PDA

View Full Version : Professional Moms: Self evals & performance review

ha98ed14
02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Imagine you are new at a job (6 mos. in) and this is your first evaluation. Your boss asks you to do a self eval that will be the starting point for the conversation that is your performance review, which typically happen once per year if there are no reasons to have one sooner.

The are 12 performance areas and the rate-yourself-options are:

Exceeds expectations
Satisfactory
Needs Improvement
Something else akin to utter failure

Here is the question: If you think you are doing a better than average/satisfactory job, do you rate yourself with exceeds expectations? Can you do that without looking totally stuck up?

elektra
02-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I would first ask for some more specific definitions of the criteria with examples, so you can get an idea of the breakdown.
I know at my job the ratings are:
5- Greatly exceeds expectations (superstar, should be promoted asap, could do bosses job, etc.)
4- Exceeds expectations
3- meets all expectations
2- Meets most expectations
1- Needs improvement

So when they shifted to this formula, they had to do some education because it's not like 5 is equivalent to an "A" 4 to a "B" and so on.

I usually give myself 3's and 4's, and I have also given myself a 5 in one category out of 20 (I think it was for "teamwork" or "authenticity" or something like that).

But maybe your scale is more like A,B,C,D like we had it school where "Exceeds Expectations" is like an "A", Satisfactory is a "B", and so on.

Whatever the case, I would not hesitate to grade yourself with a lot of "Exceeds expectations" if you can list out how you have done so.

daisyd
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
It really depends on the culture of the place and how you justify it. I gave myself meets expectations for all categories though I felt I was performing at a higher level just because I was new and unsure how I'd be perceived. I did identify areas for improvement and had them ready for discussion. HTH. Good luck!

twowhat?
02-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I had the exact same categories and for my first performance review I put "exceeds expectations". My boss at the time made me change it to "Satisfactory" even though she said in her opinion, I did exceed expectations. Her reasoning was that it didn't leave any room for improvement if I put "exceeds expectations" right away. Whatever.

I agree with PP to ask about how more specific descriptions of the categories.

wellyes
02-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Put exceeds, and be well prepared to defend it.

The ratings your manager gives you are typically used to calculate raises, so it does matter. In places I've worked, the highest rating is rarely given - usually in tandem with a promotion.

AshleyAnn
02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
My boss does not ever give anyone an exceeds expectations and she would be POed if anyone gave themselves a 5 especially a new employee. She feels that saying exceeds expectations means you cant do any better and she thinks there is always room for improvement.

I was hired for a new job in June and had to do a self eval in late Oct. I gave myself almost all 4s and and a few 3s. My supervisor was satisfied with my eval and agreed with my weaknesses. I was given a 8% raise, we get a standard raise of 1-3% every year.

wellyes
02-28-2012, 11:38 PM
My boss does not ever give anyone an exceeds expectations and she would be POed if anyone gave themselves a 5 especially a new employee. She feels that saying exceeds expectations means you cant do any better and she thinks there is always room for improvement.

I was hired for a new job in June and had to do a self eval in late Oct. I gave myself almost all 4s and and a few 3s. My supervisor was satisfied with my eval and agreed with my weaknesses. I was given a 8% raise, we get a standard raise of 1-3% every year.
I think this is the right tactic in a 5 point system, but it's trickier if there is only one step above "adequate."

kijip
02-28-2012, 11:51 PM
I think this is the right tactic in a 5 point system, but it's trickier if there is only one step above "adequate."

Ask if half points are used. We had 3 options from 1-3 at my last work- Needs Improvement (and subject to a Performance Improvement Plan), Satisfactory and Exceeds. We ended up using 1.5 to mean not quite Satisfactory but not in need of a PIP and 2.5 to mean this person is a rock star but we can't give out very many 3s. It was lame. But necessary.

pb&j
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Fwiw, i would never willingly put needs improvement on any self evaluation.

I dislike being asked to rate in this way if the goals are not measurable. I need a rubric! In your shoes, I'd probably put meets for some and exceeds for some. I think it's silly to say there's no room for improvement if you rate yourself highly. You can further exceed expectations next year, or you can be given different, more challenging goals the next time around.

I would absolutely give myself a favorable rating. I have no problem tooting my own horn at work. Raises have been slim the past few years, and you'd better believe that I deserve my piece of the pie just as much as anyone. I'm not going to let some misguided sense of propriety cheat me and my family out of a raise. There's probably not a man in the history of the world that ever worried about looking stuck up on a performance review. Food for thought. Don't sell yourself short, is what I'm trying to say. A wise man once told me "it ain't bragging if ya done it." :) ETA: that came out rant-ier than I meant it to!

In an ideal world, goal setting is done such that you avoid this kind of ambiguity at review time.

kijip
02-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Your boss asks you to do a self eval that will be the starting point for the conversation that is your performance review, which typically happen once per year if there are no reasons to have one sooner.

I would proceed more carefully because of this since you said this was for a 6 month review and that it seems to be being called early. If this is not an ordinarily routine review, then there likely are some performance concerns. An employee does not want to walk into a meeting where the boss says something needs improvement with an all outstanding self review. It will come off as lacking in self reflection. I would try to figure out what may be see as a low score but others, understand it and incorporate it in some way into the review even if it is not in giving a low score that is not perceived as deserved. Be detailed and honest about goals and room for improvement.

TxCat
02-29-2012, 12:17 AM

:yeahthat: Also agree that you need more clarification on the criteria/more specifics.

marymoo86
02-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I have never had a performance system that I have used that allows you to input your own rating?

Just comments that highlight your contributions and the manager would input his/her rating based on your comments, his/her comments, and appropriate feedback from others.

lizzywednesday
02-29-2012, 10:42 AM
We have a 5-point system like arivecci and we do self-evaluations using numeric ratings.

We are asked to describe our work in various "core competencies" and we can base those descriptions on perceptions of work, statistics/metrics and team member comments.

I am very self-critical and rarely give myself any "exceeds expectations" ratings, but when I do, I've done something exceptional - i.e. - supported another project team in addition to my regular workload; submitted and carried out the implementation of new workflow processes; etc.

If I'd only begun in a position, I would be VERY cautious about using "exceeds" and would definitely want a quantification of how those determinations are made by managers and higher-ups.

What I find to be more productive from the process is when I'm asked to describe future plans - I like to hit on things I found lacking over the past year and describe how I'd like to strengthen those areas in the coming year. It helps my manager and I plan out the things that are offered to me over the year, whether it's new projects or mentoring new team members, to give me a chance at improving my performance, attitude and next year's evaluation.

trcy
02-29-2012, 10:52 AM
I was about to post a similar question. My review is also comimg up and a self evalution is a part of it. My concern is rating myself too high and my boss has a different opinion. On the other hand, you don't want to downplay your performance either. Honestly, I HATE self evaluations. They seem like a no-win IMO. I think the key is to be honest with yourself and be able to justify the ratings you give. Good luck!

wellyes
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Little HR secret: you were probably already formally rated before the self-evaluation phase began. That's how it's always worked in companies I've been at. Employees are typically asked to self-evaluate weeks or months after the ratings and budgeting phase. The self-evaluation becomes a tool managers use as a basis for the conversation about performance. It's a whole lot of wheel spinning, so don't sweat it too much.

ha98ed14
02-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks All for the replies. Just to clarify, this wasn't for me; it was for BFF, who is on her maternity leave, and felt she didn't have the focus to do this, so she wanted to discuss with me. (I *wish* it was for me! I'd love to have a job with a steady paycheck!) Her boss called her at home and told her she needed it ASASP. To date, she has had no performance review only because this administration is not very proactive. This is just the point in their calendar at which time these are done I think, not because she is doing anything wrong. Actually, the feedback she has gotten has been all positive.

We ended up going with a lot of 4s, a couple 3s and one 2. The point scale is was only 4 points, and we never thought of using half points. It didn't say that was allowed, but it didn't say it wasn't. She backed everything up with comments and references to specific actions she's taken blah, blah, blah and in places where she was a 2 or a 3, she said specifically what needed improvement.

Someone said that her boss would be P.O.'d if the person rated themselves with a 4s because that means there is no room for improvement. Honestly, I think that is particular to that person. That doesn't strike me as any more typical than the person who said you should never rate yourself as unsatisfactory, or the other who said she is not afraid to toot her own horn and pointed out that men probably never hesitate to put "Exceeds Expectations." I would attribute those differences to personality and management style. She's in a behemoth org, not a family owned business, so as much as personality does come into play, I doubt this is going to cause long term damage. The worst case scenario is that they make her change it. I don't know if that is logical, but it "feels" different than if she worked for a small business owned by one person.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to chime in. I will remember this too for (praying!) when I get a job and have to do this for myself (Mojo, please!!!)