PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car agency seat question

pharmjenn
02-27-2012, 03:42 AM
I know the general consensus is avoid getting a seat from the rental car companies. I asked a few weeks ago about using a backless booster for my DS4 for a trip this summer to florida, and now see that Hertz gives a free seat to AAA members.

Currently they have the cheapest rental for our time period, but I am sure as we get closer and coupons/specials come out, that will probably change. But if we stay with Hertz, how bad would it be to use one of their booster seats (either HBB if they have them, or backless?)

I wouldn't trust a 5pt harness seat from them but since we were going to be bringing a booster not a 5pt harness seat, would it be so bad to use theirs?

KrisM
02-27-2012, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't. You still won't know if it's been in an accident, if it's expired, if it has all its pieces, etc. You could get a backless seat with no belt positioning strap that has dried throw up on it that expired 2 years ago. Yuck!

Joolsplus2
02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I don't know how things are now, but a few years ago, they'd use the awful cosco high back boosters with the harness removed. Those are *terrible* as boosters, they hold the belt so high on the belly and not well on the shoulder :(. I'd rather use a backless and sit next to him to hold him in place, if needed (like, if he falls asleep and falls sideways, just sit back there with him).

mom2binsd
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
I've seen where they store car seats at rental agencies, just imagine the little critters that might find their way to the seats- enough said.

rin
02-27-2012, 12:52 PM
If you're comfortable using a backless booster, why not just get a cheapy one from Walmart? I just got a Harmony one for around $14 for my nephew, and his mom says it's honestly not appreciably different from the regular one he uses at home. If you buy from their website, you can even have it shipped to your destination for $.97!

legaleagle
02-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Or maybe a bubblebum and then you can easily pack & take it with you?