PDA

View Full Version : When going from private to semi-private...

theriviera
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
what kind of discount do you expect? dh gifted me a personal trainer for 10 weeks as a christmas present. the trainer comes to our house. when dh spoke with him over the phone, he said he trains couples all of the time that it could be either me or both of us. he gave dh a quote per hour.

this week, the trainer tells us that we are over our sessions. i was totally confused as by my count we had 9 left (i was out of town one week). turns out, he charges double when he trains both of us. his exact words were "i have to work twice as hard".

now, i have a serious problem with this. #1, he is totally distracted when training both of us so there is a lot of waiting. #2, he can't focus on both of us at once, so he is always switching. #3 he told us that people love to train with another person and that is the "benefit" of doing it together.

i think he is crazy. at best, i expect that the premium would be 50% so we would pay 150% of a single rate for 2 of us. also, he never once mentioned this, so i'm super irritated that i am now out of sessions. dh never would have done the training with me. as it was, he was just doing cardio at home and the trainer would start offering tips. dh is pretty motivated...i am not, so the trainer benefits me much more.

so anyways, in your experience, what is the discount for going from private to semi private. for the sake of this poll, assume that private is 100%. Double, as this guy is saying, would be 200%. everything else is in the middle.

hillview
02-26-2012, 10:38 PM
My bootcamp instructor charges $135 for the 2 of us for 45 mins (we did it once) I think his solo charge is $100.

DH goes to see someone from time to time and it costs him solo about $100 for an hour.

ETA I voted 125%

TwinFoxes
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Double is ridiculous. I think you should talk to him. Is is through a gym? Or is he independent. Hopefully he is reasonable and will give you some more sessions.

amandabea
02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
My DH is/was a personal trainer when we lived in CA. He always charged a semi-private rate, but most of his sessions were 1:1. If he had >1 person, then he did have to work harder, but not twice as hard. I think your pt is over charging you, but it's not like there are really any rules as to what he can/can't do. He did charge more when he went to someone's house as opposed to training out of the private gym where he worked.

anamika
02-27-2012, 10:12 AM
200% sounds excessive but I am confused. Did the rate he gave your DH over the phone not match what he charged you? I would have a real problem if he did not specify this beforehand or changed the rate.
If I hadn't discussed rates before starting the semi-private training, I would be super steamed but I would have chalked it up to experience and made sure to get a rate upfront the next time.
But definitely try talking with him and see if he can meet you partway.

theriviera
02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
200% sounds excessive but I am confused. Did the rate he gave your DH over the phone not match what he charged you? I would have a real problem if he did not specify this beforehand or changed the rate.
If I hadn't discussed rates before starting the semi-private training, I would be super steamed but I would have chalked it up to experience and made sure to get a rate upfront the next time.
But definitely try talking with him and see if he can meet you partway.

No, he did not mention this up front. He quoted us one price per hour, to come to our house. DH called him to get rates to train me. The trainer brought up the idea of training both of us. DH did not start with me as he was sick for 2 weeks. When he joined in the 3rd week, the trainer again did not say anything.