PDA

View Full Version : leappad deals? any even in stock?

MizMojoLaveau
02-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Was thinking of getting one of these for DS for his birthday next week but they may be hard to come by. Info would be appreciated. Including, of course, if they are not recommended here and something else is). DS will be 6. TIA!

nfceagles
02-29-2012, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't get a 6yr old a leappad. I got one for my 3yr old for Christmas because my 6yr old DS was saving up for a 3DS and I knew he was close to getting one. She was also eager to play our Wii, but frequently frustrated by it, so I was looking for something age appropriate for her. It's nice. My DS does occassionally play with it, but I don't think he'd ever want one for himself. I think he considers it too baby-ish.

I would consider a Nintendo 3DS and use the parental controls to turn off the 3D graphics. There are plenty of educational games if you want to limit him to that. And it does some other cool things. My DS's been using it to make stop motion animations lately. It would definitely grow with him.

Another option is an ipod Touch. Two 8yr olds in my neighborhood got them for Christmas. Sounds extravagant, but the games options are endless and cheap. My 6yr old would have no problem operating one I'm sure. I'm not sure what they offer for parental controls though.

MizMojoLaveau
03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will check out a DS. I was just worried it would be too advanced for my kiddo, as he has not been exposed to "video games" and is just now interestedin his old, old leapster (not explorer) bought for him years ago. I guess I would say he is not "techy" -- like his parents lol.

Chylynn
03-04-2012, 02:37 PM
My 6yo got a leappad for Christmas and she loves it. She has not been exposed to a lot of video games and thinks the leappad is the best thing ever. Do you have a store that you can go with your child to check it out before purchasing? We did this at TRU and it helped with our DDs decision.

August Mom
03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
I saw them at a B&M Meijer store this past week if you have those in your area.

Zoey187
03-04-2012, 04:36 PM
My Walmart had a new display with some games, the leappad, some cases and the app cards. This was just a few days ago.

hkriw
03-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I got my 6 yo DD one for Xmas and she loves it. She'll be 7 in days. She loves making videos with it- both AG doll videos and Thomas videos with her 3 yo brother. The games are good too. She loves the ebooks.

She's a more immature 6 with "trends" but not socially -and thats fine by us.

MizMojoLaveau
03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Hmmm. No Meijer here and TRU and Walmart are out of stock (should have asked when they will be getting more). I will keep looking to play with one IRL.

MomtoNico
03-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Just got am email from target stating they have these in stock for 99.00.

MizMojoLaveau
03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Okay, thanks! I am past the birthday gift-buying, but still want to check out one of these things IRL (our TRU turned their display one off).

keckert
03-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Kmart.com had them for $64 yesterday, not sure if they are still in-stock.