PDA

View Full Version : NYC Hotel with 7 y.o. DS - suggestions?

Mamma2004
02-26-2012, 10:19 PM
We are surprising DS with a trip to NYC next Sunday and Monday night (to attend two events that will make him FLIP!).

There are countless hotels but so many are best for couples. We cannot sleep in two double beds - DH and I need a queen or a king. DS is flexible and could sleep in a bed, on a sofabed, on a rollaway....but we cannot spend $900 for two nights in a hotel. We'd rather have safe, clean and comfortable...to spend any extra money on great food.

Any suggestions from you wonderfully helpful parents? TIA!

geochick
02-26-2012, 10:36 PM
I'm jealous. I've never done NYC with my kids, but I did do a quick search on Tripadvisor. Here are some threads I found:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2826819-Best_affordable_hotel_for_families-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k414446-Hotel_for_Families-New_York_City_New_York.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5010953-Hotels_for_Families_in_NYC-New_York_City_New_York.html#37513235

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k2435753-New_York_City_hotels_for_families-New_York_City_New_York.html

Have a great trip!

SummerBaby
02-26-2012, 11:34 PM
We took our 7 yo and 4 yo DDs to NYC in December for a surprise visit. They loved it! We stayed at the Marriott Marquis which is in Times Square. The girls absolutely loved the hotel. It has glass elevators and in general is pretty "bling.". Our room faced Times Square and they loved looking down at the lights. We had 2 double beds - DH slept with one kid and I slept with the other. They do have roll away beds though if you want a king. I just had an offer from Marriott for rates that were around $250/ night, less if you are any kind of government employee. Good luck and have fun!

KLD313
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
We took our 7 yo and 4 yo DDs to NYC in December for a surprise visit. They loved it! We stayed at the Marriott Marquis which is in Times Square. The girls absolutely loved the hotel. It has glass elevators and in general is pretty "bling.". Our room faced Times Square and they loved looking down at the lights. We had 2 double beds - DH slept with one kid and I slept with the other. They do have roll away beds though if you want a king. I just had an offer from Marriott for rates that were around $250/ night, less if you are any kind of government employee. Good luck and have fun!

:yeahthat: That came to my mind as well.

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2012, 11:50 PM
We stayed at The Pod last year. I adored the location because it was more of a residential neighborhood; really good bc ds1 hated Times Square and other extra crowded areas. It wouldn't work for you though because the rooms are extra tiny. There are other hotels in that area that would be good to look at. I chose the Pod bc I wanted something different; not another chain, the price and location.

Le Parker Meridian has a good location near Central Park and my family really liked their stay there.

rin
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Have you looked into airbnb? We've used them a few times in a handful of cities (DC, Austin, San Fransisco), and have always had really good experiences. I've never gotten a place from them in NYC since we always just stay with family, but friends of my sisters got a place in Brooklyn and from what I heard they were very happy with the price/location/situation.

SnuggleBuggles
02-27-2012, 12:25 AM
I forgot the one other hotel we really considered- the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. Right on the PATH train line so a quick trip into the city (takes you to the WTC train stop). In the end, I'm glad we didn't stay there because I liked being able to go back to the hotel easily during the day but if you just need somewhere to sleep, it had good rates and big rooms! Indoor pool and gorgeous views too.

Mamma2004
03-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Just to update: we are headed to NYC in the morning. Despite checking many so-called "affordable" options, we discovered that more than 2 guests means spending much more money. We are staying at the Michelangelo - friends whose budget clearly exceeds ours recommended it; we figured it was way out of our price range. As it turns out, we are spending less at the Michelangelo than they wanted at the Courtyard Marriott or the Residence Inn.
Here's to hoping the weekend is all it promises to be! DS knows we are heading to NYC but he doesn't know about our entertainment plans. Woohoo!!!!

Thanks to all of you wonderful cyberfriends for your input. I really appreciate the advice!