PDA

View Full Version : Would you get a high chair or kid sized table?

BabbyO
02-29-2012, 04:55 PM
DS2 is almost 6 mo and making it very apparent he is ready to start solids soon. DS1 is 2.5 yo and still uses his high chair and fits in it fine.

Our kitchen is long and narrow and we have a bar height table at the far end with 2 bench/stools that fit under the table when not in use. Its a bit hard to describe, but the table sits right between the kitchen/living room walkway and the kitchen/half bath/basement walkway. (Pic attached). It is a tight space but there isn't any other location for a table in our kitchen...and there isn't really a dining room in our house.

We realize that this table is not practical for the long haul...but purchasing a new table is not an option right now for us.

So now with both boys eating/about to eat solid food...we're trying to figure out what to do. The options I see are:
1. Get second high chair for DS2, probably second hand and let DS1 keep using his high chair.
2. Get small kids table to sit in another corner of the kitchen for DS1 to eat at, have DS2 use the HC and DH & I sit at the table.
3. Get a bar height chair with a back on it and use the portable HS that straps to a chair.

I'm a bit apprehensive of #3 since DS1 has been in the habit of pushing away from the table with his feet. In his HC this isn't a problem since it is on wheels and he just moves away. If he were in a regular chair, he could just tip the chair over. Additionally, it seems that chairs that would work sell for about $100/ea.

So what would you do? Am I missing another option?

TIA!

nfowife
02-29-2012, 05:01 PM
In your situation I would get a 2nd highchair for your baby.

HonoluluMom
02-29-2012, 05:05 PM

:yeahthat:

rin
02-29-2012, 05:39 PM

:yeahthat:

If you pick up a cheap one on CL, if it ends up not working out for some reason you can always just sell it for what you originally paid, and then move on to one of your other options.

gamma
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I would get a highchair for the baby. Ikea has very inexpensive highchairs for around $20. I don't think a 2.5 year old will sit at a small table by himself for very long, he would want some company.