PDA

View Full Version : HBB Recommendation

Pbl427
02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
I need a HBB to use for carpools and when we have family visiting and need to use the 3rd row of our Highlander. We normally use our Safety 1st Go Hybrid, but this seat would be for times when we don't have top tether available. Since I want it to be multi-purpose for the full 6/7 years or so lifespan, I am really stuck on what to choose here. It will be very occasional use now, but maybe in a year or 2 it will be used more often. DS is 5yo (in 2 weeks), appx 38lbs and 42in. I tried him in the Compass B530/540, Graco TB, Parkway SGL. He seemed to fit fine in all, but I liked the added side support on the parkway best. However, I know it is listed for 40lbs and 38in+ and DS is not yet 40lbs (although all of his friends are - for carpool). I feel like I need to pick something that is listed for 30lbs to give maximum flexibility for my kiddos that run little (27mo twins are 25lbs - no they are not going in the booster anytime soon, I just don't expect them to be 40lbs at 5yo either). But I also want narrow in case we need to use it 3 across and I like the idea of Latch, even though for the 3rd row there is no latch. Maybe I am just trying to pack too many needs into this and should just go cheap for now....

So - I guess my questions are, can I use the Parkway for DS? I can't find the Recaro Vivo locally, but maybe I should try that as it is listed for 30lbs and has more support - is it a good option? Or should I just go with a TB or Big Kid Amp type of seat? Or is there something else I should consider.

TIA!
Patti

DS1 (5yo) is normally in a radian or maestro.

sariana
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
I don't think the fact that some seats are "rated" for 30 lbs means that they are any safer for kids that weigh less. I think some manufacturers are more particular about the age restrictions. In general it is best to wait until a child weighs 40 lbs before moving into any kind of booster (though weight is not the only factor to consider).

That being said, we have a Highlander, and the Graco Turbobooster works really well in both the middle seat and the rear seat. I don't think it's very narrow, though.