PDA

View Full Version : Britax on an airplane?

boilermakermom
03-01-2012, 12:01 AM
I also posted in the Lounge - sorry mods!

We are heading down to FL at the end of March. DD is 3.5, and 31 lbs.

Does she need a car seat for the plane? We have a Britax Frontier that she uses daily, and a Britax Marathon. Would either of these work? We would need a car seat for the rental car as well. I am afraid the beasts wouldn't fit in the airplane seat. :)

I have also read the Evenflo Maestro travels well. Should I consider purchasing one for the trip, and selling once we return?

DietCokeLover
03-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I have flown with a Marathon. It fit fine in the seat.

HannaAddict
03-01-2012, 01:47 AM
I've flown with marathon and frontier at same time! Frontier for five year old who wanted his seat, but hubby lugged through airport on our zippy. Take the MA, the frontier is
HEAVY - but fits!

larig
03-01-2012, 02:19 AM
we have a frontier. I just flew to my parents and bought a maestro for the flight, because I was traveling by myself. I like it. I think that it will eventually become the seat in DS's Gram's car.

elektra
03-01-2012, 02:22 AM
She would probably be ok in just the seat at 3.5 but in your situation I would just bring the marathon on the plane, especially since you need it for the rental anyway. It definitely fits! Ask for a seatbelt extender though. Otherwise it is very difficult to undo the airplane seatbelt in the back of the marathon.

bearwithme
03-01-2012, 09:59 AM
Definitely take the Marathon! It was our travel seat for years and will now be the travel seat of choice for DD2. The lighter the carseat the easier for travel, but I would just take the Marathon and not buy the Maestro until she outgrows the Marathon.

newg
03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
sorry to highjack..........but we have Blvds and will be flying in the fall with DD1 being 4.5 and DD2 being 2. Do these seats travel well too? I think we'll be just taking a shuttle once we're down there, but it's 45 min from the airport to WDW.

AnnieW625
03-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I never travelled with an old style Marathon so is no real help, but I think it would easier than the Frontier. I would put a 3/1/2 yr. old on the plane without a car seat. I would just check her seat with the luggage. Car seats don't count towards your baggage.

sorry to highjack..........but we have Blvds and will be flying in the fall with DD1 being 4.5 and DD2 being 2. Do these seats travel well too? I think we'll be just taking a shuttle once we're down there, but it's 45 min from the airport to WDW.

I would not bring a seat for dd1 on the plane. I would probably still bring one for Dd2, but if you take the bus the only time you'll need the seat is on the plane so seems like a bit of a waste. I migt think about renting a cares harness for her. If it turns out you need a car I would buy a $20 low back booster you can put in the overhead bin I you don't want to check it as luggage since it doesn't seem like you will be doing a lot of driving.

newg
03-01-2012, 06:11 PM
I would not bring a seat for dd1 on the plane. I would probably still bring one for Dd2, but if you take the bus the only time you'll need the seat is on the plane so seems like a bit of a waste. I migt think about renting a cares harness for her. If it turns out you need a car I would buy a $20 low back booster you can put in the overhead bin I you don't want to check it as luggage since it doesn't seem like you will be doing a lot of driving.

You don't need car seats on a bus/shuttle van......even for a 45 min highway ride?

Aishe
03-01-2012, 06:26 PM

I think it depends on your threshold for this sort of thing. We've traveled with Marathons, but I personally consider the Blvd too heavy for travel. I know DH would have conniptions if I told him we had to schlep two Blvds through the airport. He was grouchy enough with the Marathon!

citymama
03-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I have flown with a Marathon. It fit fine in the seat.
:yeahthat: We had DD in a car seat on a plane till 4, I think.

newmomga
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
I took my DD on airplane a couple of times with her boulevard(original one from 2006) and had no problems. It's heavy to lug around but I did it by myself. It was worth the frustration for my peace of mind. they would not let me put it RF though.

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 01:42 PM
You don't need car seats on a bus/shuttle van......even for a 45 min highway ride?

It depends on the state and the type of vehicle I would think. In California they are required in taxis or an airport shuttle van that is not a bus (ie: regular passenger van), but nothing else including busses I think; but then I really don't know as we haven't done anything more than a shuttle bus at the airport. We have never needed one for the 10-20 minute shuttle ride from the parking lot to the terminal (it takes that long at LAX) or the terminal to the rental car place.

The Disney busses are large busses in CA so I would assume they are the same in Florida. I would call Disney Magic Express and ask yourself.