PDA

View Full Version : Flip Video Camera

light-castle
02-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Looking for a good online deal on a Flip video camera. Anyone know of any?

Thanks,
Jennifer

kochh2
03-03-2012, 06:54 PM
bumpity bump

WatchingThemGrow
03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I thought I read something that Flip video is going to stop existing. Am I crazy or did I read that somewhere (here?) this week?

Pennylane
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I thought I read something that Flip video is going to stop existing. Am I crazy or did I read that somewhere (here?) this week?

No, you are right and the software where you download the videos is only going to be available for a limited time. So basically it is going to be worthless.

Ann

MSWR0319
03-03-2012, 09:25 PM

True. They are discontinuing software as well.

ahisma
03-03-2012, 09:33 PM
I've never used the software. You don't need it.

Pennylane
03-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I've never used the software. You don't need it.

Can you just download it to any media player?

Ann

elmojessi
03-03-2012, 11:44 PM
As I understand it, they're just not supporting Flip anymore. The software is preloaded on the camera and anytime you plug your Flip into a new computer, it will automatically install the software on that computer. For what it's worth, I absolutely love our Flip...it is ridiculously easy to use.

Since they aren't making Flips anymore, I imagine you should be able to find a pretty good deal on one, if you're willing to buy a product that won't have support going forward.

elmojessi
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Can you just download it to any media player?

No, you download to your computer and use the software to edit/view your videos. We use YouTube to share our videos from there.

Flip records as MP4 files, which can also be played by QuickTime, but since the software is loaded on the Flip and installable at any time, I'm not sure when you'd ever need another player.

larig
03-04-2012, 11:11 AM
the thing I would worry about is the fact that (as PPs pointed out) they are not supporting it going forward, so say you upgrade to windows 8 or the next mac OSX it is unlikely there will be a version of the flip software and drivers that will run on the new OS. Then you're stuck with the flip and you can't move it to your drive or edit the videos.

I'd be leery about buying a device that is no longer supported. UNLESS some indie developer is going to patch something together. (e.g., I have an old scanner for which I didn't have a driver for the new versions of OSX, so I bought software that works with LOTS of legacy scanners, and didn't worry about using Canon's software).

Claki
03-04-2012, 12:10 PM
I've never used Flip software or drivers on any of my computers. I just plug it in and x out of the screens that want to install the software. It works just fine using the Windows Camera Wizard on PCs and on my Mac I just use iPhoto to download. Or I can open it up as a mounted drive and transfer the video files.

I don't know where you can find them now for a deal, but if I found one for a deal I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

iaam
03-04-2012, 01:48 PM
I've never used Flip software or drivers on any of my computers. I just plug it in and x out of the screens that want to install the software. It works just fine using the Windows Camera Wizard on PCs and on my Mac I just use iPhoto to download. Or I can open it up as a mounted drive and transfer the video files.

I don't know where you can find them now for a deal, but if I found one for a deal I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Completely agree! I really love the convenience of my Flip and almost wish I had bought another one when the great deals were popping up a few months ago. Hope you are able to find one at a good price, if you decide you do want to get it!

Katigre
03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
I was unable to find a good deal on Flip and went with the Creative VAIO instead and am really happy with it - I had a flip previously and Creative has more screen width and great volume/image stabilization. Plus it was only $72 on amazon - far cheaper than the flip :).