PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade a 5 weeks old to take a paci?

Kira's Mommy
02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
My 5 weeks old thinks he's too cool for pacis. I tried giving him a paci when he was just a few days old. He took it, but I read too many horror stories about nipple confusion and was too scared to introduce it before 4 weeks. Sure enough, when he was 4 w/o he didn't take it.

I tried different brands. I tried offering a paci when he's happy, also tried when he fusses. Tried the reverse phsycology method when I gently try to take the paci from his mouth hoping he'd suck on it. No luck. He gets angry if I even try. Any advice?

LD92599
02-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Does he need a paci? Neither of mine ever took one and didn't miss it, as far as I know?

Tammy
02-29-2012, 02:25 PM
My second DD didn't take to the paci until she was 7 weeks old. And believe me, I tried a lot cause she wasn't a great sleeper. I remember mentioning it to the ped, and he commented that most newborns that young just aren't coordinated enough to take the paci (suck on it and keep it in). If you think he needs it or would be soothed by it I would just try (but don't push it) every few days or maybe wait a week in between. It was all of a sudden that it worked with my DD.

Kira's Mommy
02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Does he need a paci? Neither of mine ever took one and didn't miss it, as far as I know?

Well, both my kids much prefer to use me as a paci, which was fine with DD - I didn't have another little one to run after. She eventually grew out of it but I did sometimes wish she'd take a paci - in a car seat, in a stroller, anywhere where I couldn't immediately pick her up and sooth her by nursing her. I also sometimes wonder if she was a better sleeper if she took the paci. I realize paci wont be as soothing as nursing but if it can help in any way, I'd give it a try.

Indianamom2
02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Some kids never will use a paci. DD loved hers...no problems from day one.

Ds never liked his. He may have used it a couple short times in the hospital, but he didn't have the strong need to suck like DD did. Despite my best efforts and every single brand available, Ds never would take a paci.

I'm going to guess your child doesn't really want it and won't be persuaded.

ashleybama24
02-29-2012, 02:42 PM
It took my older until 4 months to figure out how to keep it in...he would hold it in with his little fist. My youngest still won't take one and I still try occasionally at 7 months! It doesn't matter the brands, size, shape, texture, or even temperature, he always spits them out.

TwoBees
02-29-2012, 02:46 PM
DD never used a paci. Is there any reason why your DS needs it?

wallawala
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Well, both my kids much prefer to use me as a paci, which was fine with DD - I didn't have another little one to run after. She eventually grew out of it but I did sometimes wish she'd take a paci - in a car seat, in a stroller, anywhere where I couldn't immediately pick her up and sooth her by nursing her. I also sometimes wonder if she was a better sleeper if she took the paci. I realize paci wont be as soothing as nursing but if it can help in any way, I'd give it a try.

I get the desire to not be a human paci and at least have the option for a paci when you need a break. No good advice, but hugs. My DD never took a paci until her brother was born... now at 2.5 she thinks she needs one!:ROTFLMAO:

JBaxter
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Some babies never will. I had 4 and I TRIED with all of them. MULTIPLE brands.

mikeys_mom
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
I know this doesn't work for all babies but it did for all 4 of mine. We would put the paci in their mouth, hold it there for a few seconds and then start to pull it out. Their sucking reflex would kick in and then they would try to get it back in their mouths. We did that for a few days and they seemed to figure out how to use the pacis.

carolinamama
02-29-2012, 11:13 PM
DS1 and DD loved/love pacis. DS2 would.not.take.one. Like got really insulted every time I tried. He used me. It was rough but I don't think there was much else I could have done.

Keep trying, but I'm not sure you will succeed. :shrug:

barkley1
02-29-2012, 11:16 PM
We put Mylicon drops on the paci for a long time...they taste sweet and the pediatrician says they're not absorbed by the body, so you can use as much as you want!

sweetsue98
02-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Dd#2 is u weeks old today and I still have to hold the paci in her mouth for a few seconds for her to suck on it. She spits it out once in a while too. I only use it when she is fussy or need to nap.

Minnifer
02-29-2012, 11:47 PM
You might succeed eventually... DS refused to take one even though he *really* could have used it (reflux, couldn't sleep unless I was next to him and boob-in-mouth, etc.). I just kept offering periodically and then at around 5-6 months he got pretty into it, I think mainly b/c he was getting a bunch of teeth at once and he wanted to gnaw on it. Now he loves it (I know it's a bit "late" and now he'll probably be a binky addict, lol, but it helped get him out of my bed and sleeping on his own so works for me!). Anyway, that's just to say, keep trying, it could happen! :)

Kira's Mommy
03-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Thank you very much everyone! I too doubt that I'll ever succeed, but it doesn't hurt to try:)