PDA

View Full Version : DS suddenly wetting the bed after 6 months of dry sheets?

MommyofAmaya
02-27-2012, 09:32 AM
DS is 3.5. He has been day trained since right at 3yo and was dry through the night before then. For two nights in a row he has wet the bed. Once in his own bed, once in ours (and our waterproof mattress pad is obviously in need of replacement) :/ There are no changes or any other stressors I can think of that might be bothering him. I'm assuming I need to worry about a UTI? Anything else you would be concerned about? DD had way more occasional nighttime accidents so hers never really concerned me, but two nights in a row after months of being dry has made me nervous.

I'm certainly regretting giving away those two full packs of pull-ups on Freecycle a few weeks ago.:irked:
TIA.

anamika
02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
This is probably not the answer you were hoping for! My DD did the same thing at around age 3. We were completely and blissfully diaper-free for 6 months and then DD started having accidents 2-3 times the same night.
I think her sleeping pattern changed and she started going into much deeper sleep. She would get wet in winter and sleep through it. We switched back to diapers after a long time of trying to get her back on track and too many loads of laundry. She finally night time trained again at age 7 with the help of a bed wetting alarm.

Not sure if that is the case with your son. Hopefully someone else will have a different experience to share. Good luck and I feel your pain on the laundry and wet bed!

MommyofAmaya
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Anamika:
Actually your post is comforting. I'd rather this be "normal" (even if long term) than be a potential health issue. But wow, your experience does sound like a challenging one. I guess I'm headed to the store to buy some Pull-Ups and a new mattress cover today. Thanks for your response.

daisymommy
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Yep, normal! I would ask questions to see if a UTI is possible (burning or pain, feeling like they need to go alot, not much coming out each time, etc.), because that is a possibility. But I have read that as they grow, their sleep patterns change and sometimes they start wetting the bed when they sleep deeper (as the PP mentioned). Their body will acclimate after awhile and they will be dry overnight again at some point.

egoldber
02-27-2012, 11:15 AM
My younger DD has recently started doing this too. After almost 2 months of being dry through the night in undies, she started having accidents. Not nightly, but maybe 2-3 nights a week.

We have started waking her to go to the bathroom before we go to bed and that seems to have cut it back to about once a week.

And yes, I do think it is related to her sleeping more deeply. Although she's never, ever been a great sleeper, and wakes during the night still to come to our room. And I know now that when she wakes, she needs to go to the bathroom.

barkley1
02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Make sure she's not constipated at all. DSS wet the bed at least once a week until age 7 or 8 and the dr noticed at one of his physicals that he could feel hard stools. As soon as dSS started on fiber and a conscious effort to poop daily, the issue immediately disappeared, never to come up again!!

MommyofAmaya
02-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Make sure she's not constipated at all. DSS wet the bed at least once a week until age 7 or 8 and the dr noticed at one of his physicals that he could feel hard stools. As soon as dSS started on fiber and a conscious effort to poop daily, the issue immediately disappeared, never to come up again!!

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on that.