PDA

View Full Version : Variation on the 'keep' or 'toss' - should I keep the anniversary ring?

erosenst
02-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Our 10th anniversary is approaching. When we got married, we chose a plain wedding band (we're Jewish, and it's traditional for the wedding band to not have stones). We had somewhat discussed an anniversary band for our 10th, which of course seemed 'forever' away.

I've casually looked at anniversary bands over the last year, and could never find anything I liked with my rings. We were in NY last summer, and had a little time in the diamond district (on Saturday, so not much was open) and I found that the right size channel set band looked very nice.

Fast forward to this week. We know a jeweler well, who sent a variety of sizes of channel set rings. I definitely like this size the best (thicker ones are....too thick!). But it's odd - sometimes I really like the way it looks...and sometimes, not so much. I think. :confused:

So - thought I'd ask for opinions here. The anniversary band is the lowest/thinnest. It's smaller than my ring size, so all are on my pinky rather than ring finger in this picture.

If there's another setting that you think might work, I'm all ears. (Or eyes...?) And if your opinion is "send it back" there's no issue. With the jeweler, DH, or me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

BabyBearsMom
02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
I like the anniversary band but I wouldn't wear it with the wedding set. I would wear it on my right ring finger instead and leave the wedding set in tact. I don't know if it is traditional to stack all three, but having the older rings right next to the new one isn't a great look to me.

kristenk
02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
What about putting the anniversary band on the outside of the engagement ring? I don't know if there's some sort of official placement that you're following with the anniversary band, though.

AnnieW625
02-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I think all three rings together is a little much, and honestly if you aren't sold on the diamond anniversary ring don't do it. Your engagement ring is beautiful on it's own and I don't think you need more diamonds unless you really want them! Instead of the anniversary band I would do diamond stud earrings, a bracelet, or a necklace.

FWIW, my parents have been married for 38 yrs. and my mom still doesn't have a diamond ring. I have a simple band that was designed to go with my engagement ring; it has no stones.

vludmilla
02-26-2012, 09:18 PM
I like the anniversary band but I wouldn't wear it with the wedding set. I would wear it on my right ring finger instead and leave the wedding set in tact.

I agree. DH gave me a sapphire and diamond channel set band for our 5th anniversary and I wear it on my right hand.

I like the ring too!

cuca_
02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
What about putting the anniversary band on the outside of the engagement ring? I don't know if there's some sort of official placement that you're following with the anniversary band, though.

:yeahthat: I like the band, but I agree that it would look better on the outside of your engagement ring. So I would do anniversary band/engagement ring/wedding band.

MamaMolly
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
I like it, but I don't love it. Now your engagement ring is a whole 'nother story! ;) I'd go for a pair of earrings, but that's just me.

hellokitty
02-26-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree with some of the other ppl who suggested wearing your anniversary ring on your right hand. That is what I do. I tried to stack my three rings on my left hand and it just didn't look right.

DietCokeLover
02-26-2012, 10:14 PM
I think the band is beautiful, but I don't like it with the other set....too much. I'd wear it on it's own finger.

larig
02-26-2012, 10:21 PM
It's pretty. Is it comfortable? I find that rings that are too wide bother my fingers, when I bend them.

infomama
02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
I love the band but I would choose a finger on my right hand to wear it on.

maestramommy
02-26-2012, 10:24 PM
I like the anniversary band but I wouldn't wear it with the wedding set. I would wear it on my right ring finger instead and leave the wedding set in tact. I don't know if it is traditional to stack all three, but having the older rings right next to the new one isn't a great look to me.

Agree. All 3 together looks kinda weird.

ETA: Wait, I take that back. I have a question: Was your engagement ring meant to go with the wedding band? Because TBH I think it might look better on your right hand, and then the 2 bands on her left hand would go. I'm ONLY saying this because my engagement ring was not meant to go with my wedding band, and even though I wear them together sometimes it's only because right now it's too small for my RH. They really don't go. When I was engaged I had it sized for my RH because of my job (can't tune instruments with a rock on my LH!). My 10th is coming up too and we're looking at an everyday ring ring to wear.

amatahrain
02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I think I'd prefer the diamonds next to each other.

SummerBaby
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
I love all the rings, especially your engagement ring, but I think the anniversary band would look better on your right hand. It almost detracts from the look of your engagement ring.

erosenst
02-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the input.

Forgot to try it on 'top' before coming upstairs. Will try to do so in the morning.

Appreciate the suggestion of the other hand, but already have a "rolling ring"/trinity ring I got for my first mother's day (we knew DD would be an only....so one band for each of us) and the band (cheap....like $25...but I still love it) DH bought when I couldn't wear my wedding band when I was pg. In addition, I have big fingers, and I think it may be too small on its own.

Your comments confirm it's not great. Think I'm going to follow my history, and wait til I find something I love...and will likely love for years to come. (For those who suggested diamond studs...I have a pair I bought with a gift from my grandparents. It must have been....20!...years ago. I've worn them every day since.)

DebbieJ
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Are those round diamonds? I think a baguette cut diamond would look better with your engagement ring.

elizabethkott
02-27-2012, 12:24 AM
My engagement ring is VERY similar to yours. My wedding band is similar to the anniversary band you have picture, except that it is baguettes as opposed to round stones.
I would suggest that if you go for the anniversary band that you either use that to "replace" your wedding band, or get a ring that is a "stand alone". My mother has a gorgeous 5 stone anniversary band that she uses in place of her wedding band - she rarely wears her engagement ring- on her ring finger.

KLD313
02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Are those round diamonds? I think a baguette cut diamond would look better with your engagement ring.

Yes, I agree baguette cut diamonds may look better. Also, try the band on the hand with the rolling rings, band first then the rolling ring. I used to stack my rolling ring with a band and it looked fine.

spannaz
02-27-2012, 01:23 AM

:yeahthat: can you try the anniversary band on the other side of your engagement ring? I think it might look more balanced. Or is there a reason you have it where it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erosenst
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Out of town on a business trip, so no time to post photos or reply directly to some of the comments, but summary: :)

* Tried on 'top' of my engagement ring. Doesn't work, as engagement ring sits up too high.

* Tried with rolling ring - proportions are wrong. (Each band of rolling ring is wider than anniversary band, and in total is *much* wider).

* Actually the right size to wear with pg wedding band, but metals are don't match *or* complement each other.

* It's too small (well, my fingers are too big!:ROTFLMAO:) to wear on its own.

* Tried the baguette style - but because the baguettes on my engagement ring are tapered, it looks unbalanced (?)

* Yes, the engagement ring and wedding band were purchased to be worn together.

So ... I think the message is that this wasn't to be. Glad I decided to try it though - I'm much happier with the "hmmm - I don't really like it, and don't need anything else" than the "let's just pass" ;) (As in many marriages, there's a 'splurger' and a 'saver'. I'm the saver....)

MamaKath
02-28-2012, 12:14 AM
:yeahthat: I like the band, but I agree that it would look better on the outside of your engagement ring. So I would do anniversary band/engagement ring/wedding band.
:yeahthat:

fauve01
02-28-2012, 01:07 AM
So ... I think the message is that this wasn't to be. Glad I decided to try it though - I'm much happier with the "hmmm - I don't really like it, and don't need anything else" than the "let's just pass" ;) (As in many marriages, there's a 'splurger' and a 'saver'. I'm the saver....)

I think you're not in *love* with it, so you should return it and wait til you feel the love about a different piece.

(and ps your engagement ring is GORGEOUS! :loveeyes:)