PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce the name "Emmet"?

fumofu
02-29-2012, 05:20 AM
Title says it all. DH and I are playing with names for DC2, due in April. We'd like a name that isn't too common, but easy to pronounce. Definitely not something that may confuse people with pronunciation.

Thank you!

georgiegirl
02-29-2012, 07:32 AM
EM-it

That's how I'd pronounce it. I think I usually see it Emmett though.

daisymommy
02-29-2012, 07:34 AM
EM-it
Like the football player (Smith)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoJo
02-29-2012, 07:56 AM
Like "Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas," but that's definitely showing my age.

eagle
02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
em-MAY. thats just me though.

not really. EM-it

TwinFoxes
02-29-2012, 08:19 AM
em-MAY. thats just me though.

not really. EM-it

Snicker. ;)

EM-met. Agree that I usually see it with two Ts.

artvandalay
02-29-2012, 08:42 AM
EM-it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:yeahthat: I don't think it's hard to pronounce at all. I've never heard it pronounced the second way (with emphasis on "met")

It's a nice name, I like it!

american_mama
02-29-2012, 08:44 AM
It's a main street in my town and everyone prononounces it your first way. I did not know how it was spelled despite driving on the street almost daily; a quick google reveals a lot of confusion over one or two Ts in the street address. I know two children roughly aged five named that in my town (coincidence, I'm sure, since I've never heard the name even suggested online or IRL) and they both spell it with two T's. (eta: I am pretty sure those kids preceded the Twilight series).

Another similar idea is Everett or, even better, Everest. The latter is a wonderful name, IMO, but a lot to live up to.

Smillow
02-29-2012, 08:49 AM

:waving4: First thing I thought of too!

ilfaith
02-29-2012, 09:05 AM

My first thought as well.

I do like the name. I think it is "cool" and a bit unexpected, without being too out there or cRe8ive.

trcy
02-29-2012, 09:24 AM
EM-it

That's how I'd pronounce it. I think I usually see it Emmett though.:yeahthat:

Gena
02-29-2012, 09:29 AM

:yeahthat:

That's a favorite in our house.

Melaine
02-29-2012, 09:35 AM
I really like Emmett...I suspect the popularity to spike because of the character from Twilight. I say it, "M-it"

hellokitty
02-29-2012, 09:38 AM
Another similar boy name is, "Emery," if you like the Em-, but don't want confusion about how to pronounce it.

crl
02-29-2012, 09:40 AM
We have a nine year old on the street with that name. Pronounced the first way. I don't know how he spells is, but I have only ever seen it with two ts on the end. And I too would worry about an increase in popularity fueled by Twlight.

Catherine

peanut520
02-29-2012, 11:12 AM
M-it
cute name

sste
02-29-2012, 11:14 AM
We like Emmett too! Great name. I will say that I was taken aback to notice that the four year old room at DS's preschool had the dreaded Emmett B. and Emmett Q. in a class of fifteen!

karstmama
02-29-2012, 11:26 AM
EYAH-mit. but i'm southern.

Minnifer
02-29-2012, 11:27 AM
EM-it. It's my cat's name! :D But I like it for a kid, too!

JoyNChrist
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
M-it

I think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing with the two t's though. DS2 is Elliott, and we went back and forth over two t's or one. We finally decided that two t's was a little more common, so we went with that, but his name still gets misspelled about half the time.

SnuggleBuggles
02-29-2012, 12:24 PM
EM-it is how I say it.

AnnieW625
02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Em-met, like Emmit Smith the football player.

squimp
02-29-2012, 12:51 PM
I think it's a super cute name!

kijip
02-29-2012, 02:01 PM
EM-it

:yeahthat:

wallawala
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree with M-it like Emmitt Smith. (Go Gators!)

Emery is nice to, but has more cross-over with girls names. We have an Emmett (boy), Emery (girl), Emerson (girl) and Emersyn (girl) all at DD's daycare. E names are great!

teedeedee
02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
M-it. I love that name! It was my grandfather's name and I kinda wish i had used it (or Everett which is another family name that i love) for DS.

fumofu
02-29-2012, 07:15 PM
M-it

I think it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing with the two t's though. DS2 is Elliott, and we went back and forth over two t's or one. We finally decided that two t's was a little more common, so we went with that, but his name still gets misspelled about half the time.

Thanks, everyone! I really like the name spelled with one T, but DH said some may think it's pronounced em-MET (usually spelled "Emet" - it means "truth" in Hebrew, I like this one, too!). But now I worry about misspellings.

JoyNChrist, do you or DS2 get annoyed when his name get misspelled?

I also like Emery and Emerson, but we already know a little girl named Emery, and Emerson is a potential name in case DC2 turns out to be a girl.

Thanks, again!

lurksalot
02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
We like Emmett too! Great name. I will say that I was taken aback to notice that the four year old room at DS's preschool had the dreaded Emmett B. and Emmett Q. in a class of fifteen!

Oh no...we have an Emmett Quinn (also 4 years old)...and I thought we were the only ones...

Now that I teach to Kill a Mockingbird, I think of Emmett Till...

JoyNChrist
03-01-2012, 12:06 AM
JoyNChrist, do you or DS2 get annoyed when his name get misspelled?

Not really. Well, DS2 is 18 months old, so he definitely doesn't care, lol. And I don't really mind - we knew it might be a common mistake when we chose the name. It annoys me when family or a close friend does it, because I feel like they should know better, but for other people, not really. My own name, Stacy, is frequently misspelled (Stacey, Staci, Stacie) and I just kind of go with it.

fumofu
03-01-2012, 01:46 AM
Not really. Well, DS2 is 18 months old, so he definitely doesn't care, lol. And I don't really mind - we knew it might be a common mistake when we chose the name. It annoys me when family or a close friend does it, because I feel like they should know better, but for other people, not really. My own name, Stacy, is frequently misspelled (Stacey, Staci, Stacie) and I just kind of go with it.

Whoops, I forgot to check your signature on DS2's age. Yeah, a misspelled name would annoy me. I think I'm starting to lean towards Emmett.

I'm usually pretty good about spelling people's name correctly. But somehow when I was wedding planning, I didn't realize the facility coordinator's name was "Michele" with one L until just days before the big date. Whoops!