PDA

View Full Version : Options for a 6 yr. old's party? WWYD?

AnnieW625
02-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I somehow only have just over a month to prepare for this and March 31st is probably the best date for us due to Spring Break starting the following Friday, and then one or two other girls in her class have birthdays in mid to late April.

Option 1:
home made pizzas (Costco sells personal size Boboli pizzas in 8 packs), and scoops of ice cream for dessert (DD1 gave up cake for Lent, which is convenient because she doesn't like it much anyway; smart girl:thumbsup:)

Option 2: do a sundae making bar and serve pizza or sandwiches.

Option 3: do cookie decorating instead of sundaes, and serve pizza or sandwiches.

Option 4: have party at an art place, which will be the most expensive option (I think). If all 14 kids come it would be about $350 including the $25 clean up fee if I bring in my own food, which looks to be the only option if you want food there. DD1 has never been to this place so I do not know if she would go for it or not.

The party favor for options 1-3 would be an apron to take home and if all goes well I will do iron on or get fabric markers and they can decorate their own, but then I also need a good rec. for where to buy child size aprons (Oriental Trading Company ones got so so reviews) and would have to have a strict RSVP date of at least a week prior. Party favor at art place would most likely be a pad of paper and some markers or what they make at the art place depending on what the price options are. but no more than $7 pp.

hellokitty
02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
What time is the party? Kids don't eat a lot at parties, they just want to play, so while the pizza, sandwiches, ice cream and cake options sound nice, I think it's too much food. If you are doing the party outside of a meal time, I would just do the ice cream sundae bar and cake. Really, 6 yrs olds are very easy to please, I would keep it simple and do what is easiest for you. The aprons sound like nice favors, but that's a lot of work and $ spent on them. I think that you could easily substitute an easier (and cheaper) craft in its place.

georgiegirl
02-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Ice cream sundaes! We're having my DD's 6 birthday party that day too.

bigsis
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I voted for making the sundaes. Seems like it would be easier, funner :) and you can reap the benefits faster. Don't forget to ask around about dairy allergies, just in case. If you do, they have frozen lemonades too. (Sprinkles on that sounds gross to me, but kids don't care.)

wimama
02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Ice Cream Sundaes Bar - Sounds like the most fun! The art place might be fun.

TwinFoxes
02-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I still love sundae bars. :) That got my vote!

maestramommy
02-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Is this party during lunch? If so, then I'd serve pizza, and do a craft. if not, then I'd do the sundaes. i agree with Hellokitty that it's a lot of food, and kids just don't eat much during parties. They'd rather play or whatever.

newg
02-27-2012, 10:30 PM
Let them decorate the cookies and then they take them home as party favors! Joann fabric also sells children's apron....next week is a massive coupon week, so you could easily get each apron at 40%, plus cookie decorating supplies and just return what you don't need after the party.

Joann and michaels have apps, which would give you even more coupons!

HIU8
02-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Let them decorate the cookies and then they take them home as party favors! Joann fabric also sells children's apron....next week is a massive coupon week, so you could easily get each apron at 40%, plus cookie decorating supplies and just return what you don't need after the party.

Joann and michaels have apps, which would give you even more coupons!

This. My DS went to a cupcake decorating party a few years ago. He had a blast. The cupcake was the party favor.

Octobermommy
02-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Sundaes or make your own cookies. Both would go over very well with my kiddos and they are a little different than the norm which is fun.

mommytotwo
02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I vote for the sundae bar (how fun), with the decorating your own cookies or art place tied for second. Either way, it sounds like you'll have a fun party! Also, I bought a kit for my neice at Joann's that was for decorating cupcakes and it had a lot of neat ideas that you could use with cupcakes, cakes or cookies.