PDA

View Full Version : Extra special gift for crunchy DCP

tny915
02-29-2012, 09:03 PM
DD2 will be leaving her home daycare in a few months, and I'm planning ahead for gifts for DCP. DCP is a lovely woman who DD has been with since she was 18 months old. DD and DCP have a very special relationship, and she has really helped to raise DD and shape her into a kind and thoughtful little girl. We stayed with DCP through a short sale of her home, a move of her daycare to a location almost 30 minutes farther from us, and lots of transitions with kids leaving and transitioning in as a result of the move. She was worth sticking with through all of that change. It really makes me sad to know she won't be a part of DD's everyday life anymore.

I usually give teachers gift cards, but I don't want to do that here. I want to give her thoughtful, meaningful gifts. I did a search here for some ideas but still need more. I'm thinking of a reuseable tote filled with a lot of small items. I will write a teacher poem on a notecard printed with DD's picture. I've never seen DCP wear jewelry, so I don't think that will work. I do like this book that I saw someone mention here too.
http://www.amazon.com/Mrs-Spitzers-Garden-Edith-Pattou/dp/0152019782/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1330561800&sr=1-11

Any other ideas of things I can include? DCP is in her 40's, loves to garden and loves her dog. She does yoga, acupuncture, keeps her own compost pile, and grows her own organic fruits and veggies with the children. I'm fine with giving some practical items as well, but I'd like to include meaningful things alongside.

TIA for your suggestions!

HonoluluMom
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Is there any particular activity that your DD especially loved doing with the DCP at daycare? Maybe you can do a themed gift for her daycare:

Reading - Set of books picked by your DD, and a few new reading chairs or pillows

Cooking - Zoku with all the fixings like a recipe book, ingredients, etc.

Gardening - Seeds (maybe she can start growing flowers with the children), pots, gardening equipment

Nature - Butterfly kit including a plant, live caterpillars

And, of course, a nice note from your DD!

crl
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM
Maybe the Pretend Soup cookbook? Or The Lorax. You could inscribe a book.

Some items from Purple Prairie Botanicals? Their soy candles smell yummy.

There some kid yoga poses cards that are really neat.

Catherine