PDA

View Full Version : Question about triple paste

TwoBees
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Why is triple paste supposedly so fantastic? The package claims it is "medicated," but it contains a smaller percentage of zinc than Desitin, which is 1/3rd the price. So why is it supposedly better than the other mass-market diaper rash creams?

truly scrumptious
02-27-2012, 11:01 AM
No idea but it worked wonders with DS so now we are complete believers. Desitin didn't help with it. Maybe because it is less medicated? :shrug:

mom2beofboy/girltwins
02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
For me, i think the reason it worked better than all the others was because of the thickness of it. No other cream comes close. You can tell how well it stays on their skin just by the effort it takes to get it off your hands after you apply it.

veronica
02-27-2012, 11:11 AM
best cream ever. the thickness is ideal

and, for a bad rash do the following (I read this once and was shocked that the rash was gone in two hours):

apply a very thin layer of aquaphor first. Then , a huge dollop of triple paste. it works wonders!

arivecchi
02-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Plus it does not stink like desitin. Agree that it is the best diaper cream out there.

star04
02-27-2012, 12:05 PM
There is currently a $1.50 coupon on coupons.com. :)

Beth24
02-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Plus it does not stink like desitin. Agree that it is the best diaper cream out there.

:yeahthat:! I have no idea why it works so well, but it just does. And that was good enough for me.

edurnemk
02-27-2012, 01:27 PM
No idea but it worked wonders with DS so now we are complete believers. Desitin didn't help with it. Maybe because it is less medicated? :shrug:

:yeahthat: I tried Desitin first, and it doesn't work as well. So I end up using less ointment with Triple Paste, since it works faster, which means it's not a lot more expensive in reality. A tub of Triple Paste lasts forever in our house.

Aishe
02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
I didn't think it worked nearly as well as original (40% zinc oxide) Desitin. I don't see how anything can be thicker than that stuff!

fasthdgirl
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
:yeahthat: Original Desitin was a lifesaver for us!

mackmama
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I really don't know. It's the only thing that works really well for us though. Love the stuff!

citymama
02-27-2012, 08:11 PM
I didn't think it worked nearly as well as original (40% zinc oxide) Desitin. I don't see how anything can be thicker than that stuff!

:yeahthat: We bow to the powers of max strength Desitin - it's like magic! DD2 had a bad diaper rash this weekend and was screaming in pain after her nap - she was so happy after a thick application of Desitin, and after a couple of diaper changes/Desi applications, she was as good as new. It's a lifesaver. :bowdown:

marymoo86
02-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Not to mention it only rates a 2 on the skindeep database while Desitin is a 6.

TwoBees
02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
But what exactly is it medicated with? Zinc? Petroleum? I guess I don't consider those "medicines."

KLD313
02-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Ive never tried triple paste but Aveeno diaper cream works for us. After one application any redness is gone.

Beth24
02-28-2012, 01:32 PM
But what exactly is it medicated with? Zinc? Petroleum? I guess I don't consider those "medicines."

Have you checked the product website if there is one to see if you can get more info?

citymama
02-28-2012, 01:41 PM
Not to mention it only rates a 2 on the skindeep database while Desitin is a 6.

I think that's partly because of the smaller quantity of zinc oxide, which is what gives Desitin its effectiveness on really bad rashes.

TwoBees
02-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Have you checked the product website if there is one to see if you can get more info?

Yep. Not much there.

marymoo86
02-28-2012, 01:56 PM
I think that's partly because of the smaller quantity of zinc oxide, which is what gives Desitin its effectiveness on really bad rashes.

Zinc only rates a 1 for Desitin
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/brand/Desitin/

Skindeep shows triple paste to have this in the ingredients - not sure if same on the label?

ZINC OXIDE, WHITE PETROLATUM, CORN STARCH, ANHYDROUS LANOLIN, STEARYL ALCOHOL, WHITE BEESWAX, CHOLESTEROL, POLYSORBATE 80.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/43221/Triple_Paste_Medicated_ointment_for_diaper_rash/

The website just states the above ingredients and that it is based on a compounded prescription. I guess that is the "medicated" part?