PDA

View Full Version : What are Math Facts??

nmosur
02-28-2012, 04:41 PM
I did google but did not get a clear answer. DD's kindergarten teacher mentioned that if I wanted to, I can start working on math facts with DD. What exactly are math facts in first grade?? Is there a resource I can look into??

TIA!

KHF
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Our school uses the Everyday Math curriculum and they refer to math facts as just 1+2=3, 2-1=1, 4+2=6.

So, just math problems. Our DD has some math flash cards with the simple facts on them.

bisous
02-28-2012, 04:45 PM
To me that means knowing addition and subtraction facts 1 through 20. You know 3 + 6 and 15- 8, etc. I bought flash cards at the dollar spot a few years ago!

niccig
02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I use these worksheets with DS
http://www.dadsworksheets.com/v1/Strategies/rocket_math_overview.html

I print one out and time it. He doesn't like to time it for the whole sheet, so we do line by line. He tries to get it as fast as he can.

It's helped, but I think the slowness factor now is his handwriting, not if he knows the math or not.

hillview
02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
DS1 does math facts. he gets worksheets with
1+1
1+2 ...
1+9
(the next week is 2+1, 2+2 etc)

He has to write the whole equation out 3 times and do jumping jacks 2x.

Indianamom2
02-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I use these worksheets with DS
http://www.dadsworksheets.com/v1/Strategies/rocket_math_overview.html

I print one out and time it. He doesn't like to time it for the whole sheet, so we do line by line. He tries to get it as fast as he can.

It's helped, but I think the slowness factor now is his handwriting, not if he knows the math or not.

This is what DD's class does (1st grade). As with niccig's son, I think kids with handwriting/poor motor skills issues struggle with the timed aspect of due to that, not the knowledge of the facts. I kind of hate it at times, but we're surviving.

niccig
02-28-2012, 05:21 PM
This is what DD's class does (1st grade). As with niccig's son, I think kids with handwriting/poor motor skills issues struggle with the timed aspect of due to that, not the knowledge of the facts. I kind of hate it at times, but we're surviving.

This is why we just time one line at a time. Some times, DS can do one line in 14 seconds. Other times it's 20 seconds - depends how many 5's and 3 in the answers. If I timed the whole sheet, he would be consistently over the 1 minute mark.

As it's just us, so there's no comparison with his peers. I had a teacher that did something similar with multiplication tables, but it was how fast you could go around a clock and say answers, eg. 4x in middle and 1 to 12 around outside. I talk very quickly, so of course could do it faster than others, but that doesn't mean I know it better than someone who was a few seconds slower.

MamaKath
02-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Addition and subtraction facts. Some tools to use are dominoes and dice, board games, flashcards, some kids even like math worksheets.

smilequeen
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
This is what our kids' school uses.

http://www.oci-sems.com/ContentHTML/pdfs/Sample%20Pages.pdf

We have printouts to practice with at home. So, at school they would write out the problems and then take the timed test. According to his teachers they make time adjustments in his classroom for handwriting issues.

SummerBaby
02-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Math "facts" are what used to be called math "problems" when we were in school. I don't think it really has anything to do with what curriculum the school uses- it's all semantics to me. My oldest is in second grade and I have been surprised at how much the math terminology has changed. She is working on two digit addition now, and I have to catch myself when I say "carry" the one. It is now called "regrouping". There are many other examples, but I'm too tired to think now...

kijip
02-29-2012, 01:16 AM
She is working on two digit addition now, and I have to catch myself when I say "carry" the one. It is now called "regrouping". There are many other examples, but I'm too tired to think now...\

Regrouping is different than carrying.

I see math facts as being problems that kids are expected to know by memory or quickly. Yes they are math problems but not all math problems are math facts. Ie: 5+3 is a math fact. My kid needs to know that 8x6=48 and he also needs to know that double 4x3 gets the same result. He needs to know that 2 odd equal and even and that 2 even equal an even etc. Those are problems that are facts for memorization. OTH, I don't expect my kid to have 13x27 memorized (but to have the facts need to get the answer ready both mentally and on paper) or to know the answer off the top of their head to (14x52)-17 or 145-17.

rlu
03-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Are these the families?

1+4=5
4+1=5

Then when you add subtraction
1+4=5
4+1=5
5-1=4
5-4=1

etc.

dogmom
03-02-2012, 09:49 AM
My understanding, at least in the Every Day Math program, is that there are number "families" that should be intuitively grasped by the students. Like in the EDM program the numbers 5-4-9 are a family and you can put on a triangle with a number at each point. The idea is to cover up one point, say 4, and the kid looks at 9 and 5 and if you say "what is 9-5" it is 4. Instead of spending one grade doing addition problems over and over, then spending another grade doing subtraction, the idea is to start the concepts of addition/subtraction, multiplication/division, fractions/ratios, decimals all sort of together. The idea is kids progress the block towers they were counting and drawing graphs of in K, where my DD is, to the fusion of math facts and pie charts and fractions in my DS 3rd grade class. So the aim is that the kids all know that 1/2 pie chart, a graft of 6 squares, the fraction 1/2, and 50% can all be representational of 6 out of 12 eggs, instead of treating them like 4 different concepts you learn in 4 different grades.

Here's a link to fact families in EDM and how they are treated in different grades. It's sort of dense, because it explaining the underlying education theory behind computation fluency.
http://www.everydaymathsuccess.com/pdf/EM_ComputationalFluency.pdf