PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale pricing question for baby clothes

3emm
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
What's the going rate for baby clothes at a yard sale, anyone have a yard sale lately ? Thinking abut having one but have no clue about pricing. I have Carter's gently used onesies, BabyGap bodysuits for girls 0-6 months, some Boden, for boys 0- 2yrs I have tea collection, bden, baby gap, some Gymboree .any suggestions or insight are appreciated !

Tondi G
03-01-2012, 02:12 AM
If you have brand name clothing in good condition I would look into consignment shops or larger consignment sales. You are not going to get nearly as much money at a garage sale as you would going this route.

Have you offered it on Swap?

VClute
03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
If you have brand name clothing in good condition I would look into consignment shops or larger consignment sales. You are not going to get nearly as much money at a garage sale as you would going this route.

Have you offered it on Swap?

Yes to the above. If you sell smaller sizes at a yard sale, you'd be lucky to get 25 cents a piece. Yardsalers tend not to care about brands as much as price. Those who DO care about brands are still looking to buy cheap, as they are likely reselling them for profit. Offer your stuff on swap. Take what doesn't sell to a consignment shop. I LOVE consignment sales, but the investment of time and computer ink and cardstock and safety pins would wipe out any profit you could make on small sizes. Once you're selling size 2t and bigger, you can count on making more money per item.

crl
03-01-2012, 09:03 AM
If you are just looking to get the stuff gone, a yard sale is a good choice, IMO. I would price onesies at 50 cents a piece and items from nicer brands at $1 a piece and be prepared to make deals, especially for buying in bulk. And I'd go to half price at the end of the sale. It will depend on your area though.

Catherine

brittone2
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Agree w/ PPs. If you are looking to make money selling kids' clothing, a yard sale isn't going to do it most likely. Most people want cheap, cheap, cheap and will want to pay $1 an item or less.

I donate or pass on to friends/family most of our stuff. The higher end items like HA I usually list on my local CL. I have had good success there for certain types of clothes but that really depends on where you live, how active your CL is, etc. I don't really bother with selling at consignment sales ( but I do buy there). Consignment stores are usually very selective and many don't pay out much, but you'd probably do better than you will at a yard sale.

If you just want to get rid of the stuff, a yard sale can be a good option. Just don't expect people to pay much of a premium for better brands. They'll still want cheap.

BabbyO
03-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Yes to the above. If you sell smaller sizes at a yard sale, you'd be lucky to get 25 cents a piece. Yardsalers tend not to care about brands as much as price. Those who DO care about brands are still looking to buy cheap, as they are likely reselling them for profit. Offer your stuff on swap. Take what doesn't sell to a consignment shop. I LOVE consignment sales, but the investment of time and computer ink and cardstock and safety pins would wipe out any profit you could make on small sizes. Once you're selling size 2t and bigger, you can count on making more money per item.

FWIW this (bolded) is me and most of the people that I know who yard sale. I mean, I look to see that the clothes are in reasonable condition, but generally could care less about the brand.

I will pay up to $5 for full outfits. Maybe more for something special. For day-to-day clothes I expect $2 or less per item.

For things like NB, 0-3 mo onesies, etc I'd say 25-50 cents per item. I'll pay more per item as the sizes get bigger. This year I'll expect to be paying $1-3 per item for DS who'll be in 3T. Items like coats/dress outfits (pants, dress shirt, sweater/vest) I will pay more for.

HTH!

kaitlyns.mom
03-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I paid 10 cents an item for three things in size 6/7 for my DD last weekend. I was in shock! They definitely just wanted it gone. I usually expect to pay $1 per item, $2 if it's awesome and 50 cents will get me to buy more.

jellibeans
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
So how much would you sell those items at a consignment sale?

justlearning
03-01-2012, 07:22 PM
At my yard sale last year I had clothes ranging from 0-6 months up to 5T and found that the toddler sizes sold more quickly than the baby clothes. I priced everything the same (except more for winter coat or other specialty items).

I charged $1 for all items that were brands like Old Navy or Target and $2 for better name-brand items like Gymboree, Gap, Polo, etc. (unless those items showed more wear in which case I priced them $1). Although I thought that I had only put out items that were stain and rip free, I did come across a few items that had some small defect and then charged 50 cents for those items.

My customers were VERY happy with what I was selling and I sold a 3' x 6' table full of clothes in one morning. I did give some discounts when customers bought in bulk (e.g., $20 or more of clothes) but not much of a discount.

In retrospect, I think that I should have taken everything to a consignment store because I could have made a lot more money that way. (It's amazing how much they charge at consignment stores!) But my goal was to get rid of it fast, and the garage sale worked for that.

3emm
03-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Thank you so much for your replies! Omg, 50 cents :( .... Big reality check for me. Not sure what I will do ... I will definitely save the higher end stuff and try consignment I have a few Hanna's that are barely used ... I figured I wasn't going to get much at consignment
."they told me I would get 20% of the selling price or 30% store credit..so I thought I couldbmake at least $2 a piece for toddler boy sized tea collection for example.

What is SWAP btw?

Staraglimmer
03-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Swap is the baby bargain swap yahoo group. It is made up if members of this board. You get to keep all of your money minus paypal fees (or you can ask the buyer to pay fees).

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

AustenFan
03-01-2012, 11:57 PM
I have not had much luck at all with selling unwanted gifts from the inlaws at consignment stores--definitely offered less than $2/item, even for babyGap, Gymboree, and Polo (even new with tags). I just don't think they're worth it.

Agree with PP who said that she would not expect to pay more than $2/item for used clothing. Ideally, I pay $1 or less--definitely not more than .25 for baby items like onesies. Brands matter less than cuteness for me. If a garage sale is priced much more than $2/item, I won't even bother staying to look--I can get new pieces at Target for $3 on sale.

With all that said, I was totally blessed by an awesome neighbor who passed along her girls' clothes up to 2T for my girls. When we're done having kids, I totally plan to do the same--pass our bins of clothes along to another family trying to make it on a single income.

blisstwins
03-02-2012, 04:28 AM
"With all that said, I was totally blessed by an awesome neighbor who passed along her girls' clothes up to 2T for my girls. When we're done having kids, I totally plan to do the same--pass our bins of clothes along to another family trying to make it on a single income. "

This.
The money you get back is so little and I think it is such a great help, that I also try to pass on my children's clothes to families I know it will help.

mom3boys
03-02-2012, 12:59 PM
It's so funny I never even considered selling my clothing items, even though we had a yard sale that included other baby stuff. I had BabyGap, Polo, etc.
I gave most of my clothes to friends, I also had a babysitter whose friend was having a baby and the friend apparently had like no money for clothes (or anything else) so I just gave a bunch of my stuff to her. Other clothes were donated to Salvation Army store (I guess we got something for it since it was tax deductible).

Then DS3 surprised us, I was sad that I didn't have any of my old stuff, but my friends, in turn, gave me a bunch of clothes and some of it was even my old clothes back. I see clothes for sale on CL but it seems like so much "effort" to go get it I don't usually bother, and I don't always want the whole pile of clothes, so I'd rather just pay for what I want. I have a couple of items now in perfect condition (winter buntings, etc, some never used) and I am thinking of putting them on CL or consignment but with the season being just about over I don't know if I should hold onto them until fall.

DH hates clutter and wants me to get rid of stuff DS3 has grown out of NOW. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, I don't have a friend expecting a baby. Probably even the nice stuff is Salvation Army-bound. We live in an area with a lot of low-income families so I know there are people who need the items.

3emm
03-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Thanks for everyone's feedback!!

I have given the majority of my stuff to my SIL and friends, also to friends at work. I saved a good chunk of pieces for a second baby. Well, my baby s girl so now I've been left with a lot of cute stuff but all my friends' boys are now older, hence the need to sell or consign.

So I do agree that it's just easier to give the clothes away, it's a hassle to sell it, it seems, and it's just better to give the clothes to someone who needs it or would appreciate it!!

Well, I had an impromptu yard sale today and I sold some items for $1. But all the nicer stuff didn't sell at all. I dont knw if I got the crowd tat wasn't looking for baby clothes, I had no toys or kids stuff mainly home stuff.

Nevertheless, I think my next step is consignment only if it's quick and easy and if not goodwill!

I will check out swap too. Thanks again!,