PDA

View Full Version : Summer childcare - Update in #11

Gena
02-29-2012, 02:29 PM
DH and I have been pretty stressed out trying to figure out what we are going to do for summer childcare. After the disastrous attempts at mainstreaming this year, DH and I realized that DS is not ready to be in a setting with lots of typical kids. It's been hard to find a program that fits. We cannot afford a summer nanny, particularly not one trained in autism. There are a few special needs day camps, but they have limited hours and do not offer before and after care.

I found a summer childcare program at a local rehabilitation center. It’s a full service place. They have childcare for special needs kids (and typical siblings) up to age 18, as well as adult day care, adult vocational training, a full therapy center, and an audiology center. The price is high, but affordable if we cut back on some things. DS would be able to get speech therapy and OT as pull out services, if my insurance approves. This would be great since DS does not qualify for summer services through school.

But the application process is unreal! I had an intake meeting with the youth services director, which included a tour of the facility. She gave me a HUGE packet of information to full out. In addition to the usual childcare forms there was an extensive medical questionnaire, developmental & social history, financial information, information releases, etc. I had to supply copies of his birth certificate, latest evaluations, and his IEP. Then DS had to go in for an observation/evaluation by their staff. We just got all that stuff done. Now his application has to go before the intake committee, where they will review all his information and decide if DS is a good match to their program. I hope to hear from them next week.

You would think we were trying to get the kid into college or something.

crl
02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Whoa. That's a serious application process. I hope it all goes well!

Catherine

elliput
02-29-2012, 05:23 PM
:hug::hug::hug: After all that, I sure hope he gets in. What a huge PITA.

Uno-Mom
02-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Sheesh, that seems more typical for application into a 24 hour residential facility!

Well, anyway, I hope this is a great solution for you son. Maybe the huge process indicates that they plan to do a very, very good job for each child, providing truly individualized care. I hope so!

inmypjs
02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
That does sound like a lot. I guess they want to be thorough. I hope it works out for you, it sounds like a good program.

mytwosons
03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
That is quite the process! I hope it translates to an excellent match for your son over the summer.

egoldber
03-01-2012, 10:57 AM
Are there any day camps that have special needs spaces? The camp at the JCC my older DD often attends has a limited number of special needs spots. You have to apply (although the process is nothing like that other place!!!) and be accepted. I think there is a slightly higher fee and the child gets a full or half-time shadow. Maybe a Y or other traditional day camp may offer this?

I know that our county park&rec also offers specials needs camps and special needs places in traditional day camps.

StantonHyde
03-09-2012, 12:41 AM
ditto on egoldber (beth') response. Also--the psych hospital where I work has a day treatment program. In the summer, we run an autism camp for a month where the kids are paired with typical peers and do so many fun things!! It runs from 8-4. Do you have day treatment facilities in your area? We started ours because there was a need and because day treatment facilities see a drop in patients over the summer.

Gena
03-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from the intake committee regarding DS's application.

Are there any day camps that have special needs spaces? The camp at the JCC my older DD often attends has a limited number of special needs spots. You have to apply (although the process is nothing like that other place!!!) and be accepted. I think there is a slightly higher fee and the child gets a full or half-time shadow. Maybe a Y or other traditional day camp may offer this?

I know that our county park&rec also offers specials needs camps and special needs places in traditional day camps.

Our community parks & recs department has a special needs day camp, but it is only 9-3 with no before & after care. So even though it sounds like a great program, it won't work for us.

I am really hesitant to put DS in a mainstream program, even with an aide or shadow. He had such a traumatic experience with the every attempt to mainstream him this year. Not just at school, but at Sunday school and at his previous daycare. He really needs to be in a fully supportive setting so he can recover psychologically and emotionally.

I don't know what we will do if he doesn't get accepted into this program. We probably will have to look into the camp at the Y as an alternative. I know they will take special needs kids because another Y in a different part of the state got taken to court over this issue a few years ago. After that they all had to adjust their policies. But I would rather have DS go somewhere that is designed for kids like him rather than programs that will take him because the law says they have to.

MamaKath
03-12-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm still waiting to hear from the intake committee regarding DS's application.

I am really hesitant to put DS in a mainstream program, even with an aide or shadow. He had such a traumatic experience with the every attempt to mainstream him this year. Not just at school, but at Sunday school and at his previous daycare. He really needs to be in a fully supportive setting so he can recover psychologically and emotionally.

But I would rather have DS go somewhere that is designed for kids like him rather than programs that will take him because the law says they have to.

Gena, I hope you hear soon! I know it has been a rough year for you guys! I hope that you are able to get a good spot for him and he is able to continue to heal.

I find myself realizing how much healing still goes on from various educational events in dc's life.You are someone who comes to my mind when I am finding myself struggling with making sure dc has what is needed; you are a source of strength. Thank you for posting here. :)

Gena
03-12-2012, 11:13 PM
They called: HE GOT IN!!! :yay:

I can't even describe how relieved I am that DS has a safe, supportive, therapeutic place to go this summer. It's such a weight off me.

I find myself realizing how much healing still goes on from various educational events in dc's life.You are someone who comes to my mind when I am finding myself struggling with making sure dc has what is needed; you are a source of strength. Thank you for posting here. :)

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate them. I get a huge amount of encouragement and support from this board and that helps me more than I can say.

elliput
03-13-2012, 12:07 AM
:yay: I'm so glad! What a relief this must be for you. I hope your DS has a wonderful experience! :boogie:

mytwosons
03-14-2012, 10:25 AM
:boogie: Yeah!!! So glad he got in! I hope he has a wonderful summer at the new camp!

crl
03-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Hooray!

Catherine

wellyes
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm happy for you guys.
And REALLY wishing for the days when we didn't have to have summer all lined up by March!

Beth24
03-14-2012, 12:15 PM
That's such great news!