PDA

View Full Version : Silly iPad question

NCGrandma
02-29-2012, 12:28 AM
I'm planning to get an iPad 3 as soon as possible. The nice Apple store person tried to convince me to get the free engraving (even though we were talking hypothetically since she couldn't speculate on rumors...).

So for those of you who have iPads: did you get them engraved and if so, what did it say? Last name & phone number? Etc?

wellyes
02-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Nope.
Might be nice if the ipad is a gift.

crl
02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
Dh's was engraved. It said "Baba's". (Baba is the Chinese equivalent of daddy.). Then it broke and they replaced it at the Apple store for free but he didn't want to wait for a new one to be engraved and shipped. So now his isn't engraved.

Catherine

larig
02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
We never do engraving, but we hand them down--DH is giving his current ipad2 to my parents when he gets the 3. Engraving would hurt resale if that is ever an option down the road.

georgiegirl
02-29-2012, 07:37 AM
No engraving. I have a cover on it, so I would never see it anyway.

swissair81
02-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Engraving really decreases the resale value. That's how I got mine for cheap. I think it says happy holidays or something. I never see it anyway.

TwinFoxes
02-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I did it for DH's iPod many moons ago. It was some mushy message. I never thought of doing my address. I've never resold an i-anything, I can see how it would take away from the resell value. But I lose things so it might be a good idea.

baboki
02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
I've never even seen an engraved one, and my husband works for Apple. LOL!

NCGrandma
02-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not missing anything useful. I'm much more interested in getting a new iPad ASAP than in waiting for a personalized one! I use my iPod Touch constantly but the small screen is not ideal for lots of reading (like BBB...).

trales
02-29-2012, 04:31 PM
I had mine engraved with my name. I don't plan on reselling it. I was not worried about it.

kijip
02-29-2012, 04:45 PM
I would assume that it would be in a case that made the engraving moot.

larig
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for reassuring me that I'm not missing anything useful. I'm much more interested in getting a new iPad ASAP than in waiting for a personalized one! I use my iPod Touch constantly but the small screen is not ideal for lots of reading (like BBB...).

if you want it asap, stay up late the night they start selling them (usually around midnight pacific time) and order it right when they go on sale. Waiting until the AM of the next day or getting it in stores is less reliable.

NCGrandma
02-29-2012, 06:13 PM
if you want it asap, stay up late the night they start selling them (usually around midnight pacific time) and order it right when they go on sale. Waiting until the AM of the next day or getting it in stores is less reliable.

That's what I was afraid of -- so that would be (gasp!) 3 AM Eastern time, right? Hmmm ... Guess it depends on how much I want to be the first on my block to get it.

Any reason to order online for in-store pickup ?? The same Apple Store person who pushed engraving was also pushing that... Guess she figured that grandmas don't know how to set up new technology! (in my case, not true...)

larig
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
That's what I was afraid of -- so that would be (gasp!) 3 AM Eastern time, right? Hmmm ... Guess it depends on how much I want to be the first on my block to get it.

Any reason to order online for in-store pickup ?? The same Apple Store person who pushed engraving was also pushing that... Guess she figured that grandmas don't know how to set up new technology! (in my case, not true...)

last time they didn't do in-store pick up for a while after they were announced, as I recall. It's usually big lines at the store, to create hype about the new product. I AVOID going to store (for launch) at all cost (unless you like hanging out with other apple fans). waking up a little early will take far less of your time than waiting in line for one at a store. It's nuts the first couple of weeks after a launch.

amatahrain
02-29-2012, 07:30 PM
I won one at work and it came engraved with my first and last name. If I had a choice, I would opt to not have it engraved.