PDA

View Full Version : iPad announcement March 7th!

TwinFoxes
02-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Not a rumor, invites have been sent to the media. Squeeeee! I get one!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2012/02/apple-ipad-event-set-for-march-7/

LBW
02-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Yay! I'm getting one, too. Bonus - it'll be a business expense!

elektra
02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Yay! Looks like DH will be able to get it sooner than expected!

liamsmom
02-28-2012, 07:36 PM
DH and I are on the same page on this one! I'm so excited!

daisymommy
02-28-2012, 07:38 PM
DH declined an iPad for Christmas once he knew they were coming out with the next version in the Spring. We just held onto the money. He'll be so excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swissair81
02-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Not getting one here.

DualvansMommy
02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
I absolutely cannot wait!! Dh wanted to get us as a Xmas present, but I told him to hold it off when I heard of spring release...lot sooner than I thought!! Can't wait! Dh will get the discounted iPad 2 for work as a business expense and iPad 3 for ourselves...whoop!!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.543608,-74.725408

Twoboos
02-28-2012, 08:49 PM
We're probably in for one too... since DH's took a flying leap off the trunk of his car as he drove off one day, and he didn't know for hours, and then he couldn't find it so it spent the night in the cold until I found it the next morning. :47: :6:

He could have gotten a replacement one for half the original price or waited for this. He wisely chose to wait.

larig
02-28-2012, 09:04 PM
DH is getting one. I hear there will also be a new appletv. I'm getting one of those!

lhafer
02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
We have the original Ipad and love it. But yesterday my DH says we need a new one since our 6 year old has taken possession of it!! :rotflmao:

alexsmommy
02-28-2012, 10:38 PM
We have the original Ipad and love it. But yesterday my DH says we need a new one since our 6 year old has taken possession of it!! :rotflmao:

All three kids fight over my ipad1. I now leave my laptop at work and use my ipad in the evening. We were just saying how nice it would be to have another one and to give the kids mine...mmmm, now to figure out how to justify the expense....

swissair81
02-28-2012, 10:44 PM

I know how that works. My kids have totally taken over my refurbed original. I got a 2 when I was in school with extra educational money that I used to pull up my online textbooks on (I hate those things. We had to pay for them and a paper one was extra). It now resides in my mother's house so she can use it when she gets her chemo. I will get it back at some point, and I'm not really hurting for it now. It's will be nice to have when we get it though. It will almost seem like I have a new toy.

Jenn850
02-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Thanks OP! Oh boy, Oh boy, Oh boy!!

NCGrandma
02-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Can't wait!! So if the iPad 3 is announced on March 7, how long 'til we can get our greedy mitts on one??? (yeah, I know no one really knows yet...)

TxCat
02-29-2012, 12:30 AM
Totally getting one! I've been holding off since December hoping for a spring release. Can't wait to have all electronic versions of my textbooks for studying for my board exams this fall!

larig
02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
Can't wait!! So if the iPad 3 is announced on March 7, how long 'til we can get our greedy mitts on one??? (yeah, I know no one really knows yet...)

Rumors suggest that they have already begun shipping stock here from China. I'd expect orders to start a week or so from the announcement, but if we're super lucky, perhaps ordering will start 3/7. ( I can dream!!)

larig
02-29-2012, 01:12 AM
a little data for comparison. Last year iPad2 announced Wednesday 3/2/11. Was made available Friday 3/11/11 (both in-store and online).
iphone 4s announced Tuesday 10/4, launched Friday 10/14 in stores, pre-orders Friday 10/7.

so, I speculate that pre-orders will start 3/9 (online at midnight pacific) and they'll be in stores the following friday 3/16.

New features: possibly 4g, siri, retina display 1080 support...

larig
03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
a little data for comparison. Last year iPad2 announced Wednesday 3/2/11. Was made available Friday 3/11/11 (both in-store and online).
iphone 4s announced Tuesday 10/4, launched Friday 10/14 in stores, pre-orders Friday 10/7.

so, I speculate that pre-orders will start 3/9 (online at midnight pacific) and they'll be in stores the following friday 3/16.

New features: possibly 4g, siri, retina display 1080 support...

I was pretty close. preorders start today. available 3/16. I'm ordering today.

BabyBearsMom
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM

We are psyched! Preordering today to replace our iPad 1 which is running out of space.

kboyle
03-07-2012, 03:13 PM
i plan on getting one in the summer, our ipad 2 is full to the brim!

NCGrandma
03-07-2012, 04:28 PM

Clearly, we're not the only people trying to preorder today! Looks like the online preorders theoretically opened about half an hour ago but their servers are obviously swamped. Clicking on the Pre-order Now button just takes you to a 'We'll be back soon' page... From another forum, I've heard that if the online store is down, it's also not possible to place a phone order since they use the same system. And here I was hoping to get my order placed before the hungry hordes got home from work! Oh well, I'll keep trying!

AnnieW625
03-07-2012, 04:37 PM
As cool as it is we are probably not going to get one. Both DH and I have our Iphones, and we have a 2 yr. old Imac. I would honestly really use it for surfing the web or watching netflix in the bedroom (both of which I can already do on my phone, although the screen is small) and honestly if DH would agree I could spend the same money on a new 32" or 40" LED TV for the bedroom wall, and not have to worry about wanting or needing to replace it anytime soon.

swissair81
03-07-2012, 04:42 PM
It's a definite no for me. DH just surprised me by replacing my Macbook Pro. He wants me to sell my current one while it has value and Apple Care.

peanut520
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
It's a definite no for me. DH just surprised me by replacing my Macbook Pro. He wants me to sell my current one while it has value and Apple Care.

hmm.... i didnt even think of selling my macbook, but it is pretty old (4-5yrs old?) and having those proceeds go to a new macbook pro. no need for the ipad3 since we have the ipad2 and iphone 4s. but do i need a new macbook?

NCGrandma
03-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Success (I think)!! I was just able to go through the entire ordering process and print an order confirmation with order number. I'll feel a bit more confident when I also receive an e-mail confirmation but so far it looks good. Says it will be delivered on March 16th.

BTW, I ordered a 32GB wi-fi model in black with a (boring) dark grey smart cover.

Globetrotter
03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
oh no, the ipad 2 32GB is no longer available!

ETA: strange! it's the same price at best buy - guess there's no point getting an ipad 2, then!

codex57
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Success!

White 64GB wifi.

Printed out confirmation and got the e-mail confirmation. Woohoo!

Didn't take a chance to go home and use our Apple Gift card. Gotta decide what to do with the $200 sitting in that. Accessories? 2nd iPad so the kids won't try and steal this one? Hmmmm.....

swissair81
03-07-2012, 05:21 PM
hmm.... i didnt even think of selling my macbook, but it is pretty old (4-5yrs old?) and having those proceeds go to a new macbook pro. no need for the ipad3 since we have the ipad2 and iphone 4s. but do i need a new macbook?

He thought that since I'm going to grad school, I might appreciate the quad core the new ones have (as opposed to the dual core my old one had). He also feels that if I can get money back from something, I shouldn't keep it until it's virtually worthless.

larig
03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
after 2 hours, of getting part way through the ordering process, I just now got through and ordered a 64 gig black for DH and a new appletv. Mom and dad will get the old iPad 2,

larig
03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Success (I think)!! I was just able to go through the entire ordering process and print an order confirmation with order number. I'll feel a bit more confident when I also receive an e-mail confirmation but so far it looks good. Says it will be delivered on March 16th.

BTW, I ordered a 32GB wi-fi model in black with a (boring) dark grey smart cover.

at least we didn't have to stay up late!

NCGrandma
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
at least we didn't have to stay up late!

Definitely a plus! But I think we still get 'nerd points' for persisting through an overloaded ordering process. (I got my confirmation email and am now counting the days!)

codex57
03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
I musta got lucky. I only suffered about a 1/2 hour delay. It was a lot worse with the iPhone 4S. I ended up having to order that on my iPhone 4 while dropping the kids off and stuff in the morning after having stayed up for a while the night before trying to order at home.

DW couldn't get through, but my suspicion is cuz she was trying on Chrome while I was using Firefox. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects Apple did something to block Chrome users from getting through. :)