PDA

View Full Version : in-school or private evaluation for child with social issues? - long

MommytoEliana
02-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Mods, I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Special Needs Parenting--I could really use some feedback asap. Thanks!

Over the past year or so DD1 (will be 8 in June) has been having a lot of issues at school. Academically she is fine as long as she focuses on getting her work done; she is very bright (probably falls into some range of the gifted category, is in the top reading and math levels and sailing through them). However, socially there have been a number of red flags, and in some ways it seems like they are getting worse this year. She has also started exhibiting some inappropriate personal behaviors: chewing on the neckline of whatever she is wearing (which I think is probably a sensory issue that she is using as a substitute for her toe walking, which she is currently in braces for) and, more recently that we've seen, although her teacher says it has been going on for a while, sticking her hand down her pants/leggings, both in back and in front. She behaves inappropriately at school (today it was spitting/drooling and interrupting/bothering kids having another conversation), probably in an attempt to get attention, but it is annoying the other kids, and with good reason. She always feels her behavior is justified and doesn't show remorse/regret for things she has done, nor seem to understand that her actions will end up pushing away her friends.

That said, she can also be extremely sweet and loving, especially toward her baby sister. And when she has one-on-one attention, like when we do a mommy/daughter outing, she is absolutely wonderful, with little to no issues.

I could write a book about everything else, but here's my point. We are pursuing an evaluation with a practice nearby which has a developmental pediatrician and also some therapists/counselors; they also do various integrative therapies. We just sent in our paperwork and it could be a couple of months before we are able to get her in. When speaking with her teacher today, he mentioned that the next step available in the school system would be to do a focused assessment and some testing, including IQ and various umbrella testing that could identify other issues (my personal suspicion is ADD, but others have also suggested Asperger's, and who knows what else). We would need to give the okay for him to start that process rolling.

So, long story short--should we pursue the in-school testing as well as the independent evaluation? It would be free--good thing. It would likely happen sooner--good thing. However, I can't imagine that the people doing the assessment are as experienced/well-trained as at the clinic we're looking at, and I'm a little leery of having whatever conclusions they reach following her all the way through school. But...if it means that she could get whatever help/additional assistance she needs sooner, that would be great. Her teacher has made several accommodations to try to help her stay focused, reward her with extra reading time in place of doing some grade-level things that she is really beyond, works with her to help her accomplish her tasks...but he is at his wit's end, as are we. I don't really know what else to do.

Thanks for reading this novel! :-) Those who have any experience with this issue, I'd love to hear your thoughts. TIA!

ShayleighCarsensMom
02-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Long story short, you'll want to do both.
In our situation we had our child privately tested, only for the school to have him tested in order to give services.
Hugs, I know it's a long hard process!

Valerie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elliput
02-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Do both! Since you can get the school evaluations done sooner, you will be able to get an IEP or 504 plan done sooner also. It is very possible that the school might end up recommending private evaluations also in order to get a more rounded picture of your DD.

MamaKath
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Do both! Since you can get the school evaluations done sooner, you will be able to get an IEP or 504 plan done sooner also. It is very possible that the school might end up recommending private evaluations also in order to get a more rounded picture of your DD.
:yeahthat:
I would go for both. It is never a bad thing to have her viewed from 2 different perspectives, especially when they may focus a bit more on different areas of her life that are affected.

JustMe
02-29-2012, 12:17 AM
I agree, go with both. In my experience--although it does not seem to be the experience of everyone on this board---the school will be less thorough, do only the most basic tests (school psych in my district outright tell me that their job is to see if a kid qualifies for special ed, not necessarily to figure out specifically what the issue is). So, doing the school eval can't hurt. I wouldn't worry about anything "following" her through school..if they identify something, it would likely be valid. I think underindentification or not being specific enough as to what is causing the problem are more likely, which is why I do think its good to go with the private as well. Wow, lots of rambling sentences, but hopefully that gets my point across anyway.

kijip
02-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I agree both. IME, the private was much more detailed and careful. The school one was mostly about how he could do this or that to fit better in the school system but still helpful information.

MommytoEliana
02-29-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm relieved to hear that you recommend doing both; that's what I was leaning toward but it is good to be validated. Katie, it was especially helpful to see your input as I've been following your journey with T. I will definitely continue with the road to a private evaluation, but I will also give her teacher the okay to start the in-school process.

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be asking for more advice along this parenting journey; it is so great to have so many wonderful, helping parents who freely share their experiences and advice.

Indianamom2
02-29-2012, 01:27 PM
I would go for both. It is never a bad thing to have her viewed from 2 different perspectives, especially when they may focus a bit more on different areas of her life that are affected.

brittone2
02-29-2012, 01:37 PM

MommytoEliana
03-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Well, I officially got the ball rolling at DD1's school. It sounds like they start with an intervention team from across all the disciplines/grades that work together to suggest various intervention ideas within the classroom to help with some issues. They give various things a try and then if they feel it is necessary they move on to an actual assessment process. The lead teacher, with whom I spoke, did mention that since we're looking into private testing as well they'd like to work to be sure we don't duplicate tests, in order to make the best use of time/resources.

I was pretty happy with the conversation and I'm hoping that all of this helps DD1!

mytwosons
03-01-2012, 02:12 PM
I would put in a written request for an evaluation today.

If they put interventions in place now, then find later this year they aren't working, you won't be able to have her assessed before the end of the year. they have 60 school days (IIRC) to do the assessment. If you wait too long, they won't have to do it until the fall.

It sounds to me like they might be trying to save some resources by not assessing first.

MommytoEliana
03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
From what it sounded like when I spoke to the assistant principal today, this is their procedure whenever an assessment is asked for (by teacher or parents). Her teacher knows a lot of what we've been going through, so if after he brings her case before the intervention team and it doesn't sound like things are going to be effective that route, I have confidence (and will be following up with him!) that we can get the actual assessment process moving faster.

Thanks!

ETA: I just looked at the info from greatschools.org, and you're right, it looks as though we could go ahead and submit a written request to get an assessment moving faster. The thing is, I'm not really sure she falls into the category of a disability, per se: while the autism spectrum has been posited (high-functioning/Asperger's), her behavior is, from our observation, very mixed as to whether it would be an appropriate diagnosis. I don't think such an evaluation/assessment would be used to identify ADD, though I may be wrong, and I'd be surprised if she has any other learning disabilities, per se. I'm pretty happy with starting with the intervention team; we'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks. :-)