PDA

View Full Version : JJ Cole Bundle Me

tlkopp
02-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Are these safe? I thought I read in an earlier version of baby bargains that they were a safe alternative to a infant snowsuit/bunting. Someone recently told me they are just as bad as a snowsuit/bunting.

amom526
02-29-2012, 07:51 AM
i think the general consensus is that these should not be used in the carseat for the same reason a snowsuit shouldn't. Some people have cut out the backs of there bundle me's. We used a bundle me in our stroller, and used a shower cap style cover with our carseat.

123LuckyMom
02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Definitely get a shower cap style cover for the car seat instead. They keep out the cold well, and they're safe!

CKfamily
02-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Not to say it means anything that significant but:

http://jjcolecollections.com/quality-and-safety

"Although no testing is required, each of our car seat products (bundlemes and body supports) have undergone and passed the FMVSS-213 test. Tests performed on car seats with the products installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS-213 requirements."

newg
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
I found the straps of the car seat did not line up completely with the slots of the bundleme.....it made me uncomfortable because I felt the straps would be compromised in a crash.
We went with a shower cap style instead and it worked wonderfully. I also liked it because I could take it off completely if we stayed inside for a long period, so the DDs wouldn't get hot.
I did a toddler bundleme on the strollers.

citymama
03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Total waste of money, IMO! I had one with DD1 and never used it once, and neither with DD2!

Kaylee31
03-01-2012, 06:38 PM
From what I've read, any aftermarket accessory, like bundle mes, headhuggers, strap covers, etc. is considered unsafe. I had a bundle me for DS and just cut a section out of the back, so it wouldn't interfere with the harness straps. I got a shower cap style for DD and so far it has been invaluable. We ended up leaving the hospital after she was born in the middle of a snowstorm. And it was sleeting the day of her 2 week checkup. The car seat cover is waterproof and has a flap to completely protect from the elements, so I like it better than the bundle me for carseat use. But I love the bundle me for using in strollers.

boilermakermom
03-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I am confused. I used one with DD, and diet have any problems, nor did I see any potential issues with it. What am I missing?

legaleagle
03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
http://thecarseatlady.blogspot.com/2011/01/bundle-me-everyone-uses-it-in-car-seat.html

mom2binsd
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Not to say it means anything that significant but:

http://jjcolecollections.com/quality-and-safety

"Although no testing is required, each of our car seat products (bundlemes and body supports) have undergone and passed the FMVSS-213 test. Tests performed on car seats with the products installed found that the car seats complied with the Restraint System Integrity and Occupant Excursion portions of the FMVSS-213 requirements."

This doesn't mean much, they haven't tested it on every seat out there and so they can't really say that the seat will perform in a crash as it was supposed to. Most seats warranties will be voided if you use any aftermarket product.

edurnemk
03-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Definitely get a shower cap style cover for the car seat instead. They keep out the cold well, and they're safe!

:yeahthat: since the backing is as thick as many buntings or coats. I didn't know any better and used a regular Bundle me with DS, but after knowing it was unsafe I only used it in the stroller. We're getting this one for DD:
http://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole-Seat-Cover-Pink/dp/B003ZUXQY4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1WF919O42XQRU&colid=OERVQY8SR3AE

peafive
03-02-2012, 01:28 AM
I used a bundle me in the carseat when DS was 5 months old and he was fine. He would asleep and nap in the car and I felt like he was warmer with it. Now I'm using a bunting and I don't have a problem with it.

TwoBees
03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
A blanket on top and tucked around the legs and body works just as well. And you probably have tons of them already.

Now I'm using a bunting and I don't have a problem with it.

I wouldn't use a bunting either, for the same safety reasons as the original BundleMe

edurnemk
03-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I used a bundle me in the carseat when DS was 5 months old and he was fine.

The real risk of these things is in case of a car accident, if you never get in an accident of course the baby will be fine, but in a car crash, the forces are so great that anything even slightly fluffy will compress, and since the straps on the car seat need to be a lot looser in order to fit with the bundle me or bunting, once all that fabric and filling is compressed the straps will not be snug around the baby and thus the car seat will not do it's job of protecting the baby. He/she could be thrown out of the car seat.

There's a few videos explaining this, maybe by the car seat lady? If not check car-seat.org There's also a sticky at the top of the car seat forum in this board addressing the issue of winter clothes and car seats with a lot of great alternatives