PDA

View Full Version : Suburu Reliability

Kindra178
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Going to pull the plug on buying an Outback soon. We keep our cars a very long time, but don't drive much. Our almost 12 year Maxima just breached the 40,000 mark. Our Sienna will be 4 in August and I think it has 11,000 miles on it. For us, reliability is everything. We are not car people; we just really like super safe people movers and don't do much else other than getting the oil changed. For Suburu owners, would you buy your car again?

AnnieW625
02-26-2012, 08:06 PM
You'll be fine with a Subaru since don't drive a lot. After about 100k they get to be a little temperamental, but just make sure you have a good independent mechanic with Subaru experience to work on it.

I had mine in the mid to late 1990s (an 88 GL wagon) and loved it, and have never ruled out owning another, and if we lived somewhere where AWD was necessary it would probably be the only brand we'd look at.

hillview
02-26-2012, 08:13 PM
We are in year 4 of ours and it has been 100% the whole time

mypa
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
My Subaru is 10yrs old and still going strong, have not had any problems.

crl
02-26-2012, 08:25 PM
We have had ours for 8 years, love it, plan to drive it into the ground. Would definitely buy it again. My SIL drove one that was used when she got it until it was nearly twenty years old.

Catherine

georgiegirl
02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Dh has TriBeCa (purchased new 5 years ago), and he's never had any issues with it. His commute is 12 miles each way, and we use the minivan on weekends, so it doesn't have a lot of mileage. He loves it!

o_mom
02-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Our Outback died a very expensive death at 8 years and just under 90k miles (cost us around $6k over a 3 month period - transmission, water pump, radiator, and finally head gasket/engine, which we didn't fix before trading it in). We had done all the maintenance, etc. and it was not hard driven to die so early. I don't think we would get one again, even though we loved how it drove up until then.

hellokitty
02-26-2012, 08:39 PM
I had a 1998 subaru legacy sedan that I just sold a few months ago. It had ZERO problems the entire time we had it. DH has a 2001 or 2002 subaru WRX, it has no very few problems. Neither car had a ton of miles on it. I was surprised how much we got for the 1998, we sold it in less than a day and ppl were practically fighting over it.

ecofem
02-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Our 2006 Outback is at 102,000 miles and going strong!

AnnieW625
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Ours died a very expensive death at 8 years and just under 90k miles (cost us around $6k over a 3 month period - transmission, water pump, radiator, and finally head gasket, which we didn't fix before trading it in). We had done all the maintenance, etc. and it was not hard driven to die so early. I don't think we would get one again, even though we loved how it drove up until then.

we had similar issues with mine at around 134,000, and I think it was about 11 yrs. old when that happened (I don't really remember), and the worst of it was that our old mechanic kind of screwed things up on it and didn't know how to fix it, which is why I mentioned making sure that you have a quality Subaru trained mechanic. The head gasket was what did it in for us though. Prior to that the only issue we'd ever had with the car was having to replace the timing belt. My dad went to get the car smogged so he could donate it to charity and the guy at smog shop ended up buying it from us and rebuilt the entire thing and it ended up running for a few years after that as we would see it driving around, but at the time we were forced to sell it I didn't have close to $2000 that it would have cost to get the thing up and running again as I had just bought my first used Corolla for just $4000 and I knew that would be a better investment than spending $2000 on a car I wasn't sure how long it would run for.

tribe pride
02-26-2012, 09:45 PM
Our Outback is only 4 years old, but no problems so far. I would be happy driving an Outback the rest of my life, really!

mom2binsd
02-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Going to pull the plug on buying an Outback soon. We keep our cars a very long time, but don't drive much. Our almost 12 year Maxima just breached the 40,000 mark. Our Sienna will be 4 in August and I think it has 11,000 miles on it.

Wow, how do you not put any miles on your vehicles?

crl
02-26-2012, 10:22 PM

Not the OPer, but my 8 year old Forester has under 40,000. I don't WOH (and when I did I took public transit) and we have lived in very walkable places. Most weeks now I drive to the grocery store once and to school once or twice to pick up ds on days he has an activity so he can't take the bus. That's it, otherwise I walk everywhere.

Catherine

sste
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Kindra, can you fit three in the backseat in an outback? Or is that not your plan?

I just got rid of a 17 year old legacy . . . it was a very reliable car throughout the time my ILs owned it and then I had it for its "end of life" years and it did need repairs at least once per year. But, that was years 14-17 and nothing extremely expensive went out on it.

rin
02-26-2012, 10:34 PM
We inherited my grandparents' '94 Subaru Legacy around 2003. Drove it to the ground really; I was in college and didn't have the first idea about car maintenance, so aside from putting gas in it and checking/changing the oil periodically, it only ever got attention when something broke. I think over the next 8 years we probably spent around $2-$3k on maintenance issues (new CV joints, some new belts, some stuff like that, nothing really major though. Probably the most expensive thing was the automatic seatbelt went out, which cost almost 1k to fix, but I don't think anyone does automatic seatbelts anymore, do they?

In that time, we drove it cross-country several times, and it had around 140k miles on it when we finally gave it to a younger family member. I would absolutely buy another Subaru, and the only reason we didn't was because we wanted a 5-seater, and Subaru 5-seaters (Outback, Legacy, Forester) are supposed to have sort of finicky backseats for carseat installation, as well as limited back-to-front room for RF installs. I totally would've gone for it if we knew we were done w/2 and didn't have any RF kids, or didn't mind not using the center seat.

daniele_ut
02-26-2012, 10:38 PM
You'll be fine with a Subaru since don't drive a lot. After about 100k they get to be a little temperamental, but just make sure you have a good independent mechanic with Subaru experience to work on it.

This has not been my experience at all. We have a 2001 Impreza Outback Sport that now has 183,000 miles on it. We bought it in 2002 with 15K miles on it. Dh has used it to commute up to 50 miles each way daily for the last 7 years and it has not had a single mechanical problem that I can remember. The power locks went funky after dh tried to install a new battery a few months ago but it was a cheap fix. We did just spend $1000 to replace the struts, but they had never been done! We plan to drive it into the ground.

Our dear friends are serious Subaru devotees and have 5 in their family - all with high miles and very reliable. Before I got pregnant with DS2 last spring we were thisclose to buying a 2011 Outback, but with 3 kids and carpool that wasn't going to work for us. I stare longingly at them on the road, since they are one of the most popular vehicles in Utah. I wish they made a 7 passenger vehicle other than the Tribeca. We'd rather have a Subaru than a minivan! I'm hoping dh's car lasts 2 more years and then I'd like to replace it with a 2012 Impreza, They are supposed to get 36mpg.

We have a local shop that specializes in Subaru, VW and Audi and they do great work.

hellokitty
02-26-2012, 11:05 PM
I wish they made a 7 passenger vehicle other than the Tribeca. We'd rather have a Subaru than a minivan!

:yeahthat: I love my honda ody, but I would prefer a subaru and had hoped for yrs that they would make their own version of a minivan. The tribeca is kind of meh to me, it doesn't suit our family's needs.

twowhat?
02-26-2012, 11:13 PM
:yeahthat: I love my honda ody, but I would prefer a subaru and had hoped for yrs that they would make their own version of a minivan. The tribeca is kind of meh to me, it doesn't suit our family's needs.

Same here, exactly!

Our 2005 Forester has had no problems. We do keep up with the maintenance though, and I have been told to expect an expensive fix somewhere down the line since I splurged on the turbo for zoom zoom.

Kindra178
02-26-2012, 11:13 PM

We have always lived in an urban area. We take public transit to work and walk to the train. School is less than a mile away and we walk to preschool, weather permitting.

Kindra, can you fit three in the backseat in an outback? Or is that not your plan?

Yes, that is our plan. Based on the specs, we think we can do it, especially with a booster in the middle. It will be our second car, so it won't be an every day thing. I just want to be able to have that option in a second car.

Kindra178
02-26-2012, 11:17 PM
We have always lived in an urban area. We take public transit to work and walk to the train. School is less than a mile away and we walk to preschool, weather permitting.

Yes, that is our plan. Based on the specs, we think we can do it, especially with a booster in the middle. It will be our second car, so it won't be an every day thing. I just want to be able to have that option in a second car.

Daniele, will the new Impreza fit three across?

jjordan
02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
We have a 97 legacy station wagon with 185k miles. We bought it 4-ish years ago for about $3k with 117k miles. It's been a good car for us, and terrific in snow. It is pretty good for 3 across (car seats), but the outback wagons are a little trickier.

sste
02-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Kindra, if you get it please update me on the three across! I would love a suby outback but we are thinking about a third so that would be on infant, one convertible and I guess DS could move from frontier to booster. You may want to try the actual install before you buy - - I think I read somewhere that you can install but the buckling the booster is hard or somesuch.

crl
02-27-2012, 12:08 AM
I have a neighbor with three across in an outback. Her kids are 6, nearly 4 and 2. They are all FF in Radians.

Catherine

ETA she tried the six year old in a booster but it was too hard to buckle so she went with the three Radians.

daniele_ut
02-27-2012, 01:06 AM
Daniele, will the new Impreza fit three across?

I have no idea! We haven't even looked at it IRL yet, but I don't think our current Impreza will fit 3 across so I wasn't really thinking about it. Right now we take the van when we all need to go somewhere.

I know there is someone on car-seat.org who drives a newer version of the Impreza wagon and has 3 across, but I don't know if she has a booster. I actually haven't tried installing my Cocorro in the center of our Impreza, but if I could get it to work, I might get 3 across in there. The center of ours is a tricky lap belt, though that would not be the case in the 2012.

marymoo86
02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Same here, exactly!

Our 2005 Forester has had no problems. We do keep up with the maintenance though, and I have been told to expect an expensive fix somewhere down the line since I splurged on the turbo for zoom zoom.

What fix? I have this exact model too :(

I have 78k right now and know the timing belt will be upcoming. I only put about 500 miles a month on it now since I changed jobs.

It's been a great car.

egoldber
02-27-2012, 09:41 AM
My SIL has an early 2000s Outback and it's had a history of minor engine problems.

Like any vehicle yours may be great....or not. You also can't really compare the reliability of a vehicle manufactured 10 years ago with one being manufactured today. It's likely completely different parts/components and possible entirely different manufacturing facility. You need to look at reliability for more recently purchased vehicles. I would look for a Subaru-philes forum and read there to get a better read on current reliability experiences.

It's also actually harder on a vehicle to be driven for lots of short distance trips. Lots of stopping and starting is harder on an engine than long distance driving at relatively constant highway speed.

ETA: I found this board by Googling Subaru message board: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

hellokitty
02-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I have no idea! We haven't even looked at it IRL yet, but I don't think our current Impreza will fit 3 across so I wasn't really thinking about it. Right now we take the van when we all need to go somewhere.

I know there is someone on car-seat.org who drives a newer version of the Impreza wagon and has 3 across, but I don't know if she has a booster. I actually haven't tried installing my Cocorro in the center of our Impreza, but if I could get it to work, I might get 3 across in there. The center of ours is a tricky lap belt, though that would not be the case in the 2012.

Woah, I'm impressed ppl can get 3 across in an impreza, the newer ones must be bigger. DH's WRX is a 2002, there is NO way that would happen. Even if the middle seat was RF and puzzled together btwn two britax boosters. We tried it a couple yrs ago and DH got pissed that I even had him try to see if it was possible.

froggert
02-27-2012, 09:46 AM
some of the legacys and outbacks from the late 90's and early 2000's with the dohc 2.5l engine have issues with head gaskets. timing belt is considered a maintenance item on these cars, and it makes sense to replace the water pump at the same time since most of the labor will be done anyway.

we currently have a 2011 outback and 2012 legacy, have owned two other legacys in the past and will probably buy another subaru down the road when we need a new car.

hellokitty
02-27-2012, 09:49 AM
some of the legacys and outbacks from the late 90's and early 2000's with the dohc 2.5l engine have issues with head gaskets. timing belt is considered a maintenance item on these cars, and it makes sense to replace the water pump at the same time since most of the labor will be done anyway.

we currently have a 2011 outback and 2012 legacy, have owned two other legacys in the past and will probably buy another subaru down the road when we need a new car.

I agree with the timing belt. My DH has been VERY anal about making sure that those get changed ahead of the schedule to prevent any issues with our subarus.

ladysoapmaker
02-27-2012, 09:59 AM
DH & I have had a Subaru almost the entire time we've been married. We have found them very reliable and DH likes the fact that the older models he can repair and maintain very easily. The only one we didn't sell to a stranger, we actually sold for parts to DH's father, it had been totaled, t-boned to the passenger side so the engine compartment was fine.

Though I am scared, DS#1 will be learning to drive soon and I'm so worried he'll strip the clutch. But as DH put it, we'll be able to replace it ourselves. (Actually we'll make DS#1 replace it with DH's help). We are hoping after DH graduates and gets a job and I get a job we can find a cheap Subaru for DS#1 to fix up so he has a car when he does get his license.

Jen

khalloc
02-27-2012, 10:22 AM
I have an '05 Outback wagon. I love it. I bought it new in August 2004. It has almost 90K miles on it. My husband does most of the maintenance work on it. It needs new brakes regularly. He just replaced the struts. But havent had anything unusual done on it.

ETA: The only reason I wouldnt buy another Subaru is the gas mileage. I have the 6-cylindar engine and I'm paying about $50 a week to fill it up. I live in northern VT, but I dont really need the AWD I feel like. My next car will probably be a Prius, solely for the gas mileage.

Kindra178
02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
My SIL has an early 2000s Outback and it's had a history of minor engine problems.

Like any vehicle yours may be great....or not. You also can't really compare the reliability of a vehicle manufactured 10 years ago with one being manufactured today. It's likely completely different parts/components and possible entirely different manufacturing facility. You need to look at reliability for more recently purchased vehicles. I would look for a Subaru-philes forum and read there to get a better read on current reliability experiences.

It's also actually harder on a vehicle to be driven for lots of short distance trips. Lots of stopping and starting is harder on an engine than long distance driving at relatively constant highway speed.

ETA: I found this board by Googling Subaru message board: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

I have heard that. For us, it could take 45 minutes to drive 8 miles. . .so tons of stopping and starting.

trales
02-27-2012, 10:29 AM
We have had a '97 impreza, '02 Legacy, have an'07 outback and a new '12 impreza. Our '02 died a very expensive death, but that year consumer reports labeled as not as reliable as other years. That did not stop us from getting new Subarus. You would have to have thin car seats to get three across in the new impreza.

I recently put two britax boulevards in the back and it was tight, in that I don't think much could have fit between them. I would take the seats to the dealership and install them. I did.

It is the easiest car seat install I have ever had. I could not believe how easy it was. So much easier than the "07 outback.

We are very happy with it.

twowhat?
02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
What fix? I have this exact model too :(

I have 78k right now and know the timing belt will be upcoming. I only put about 500 miles a month on it now since I changed jobs.

It's been a great car.

I'm not sure...all I know is it will be something related to the turbo. They told me that at some point (can't remember the mileage) I should get some expensive turbo component replaced because if it breaks it would be even more expensive to fix. I need to go digging online to find out...

I really love this little car though, so it's worth it...I imagine it will be handed down to the girls 15 years down the road if it's still running well since it's a very safe car. And I will then like the fact that I will make them pay for their own gas...and it's premium...mwahahaha!

pastrygirl
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm currently driving my second Forester. My husband plans to get an Outback when it's time to replace his car.

boolady
02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
I love my 2005 Forester, purchased new in August 2004. My baby has 160,000 miles on her, and has never had any reliability problems whatsoever. As a few PP noted, you've got to get to a timing belt before it goes, because it's much cheaper to replace it and the water pump before the timing belt breaks than after it breaks and you've got to repair all of the damage it does when it breaks. I know for my Forester we replaced it around 108,000? 110,000? because they tell you it's going to go by 120,000 or so. It wasn't cheap, but since we've kept up on maintenance with the car and replaced what needed to be replaced when it should have been, I intend to keep driving it for the foreseeable future.

And yes, stop-and-go driving puts far more wear and tear on a car than smooth highway driving at a consistent speed.