No blisters. No fever. No itches.

Sunday am. Fever hit. 103. Still 15 pox. No blisters, no itches. Has developed a cough.

So clearly we need to wait out the fever but if they don't blister (I'm thinking as he's been vaccinated that's what we're dealing with here?) when do I send him back to school???

Yes, I understand at 36 weeks it's very serious if I contract the virus. I'm staying away as much as I can and washing hands constantly. We're doing all that we can and if I show symptoms I'll call OB asap.

KrisM
02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
My kids were not itchy much at all. DS2's scalp bothered him. Otherwise, they were all uncomfortable, but not very itchy. No one complained about itching, but I did notice them squirming to itch a bit.

They definitely had more than 15 spots. I never noticed much in the 'blister' phase, but could tell when they were drying out and fading.

My kids were not vaccinated. Maybe he's just having a very mild case, since he was vaccinated?

JBaxter
02-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Having the vaccine by no way keeps you from getting the chicken pox. My oldest 2 were vaccinated and did both have the chicken pox. The vaccine is supposed to stop him from getting a bad case so get it documented and he will not have to have any follow up vaccines. My friends son had 6 pox and didn't act sick at all. Jack had a natural case and it was also mild. He was still breast feeding at the time though.

If YOU had chicken pox as a child you do not have any worries. Your immunity protects the baby. I was exposed while I was pregnant with Jack and my OB said it was not big deal.

You can send him if the blisters have crusted and he is fever free for 24 hrs. < per my ped any way>

Cam&Clay
02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
DS1 had the vaccine and then had a mild case after being exposed to my brother, who had shingles. I'd say he had maybe 20 spots. He was mildly uncomfortable. No fever really. He missed a few days of school, but it wasn't too big of a deal.

Sopamanda
02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
Yup. Not perplexed that he got chickenpox; more perplexed of the order of symptoms and lack of blisters. I understand that once they crust they're free to go to school, but what if they never actually blister?

Anyone btdt?

Thatchermom
02-26-2012, 04:09 PM
DD (also vaxed) had a very similar case this fall when our beloved ped was on vacation. I went around in circles with the fill-in doc with the same question, never got a clear answer from him. DDs never crusted. Her mild fever diminished, and there was a time when the blisters changed from looking full to looking flat and less red/irritated. There was a marked change. We still waited a day or two longer since it was not following the standard guidelines. We answered lots of questions as she returned to activities since we didn't fit the qualifiers for returning. We'd still be at home if we waited for crusties :)

Sopamanda
02-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks susan. Still no blisters at all.

I'll give him Monday at home, then back to school unless something progresses. THat should give him 24 hours sans fever.

Then, baby can come!

mom3boys
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
My friend's son had chicken pox after being vaccinated. My friend is a doctor--not a pediatrician though--but didn't recognize his symptoms as chicken pox because he had so few (I think almost none) pox.

The pediatrician told her that, this is what chicken pox often looks like in a vaccinated child--i.e., fever and I think he had a bit of a rash but not separate spots. Versus when my friend was trained in med school the medical books at least had the classical pictures/description of the chicken pox that we all probably had as kids. So don't let the symptoms dissuade you from thinking it's chicken pox.