PDA

View Full Version : Will kids act up if they do not get enough exercise?

elektra
02-28-2012, 08:12 PM
DH and I were discussing possible reasons for DS is getting hyper and acting out more now (hitting, saying mean things, running around after being asked to walk in the house, being very aggressive in all things....).

He was saying he thinks it's because DS does not run around outside enough during the day, sort of the same idea as a dog not getting enough exercise.

I am not really convinced this is the issue but I can see how that could be a factor.

The thing is he plays outside a lot and is still only 2- it's not like he is lounging around.

Katigre
02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Absolutely! This is especially the case with young children who have a lot of energy. Both of my kids are far more challenging in their energy/hyperness, mess-making and lack-of-self-control (especially between ages 2-3) when I have not gotten them adequate large muscle play, especially outdoors.

mackmama
02-28-2012, 08:22 PM
I definitely think exercise can be a behavioral factor. Some friends lived in a very cold metro area and moved to warm-weather-'burbs to get a bigger yard and more of an outdoor lifestyle in hopes that more time outside could help their son behaviorally. It has definitely helped him (he acts out less) to have more time playing and running around outside.

Kaylee31
02-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Definitely, ime. I've noticed DS acts out if he is cooped up all day when the weather is bad. And/or he will get really silly & hyper, he will literally run in circles around our living room. If he has at least 30-60 min. of playtime outside his behavior is much better.

rin
02-28-2012, 08:26 PM
IME absolutely. I try to get DD outside for at least an hour in the morning and in the afternoon to just run and get her crazies out. I definitely notice her being way more hyper and poorly behaved (hitting, throwing things at people, torturing the dog, etc) on days when we haven't been able to get out and be physical enough.

I think some kids' need for physical activity is more/less than others, too, so some kids just need to move more than others, but I think all kids (and adults too!) have better impulse control & mental regulation with exercise.

amldaley
02-28-2012, 08:26 PM
DD's daycare and pre-school teachers swear by it. Last summer, between smoke from wildfires and excessive heat, the kids did not play outside but three days in three months...it was a big deal here and a constant convo topic of parents and teachers. Adequate excercise effects behavior, weight, gross motor development, mood, metabolism and sleep.

Tenasparkl
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
For my DD absolutely. She's one of those kids that NEEDS to run around everyday.

Melaine
02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
I know it makes a difference for my kids....Friday we had the rainiest day we have had in ages and they were absolutely NUTS. I made sure to take them to the park the next day and let them run around like crazy and it was like they needed it for sure.

weech
02-28-2012, 08:35 PM
DS is nearly two and he goes nuts without exercise. He hits me, screams, pitches fits, throws his toys, etc. And this is a pretty calm kid...

WatchingThemGrow
02-28-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking 2/3 of the craziness in our house is b/c we don't have a door that goes straight into the backyard. It makes me less able to go out and let them run wild. Just b/c of this thread, I'm going to make it a point to let them out more.

hellokitty
02-28-2012, 08:41 PM
It makes a HUGE difference. That is one reason why I got that mini-trampoline from target and also signed up my older boys for martial arts this winter. Last yr we had a horrible winter (like 9 snow days) and they were so stir crazy, they acted like a bunch of hooligans. I can always tell when my boys did not get outdoor recess at school. They come home and they are all hyped up. The same goes with DS3. He is 2.5 yrs old and I try to leave the house every day so that he can get out and stretch his legs. On bad days, I literally have to the let all three boys (8, 6 and 2 yrs old) chase each others in circles around our staircase. It's like a roller derby, it's nuts, BUT I know that they need to get that energy out some how or another.

egoldber
02-28-2012, 08:43 PM
Absolutely.

sste
02-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes, it was one of the reasons we sent our DS to daycare when he turned 2 - - not saying you need daycare just that in our case our DS was in an apartment in a cold climate so not alot of running around. And without other kids DS would just kind of walk around the playground rather than run. My DH actually gave me an impassioned speech on this topic, "You do not know what it is to be a young boy. The need to run, to RUN, is overwhelming. DS has to be able to run around!" I suspect this applies to many girls too.

elektra
02-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Ok, I am changing my tune!
Maybe DH is 100% right. I was a bit defensive when he suggested this as he is not here during the day and really has no idea about how much DS is already outside.
But it's true that he could be out more.
I think my DS also needs to run into things. Hard. Poor DD is getting the brunt of it now. Maybe we could get some kind of beanbag he could run and throw himself into.

tribe pride
02-28-2012, 08:54 PM
I agree with everyone else. DS1 is 3.5, and he is much happier, well-behaved, and able to focus when he gets adequate time (like at least 60 minutes) to run around, scream, jump, etc. Preferably outdoors.
A bonus is that on days when he gets lots of outdoors time or has PE in preschool, he tends to take 3 hour naps!

sste
02-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Can your nanny take him to a gymnastics class? Our local gymnastics place has an awesome foam pit that you run into, hard, without injury and classes starting at age 3. :)

infomama
02-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Agreeing with pp....100% yes.

m448
02-28-2012, 09:19 PM
They do and for much longer periods of time than most people imagine. I have a fenced backyard and mine are shooed out a minimum of twice a day at least for an hour. Most days though they're out for much longer of their own volition. They swing, jump, get muddy, scream, run and play with a bunch of PVC pipes that we cut up for them to use in the backyard.

TwinFoxes
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
I think so. If I don't get DDs out and about they are bouncing off the walls. It doesn't even have to be a lot of exercise, but they need some.

Katigre
02-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Ok, I am changing my tune!
Maybe DH is 100% right. I was a bit defensive when he suggested this as he is not here during the day and really has no idea about how much DS is already outside.
But it's true that he could be out more.
I think my DS also needs to run into things. Hard. Poor DD is getting the brunt of it now. Maybe we could get some kind of beanbag he could run and throw himself into.
It's a specific type of sensory input that he's seeking out and if he doesn't get it in positive ways he'll turn to negative ways to get it. If you can get him something firm with a lot of resistance (google 'sensory activities for kids' for ideas, especially things that are 'heavy work') it will help a lot.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/heavy-work-activities.html

(Ignore the fact that it's focusing on special needs issues - these are things that virtually ALL toddlers do well with and enjoy when given the opportunity!)

edurnemk
02-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I definitely notice DS is more difficult and uncooperative when we spend all afternoon indoors. I think there's other factors, but physical activity does help.

Kindra178
02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Exercise is a big factor, for sure. I have friends in Chicago that take their boys out every day, regardless of weather. It's a great idea and we try to do the same, but I am more of a wimp.

Also, I think the more aggressive behavior is simply age related too. Between 2-4 is the most aggresive/violent time of a boy's life. May I suggest "It's A Boy!" It's the same author as Raising Cain.

MontrealMum
02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Agreeing with everyone else...kids need to run around, or exercise if you want to use a formal word...to siphon off some of that energy! I read an article earlier in the year - I'll see if DH remembers the citation - about how boys especially have a need to move. It resonated quite a bit with him as he went to an all boys school where the curriculum is now based around this philosophy (it was cited in the article).

Even when DS is slightly sick we still try to take him outside to blow off some steam. On the days that he's either too sick (or we are!) it's absolutely horrific around here!!! We try to keep him engaged with art projects and other special activities which are good as well, but at some point he just needs to run and move.

kijip
02-29-2012, 12:43 AM
I tend to agree with your husband. When T gets pretty nutty, I tell him he can do a yoga video, run outside, ride his bike or do an active game on Wii Fit (if the weather is HORRIBLE and I want him to have 2 choices). It helps like nothing else. When it is nice out, I intentionally take him to a track to run. And run he does. :p

wellyes
02-29-2012, 12:46 AM
"Honey, I think you're right. Let's plan for you to take them for a long outing every day right when you get home from work."

kijip
02-29-2012, 01:17 AM
"Honey, I think you're right. Let's plan for you to take them for a long outing every day right when you get home from work."

:bighand::ROTFLMAO:

kaitlyns.mom
02-29-2012, 02:34 AM
Agree 100% that it makes a significant difference. Now the hard part is remembering that when the kids are driving me up the wall and all I want to do is check my e-mail in peace. :o

niccig
02-29-2012, 02:49 AM

Love this.

elektra
02-29-2012, 03:25 AM

:icon_twisted:

I think that I do need to change my expectations a bit about how much outside or very active play time DS needs. Tonight I did rough house with DD and DS a bit and I don't usually do that. They loved it of course and I do think DS was more mellow after that.
They both start swim lessons this week which should help tucker them out on Thursday mornings at least.
I like the gymnastics idea too. And thanks for the book recommendation Kindra. It still baffles me how much both of my kids fall into what I thought were parent-driven traditional gender roles. My DS is definitely the stereotypical rough and tumble boy at this point.

kozachka
02-29-2012, 03:33 AM
Yes, it was one of the reasons we sent our DS to daycare when he turned 2 - - not saying you need daycare just that in our case our DS was in an apartment in a cold climate so not alot of running around. And without other kids DS would just kind of walk around the playground rather than run.

:yeahthat: That's what happened to us, almost to a t. Except in our case we enrolled DS into daycare couple months after he turned two, and he was outright refusing to walk in the very cold weather in a stiff suit as we just moved from SoCal and DS was used to wearing shorts and not snowsuits. He was literally bouncing off the walls, which neither our tiny apartment not I could sustain. He was driving me crazy.

Even now that DS is quite a bit older, he needs regular exercise and fresh air.

kozachka
02-29-2012, 03:43 AM
Sorry, triple post.

kozachka
02-29-2012, 04:04 AM
Sorry, triple post.

arivecchi
02-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Lol wellyes!

Here DH is in charge of exercise on weekends. It's a huge part of the reason why we are moving. He wants the boys to be able to run in a big backyard, not the tiny crappy one we have now.

During the week, our nanny takes them to the park almost every afternoon.

Knowing your DS and how athletic he seems to be, I'd say he could definitely benefit from lots of exercise. I do agree with kindra too though. Boys do become more hyper around 3.

hillview
02-29-2012, 08:34 AM
Totally. I call my kids golden retrievers. If I don't get them outside to exercise they destroy the house.

BabbyO
02-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Definitely, ime. I've noticed DS acts out if he is cooped up all day when the weather is bad. And/or he will get really silly & hyper, he will literally run in circles around our living room. If he has at least 30-60 min. of playtime outside his behavior is much better.

:yeahthat:
Absolutely!! DS1 also gets really silly & hyper.

At daycare they go outside every day unless it is raining or below 20 degrees, I think. They even have a rather large indoor gym for days that they can't go outside.

DS definitely rests better on days that he's been outside, and in general, has better behavior if he's been outside.

pastrygirl
02-29-2012, 04:17 PM
IME, YES. My son also acts up if we don't have a schedule (even a loose one).