PDA

View Full Version : Where do your kids sleep when throwing up?

MSWR0319
02-29-2012, 06:35 PM
DS has caught my stomach bug. He's 3 and I'm not sure understands that if he has to get sick at night to use the trash can like he has been during the day. Do you have your kids sleep in their own bed with a bucket beside them? Just not sure the best thing to do here. I could put his travel bed in our room. Advice?

Also, he keeps asking to eat and drink so I gave him some pedialyte which just comes back up. How long after he gets sick until I should give him something to drink? He's only thrown up one other time about a year ago, so is is all new to me.

wellyes
02-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Let him sleep wherever is the easiest to clean up, that is still comfortable for him. In my experience vomiting is always worst at night. Poor kid!!

Any liquid he can keep down is good. I wouldn't withhold anything.

MSWR0319
02-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks! Last year when he was sick he ended up getting dehydrated because he wouldn't drink at all. Now it's the opposite, he just wants to drink, so I was sure what to do! I'll let him drink for sure then.

o_mom
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Mine sleep in my room, on the floor next to my bed. I find that if we do that, I can get up and strategically 'aim' them at the bucket so that all that needs to be cleaned is the bucket. If they are alone in their room, even with a bucket, I end up having to change bedding, clean carpets, etc.

As far as eating/drinking. The usual advice is to wait an hour after vomiting and then give one tablespoon at a time of a clear liquid. I have never found any evidence to back it up, though many doctors/nurses will tell you to follow it. I do know that for me, being thirsty and having dry heaves is far, far worse than puking up liquids when I have a stomach bug, so I let my kids drink and eat. I do try to limit it to things that will be easy and non-staining coming back up. I also will usually fill their cups with ice and just a bit of water so they they don't chug a whole cup, but I don't restrict them from it completely.

megs4413
02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I would set him up in your room in an easy to clean up situation. Here, DS has an extra bed in his room for me (he has frequent health issues, so it's a permanent solution for us) and when he was puking this week, i just set up camp in the next bed and provided the bucket as needed.

I would go ahead and give him the pedialyte if he wants it, but only give him like a teaspoon at a time at first and make him wait a few minutes between sips. HUGS! hope he feels better soon.

kijip
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Let him sleep wherever is the easiest to clean up, that is still comfortable for him. In my experience vomiting is always worst at night. Poor kid!!

Any liquid he can keep down is good. I wouldn't withhold anything.

:yeahthat:

DrSally
03-01-2012, 12:10 AM
i just went through this w/both kids. Mine don't mind sleeping on the floor, so I set them up on a fleece blanket next to my bed. If it does get on the blanket, it won't soak through e fleece, and I can rinse it out and throw it in the washer. But, for usually I can hear when it's going to come, so I help them get it in the bucket. Nothing bites more than cleaning vomit out of carpet at 2am. I generally wait until there hasn't been vomitting for at least an hour and then give a sip every 15 minutes.

Naranjadia
03-01-2012, 12:25 AM
How timely. DD has been vomiting for the last 24 hours. Last night we had her sleep between us. We lined her area with towels and put a bowl by her head. Last week, DS was in the same position, but he is not as good vomiting in a bowl, so we just wound up using a lot of towels. DH and I can both sleep hard, so if we had them on the floor or in their room, I'd just worry that I wouldn't know what was going on or wake up to comfort them.

hellokitty
03-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Somewhere down low or basically the floor. My older boys have loft beds, so when they are sick, I have them sleep on the sofa beneath their loft beds. I also put down a lot of chux pads, in case of accident, plus a barf bucket and tissues.

Giantbear
03-01-2012, 12:42 AM
last time my daughter slept in her crib and i slept on the floor next to her crib, but while she was throwing up, she slept on my chest in the glider

BabbyO
03-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, I haven't had to deal with the sleeping part, but DS2 (5 mo) just had the stomach bug and the Ped told us 1 tsp every 20 minutes of pedialyte. I would up it to about a tablespoon for a 3 you.

Also, I had the bug a few weeks ago and I could not keep ANY liquid down no matter how tiny the sip. I was able to keep down the pedialyte freezer pop though. From now on I'm trying frozen pedialyte/gatorate when I've got a stomach bug. It helped SO much.

GL!

jacksmomtobe
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
We just had the stomach bug here. I slept next to DD who was throwing up in her queen bed with a bin handy for when she felt the need to throw up. DS had it previously and I was just in ear shot as he just had diahrea.

lizzywednesday
03-01-2012, 12:24 PM
We kick DH out to the couch & DD stays in bed with me.

I line the bed in towels & grab the chamber pot my mom bought for her.

If I'm quick enough, the vomit ends up in the pot; if not, well, I get covered in it.

So sorry to hear about the tummy bug. (Vomit is my kryptonite.)

You can also try sips of room-temp seltzer; apparently the bubbles settle the stomach. (Who knew? Also, this is how I survived morning sickness.)

And can you still get CocaCola syrup at the pharmacy? Pour a little bit of that over ice for sipping.

MamaSnoo
03-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I hope your LO had a 24 hr bug and is already feeling better, but if not, here is what we do: DD has a full size bed. I just layed down several layers of large bath towels and keep a garbage can by the bed. I stayed with her in the bed to try to help her get to the trashcan (and because she really needs comforting when she is sick like that). But, if she missed, I just peeled back a layer of towels and put them out in the hall. Everything in the wash in the am. This has only happened twice, thankfully, but it worked for us.

secchick
03-01-2012, 01:41 PM
One of us either sleeps with the kid in their bed (a double) or in ours (king). DD is old enough now to hit the bucket, but when she was younger, if it was really bad (or beds were of commission because sheets were being washed, although we would usually go back to he bed if it was a one time thing, but after the second one we hit the floor) we would put blankets on the floor and one of us would sleep with her there. We haven't had a vomit incident with DS (almost 3) since he's been in a big boy bed, but we would probably kep him in his room, with a puke proof mattress pad only and a sheet on top, before we'd go to our bed.

MSWR0319
03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
I think he's finally getting better, almost to the 24 hr mark! He wanted to sleep in his own bed last night, so I let him. Lined the floor with towels. He did get sick once, and wanted to sleep in our room, so I put him on the travel bed right beside me. Seemed to work. He didn't get sick the rest of the night and kept waking up asking for a drink. He's not drinking much today at all, so I'm trying to push it every 20 minutes or so, as he hasn't peed since this morning, but his diaper was wet when he woke up. Thanks for all the tips! I'm thankful we haven't had to deal with this much.

MommyofAmaya
03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Vomiting kid sleep on waterproof toddler mattress covered with beach towel on living room floor. Super easy to clean up. I sleep on couch.

barkley1
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Those of you who sleep with or pretty near sick DC, do you ever manage to avoid catching it yourself? Vomit is my kryptonite, too....ugh.

newg
03-01-2012, 02:41 PM
DD1 slept in her bed and I slept on the couch cushions on the floor next to her. I kept a bucket and a ton of towels in between us. Neither of my kids like the pedialite stuff, so we do water downed gatorade or semi-flat sprite.......I agree that bubbles help; it's what I want when I'm sick.
I also agree that throwing up liquid is a lot better than having nothing in your stomach while still throwing up.

With DD2, she slept on one of us in the rocker while she was throwing up....but we returned her to her crib when she was done......I just kept everything out of the crib and piled up the birb clothes and receiving blankets to catch what I could when she threw up. And whoever she slept on wore a receiving blanket too, just in case. I slept on the couch cushions in her room too.

Hope your little one is feeling better!!

This stomach bug is a nasty one this year!

o_mom
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Those of you who sleep with or pretty near sick DC, do you ever manage to avoid catching it yourself? Vomit is my kryptonite, too....ugh.

I rarely get it from them - can't think of the last time I did. Lots of handwashing, etc., but I think mainly it's having a more experienced immune system that really does it.

newg
03-01-2012, 02:47 PM

I did catch it, but DD2 literaly threw up on me...twice. I think because of that, and the stress of dealing with DD2 being sick for a solid week while DH was out of town was why I got sick.
I don't think it was because I was in their rooms while they slept.
I do major major hand washing/hand sanitizer when the kiddos are sick. I changed the bed linens every day and washed everything in hot water and sprayed their rooms/toys/door knobs and handles with my 7th gen. multipurpose spray (which kills 99.9% of germs) everytime they took naps and I knew there would be enough time for everything to dry off.

elephantmeg
03-01-2012, 05:00 PM
30 min after the last puke before giving any more fluids and then just an ounce at a time. The kids have been sleeping on the love seat covered in towels and I sleep on the couch.

bigsis
03-02-2012, 12:57 AM
My DS sleeps in a loft bed nightly, so when he's vomiting, I put him in the office. We have a futon there and I line it with a lot of bedding---waterproof mattress pads, etc. I also have a bucket next to it. I also sleep with him there so I can assist in making sure he makes it to the bucket.

And oh, under the bucket, the floor next to the futon is also lined with towels.

niccig
03-02-2012, 01:21 AM
DS bed is lined with waterproof pad on top of the sheets and then towels all over the pillows and blankets.

hoosiermama
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
On a vinyl tablecloth on the floor.