PDA

View Full Version : Would you submit work without a contract?

bisous
02-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Any reason this should be a problem? Last year I had a contract to write four blog posts a month for x amount of money and it expired this year. This year, my contact has asked me to write four more posts and told me a contract is coming. I've written my posts for this Friday deadline but haven't received a contract yet. Any reason I shouldn't send? This is a very large employer and they were very easy to work with last year.

longtallsally05
02-29-2012, 05:13 PM
Ooo...I don't think I would do that. If they are a large outfit, they shouldn't have a problem writing up a contract. If you submit work without a contract, you're just giving it to them (gifts are free)! I would contact them and let them know you've written the pieces and are waiting to submit ASAP pending a contract.

misshollygolightly
02-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Ooo...I don't think I would do that. If they are a large outfit, they shouldn't have a problem writing up a contract. If you submit work without a contract, you're just giving it to them (gifts are free)! I would contact them and let them know you've written the pieces and are waiting to submit ASAP pending a contract.

:yeahthat: Even if they are reputable and would eventually do the right thing, better to sort this out *before* you submit the work rather than try to get someone's attention after the fact. Send an email saying the work is ready and you'll send it in once you see the contract. (Also, it's possible that the contract may be different from last year's...less pay, fine print, whatever...you definitely want to see it first in case there's something you're not comfortable with!)

Giantbear
02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
:yeahthat: Even if they are reputable and would eventually do the right thing, better to sort this out *before* you submit the work rather than try to get someone's attention after the fact. Send an email saying the work is ready and you'll send it in once you see the contract. (Also, it's possible that the contract may be different from last year's...less pay, fine print, whatever...you definitely want to see it first in case there's something you're not comfortable with!)I disagree. I would submit the work with a note to the contact that you are still awaiting the contract and, as a measure of good faith you are submitting this article, but would like to have a written contract before submitting any future work. If you just refuse to submit, you run the risk of putting your contact in a bad position and losing the work. Worst case you gave them a free article, best case, you showed you are a team player and will have work going forward and a good relationship with your contact.

wellyes
02-29-2012, 06:05 PM
I disagree. I would submit the work with a note to the contact that you are still awaiting the contract and, as a measure of good faith you are submitting this article, but would like to have a written contract before submitting any future work. If you just refuse to submit, you run the risk of putting your contact in a bad position and losing the work. Worst case you gave them a free article, best case, you showed you are a team player and will have work going forward and a good relationship with your contact.
I agree with this. The bigger the place, the more convoluted layers of process paperwork has to go through.

It may take longer to get paid without a contract, since accounting might not cut you a check until all signatures are in a place, is the big risk to me.

bisous
02-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I have a few days--maybe the contract will come in.

anamika
02-29-2012, 08:17 PM
If you have a few days, maybe you could let them know that you have the pieces or are almost done with them and are just waiting for the contract to turn it in?
A gentle nudge could have the desired effect.

Giantbear
02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
If you have a few days, maybe you could let them know that you have the pieces or are almost done with them and are just waiting for the contract to turn it in?
A gentle nudge could have the desired effect.i agree with this, i thought the article was due right away. Give a nudge to the contact, but is would still give them one with the letter i mentioned if the contract does not come before the article is due. I would not give two unless you were paid for the first

lmh2402
03-01-2012, 12:08 AM
i agree with this, i thought the article was due right away. Give a nudge to the contact, but is would still give them one with the letter i mentioned if the contract does not come before the article is due. I would not give two unless you were paid for the first

:yeahthat: totally agree

i'm a contract employee and while my relationship with my employer is very familiar and many years long, i have always extended courtesy when contracts (renewed yearly) are delayed. for better or worse, large companies often have so many layers of people and process to get through in order to finalize contracts. at the end of the day, maintaining good relations with them is my primary goal b/c they pay me. so i show good faith on the occasions when it's needed (happens to me at the start of almost every year)... and i've always been fine in the long run.

in your case, i'd give a call tomorrow to nudge. still submit your for your friday deadline and then follow-up again for the contract early next week, if you've still not received it.

good luck!

HannaAddict
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Give them the posts, they are busy. They will pay. You said they were large and easy to work with - it
Is pretty common for the contract to follow. Just send a confirming email with the blog posts. It will be fine.