PDA

View Full Version : bjcm and 4 month old ds can he ride in it with no carseat?

diamond
02-28-2012, 05:56 PM
I have bjcm stroller without the carseat adaptor. I have a 4 month old ds who can hold his head up. Is there anyway to take him in the stroller without the carseat and carseat adaptor? Or do I suck up and pay 50$ for the car seat adaptor? From what age can they safely ride in the bjcm? Ty. Fyi we have a graco snugride carseat.

llama8
02-28-2012, 06:00 PM
Both of my DD's were sitting fine in their Maclaren umbrella strollers around 3.5 months. As long as your baby can hold their head up and is strapped in, there should be no danger sitting in any stroller. Most people use the carseat insert for convenience, not as a necessity.

crl
02-28-2012, 06:02 PM
He can go in now. The BJCM has a full recline suitable for newborns even. With a four month old, you might not even need a snuzzler/rolled up blankets. It's best to minimize car seat time because of the breathing issue so the BJCM is great choice for little ones as it does have the full recline.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes I had a Bjcm and started using it with ds when he was 4 mos old. I never got a carseat adaptor. It reclined enough. As pp said it isn't good for infants to be riding in carseats in strollers for too long anyway.

Kaylee31
02-28-2012, 07:41 PM
He can go in now. The BJCM has a full recline suitable for newborns even. With a four month old, you might not even need a snuzzler/rolled up blankets. It's best to minimize car seat time because of the breathing issue so the BJCM is great choice for little ones as it does have the full recline.

Catherine

:yeahthat: Studies have shown that too much time in the carseat can lower oxygen levels in infants. The BJCM reclines enough to use with a newborn. I would still use a snuzzler depending on the baby's size, and whether or not you can get a good fit with the straps without one.

diamond
02-28-2012, 08:08 PM
ty for replies, didnt know bjcm reclined fully, just figured out how to do it, great. I need to adjust straps for a good fit or put something around him as he is around 13lbs now.

on the other note why do they say car seats are bad and kids get less oxygen? we drive on long car rides 3 hours-4 hours sometimes longer due to traffic, is that bad?? also my ds likes to be in bouncer, swing, carseat a lot of time when he is awake and sometimes when asleep is that bad? oxygen wise? back wise? ty

Kaylee31
02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
Here is a link with some info about carseat use:
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-08-24/health/car.seat.blood.oxygen_1_infant-car-car-seats-car-seat-safety/2?_s=PM:HEALTH
http://mothering.com/green-living/car-seats-are-for-cars

I wouldn't worry about using a carseat when traveling, that is necessary. I just would make sure you stop at least once or twice to take the baby out and let him stretch a little. It's just the overuse of carseats outside the car that is more of a concern. At least where I live, I see many people leave the baby in the seat for hours on end.
From what I've read and going by what my pediatrician says, any "containment"; like the swing, bouncer, etc. should be used in moderation, and use should not exceed more than a few hours a day. I try to adhere to this, but it's kind of difficult when my DD won't sleep unless she's in my arms, or the rock n play.