PDA

View Full Version : Keep or toss: expired UHT milk?

citymama
02-27-2012, 03:41 AM
We have 24 cartons of the 8 oz organic Horizon low fat UHT milk that expired Feb 14 2012. Yikes! We stockpile these but usually work our way from oldest to more recent. DD1 drinks these - usually in her lunch bag for school or we carry with us on day outings. On the one hand, these things are designed to last forever, it seems, but on the other hand, they have passed their best by date and will be consumed by a not quite 6 yr old.

Keep or toss? And if keep, by when is the latest they should be consumed? Thanks!

ncat
02-27-2012, 08:06 AM
They are designed to last forever, and are just barely past the best by date. I would not worry about using it. If you don't want to give it to your 6 yo, I would use it for cooking rather than toss.

wellyes
02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Oh I voted wrong. It's fine.

I once found a half-full carton of it that DD had hidden in cabinet WEEKS (at least) earlier. It was still liquid and smelled like milk. Did not do a taste test :ROTFLMAO:

MamaMolly
02-27-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd use it within the next 6 months, but IME you are fine. Just so you guys don't think I'm a weird UHT milk hoarding nut job, we have lived overseas where the only milk available is expired UHT. Even after 6 months you would probably just have some clumping.

LMPC
02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
They are designed to last forever, and are just barely past the best by date. I would not worry about using it. If you don't want to give it to your 6 yo, I would use it for cooking rather than toss.

This is me as well.

peanut520
02-27-2012, 11:19 AM
i would keep it but use it first and within the next few weeks not because it will goes bad it starts clump a bit and gets a stale taste (sorry i cant describe it, but it wasnt spoiled tasting).

we ended up using our out of rotation stock in our cooking, coffee and cereal.