PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Laws/Radian Versions

andbabymakes3
02-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Can I be lazy and ask a couple questions that I could probably look up if I had time? :praying:

When can my 10 year old sit in the front seat?
What is the current law regarding how long my 6 year old needs to be in a car seat? 6 and 60 or is it now 8 and 80? I'm in California if that matters.
I need to buy a Radian for my Volvo S40 and am looking for the cheapest new one I can find. Can someone give me the different specifics in terms of height/weight for the different versions out there? I can find them online for about $225 but don't know what I'm giving up buying an older version.

THANK YOU!!

Just a note: I am all for keeping the kids in proper carseats as long as needed and am familiar with the 5-point test for booster seats; I ask the questions as a recent emergency carpool trip had me wondering what was legal versus what was ideal. Also, FYI...my 10 year old is over 5 feet tall and about 85 lbs, my 6 year old is about 4 feet tall (or more) and about 48 lbs.

Joolsplus2
02-27-2012, 08:41 AM
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/safeseat.html

8 or 4'9" is the law for being out of a booster AND being in the front seat.

Though... http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/airbags_teens.html
I'd keep a kid in the back as long as practically possible, I let my tall 12 yo ride in front, so even I'm not perfect. Sigh.

Not too sure on good deals on Radians...older ones don't become boosters, Diono models do become boosters. Weight limits don't matter much, kids tend to be too tall well before the weight limits are reached anyway. They don't expire for 8 years, so even an older model should last a long time if it's been sitting on the shelf for a year or so. Some have headwings, some don't, I've heard the headwings are good for sleeping, but can be a pain to adjust (or they fall down? I don't recall details, I just know they aren't perfect, lol).

andbabymakes3
03-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Thank you so much Jools, you are so great! :cheerleader1: