PDA

View Full Version : Hotel with kids- 1 king or 2 doubles?

elektra
03-01-2012, 02:11 AM
At home, DD starts off in her own bed an then sleeps with DH and me after she crawls in in the middle of the night. DS (3yo in May) sleeps in a crib with a crib tent.
We are all staying in a hotel room this weekend for 3 nights. What would work best-
1 king for all 4 of us? We also have a toddler aerobed that we have never used but could bring for DS.
Pros- DS would be surrounded and not fall out. Closest to our usual sleeping arrangement (provided DS would actually sleep in the aerobed)
Cons- Crowded if we all sleep in king

2 doubles- I would sleep with DD and DH would sleep with DS.
Pros- More room for everyone
Cons- I am worried about DS falling out now. The beds there are unusually high and I'm not sure if we could push one up against the wall or against the other bed.

DS is too big for a pack n play or hotel crib IMO. And he climbs out without the crib tent.

MontrealMum
03-01-2012, 02:21 AM
I'm leaning more towards 2 doubles...each parent gets a kid in the bed. Although when my DS was the age of yours he still slept in the pnp at hotels. He's a monkey in other respects, but he's never been one to climb out of a pnp or crib. We just did a suite, him in one room, us in another.

This past Nov. I travelled alone with DS and it was clear (from our previous trip in Aug.) that he was way too long for the pnp so I didn't even bring it. We slept in the same king bed together. It worked surprisingly well, but he was over 4 at the time. I'm not sure if he'd have been as compliant at 3ish. He was a terrible squirmer and kicker prior to this so I really didn't want to bedshare with him before. Also, he had an alarming tendency to try and hide in the hotel mini-fridge. Are you sure your DS doesn't fit in the pnp? Mine made it thru his 4th b-day, albeit, diagonally.

Tondi G
03-01-2012, 02:30 AM
we always ended up going with 2 doubles/queens... one parent and one child in each bed. When the boys were little we pushed a chair up against one side and put a pillow to create a barrier of sorts to prevent them from falling out. If it's not a hassle I would take the toddler aero bed too... if DS won't sleep in it then you just deflate and pack it back up. I would give the aero bed a try cause I know whenever I slept in hotels with my DS, I guess I was more aware that we were in a different bed and every time he moved, I would wake up.... not good sleep.

Reader
03-01-2012, 02:41 AM
We usually do 1 king because king usually comes with a sofabed and my big boys love the sofa bed, then our toddler sleeps with us. DH is tall and doesn't fit well in a double so a king means the best chance of his getting a good night sleep.

HannaAddict
03-01-2012, 02:43 AM
When we've had two queens, we (adults) in one bed and kids in the other. They were old enough to be together safely - not a baby and we used pillows around them.

AnnieW625
03-01-2012, 02:52 AM
Two doubles or preferably two queens because last weekend DH and I shared a double and it was just too tight (or really I like my space in the queen). I think that if your kids want to share they'd be fine in the double. I'd probably bring along the Aero Bed though just in case.

We've done one king when there has been a sofa bed in the room.

Pyrodjm
03-01-2012, 03:34 AM
We always do the king. We sleep on a king at home often with DD2 on our mattress and sometimes DD1 in the side-carred crib. I would probably bring an airbed or make a pallet out of couch cushions for DD1 to start her night on. I guess two queens would work but DH and I hate, hate, hate sleeping apart so that would make for a sucky trip for us.

kozachka
03-01-2012, 04:47 AM
King if there is also a sofa bed in the room, or 2 Queens, if not. Would DS sleep in a crib? We sleep best when we don't have to share King size bed with DS. We've travelled a fair bit and DS has never fallen on the floor, but I was tired more than once when sharing a Queen size bed with him. You can put pillows around kids, both on the bed and on the floor (in case they do fall).

swissair81
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Definitely 2, unless the hotel you're going to has rollaway beds. That's what we get for DS.

o_mom
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
We do two queens. I used to take a pool noodle along to go under the fitted sheet when they were little or stuff extra pillows under the sheet.

egoldber
03-01-2012, 09:27 AM
we always ended up going with 2 doubles/queens... one parent and one child in each bed.

This what we did when the kids were younger. Now they sleep in one and DH and I in the other.

Many hotels have bedrails available. You could put one of those on DS's side of the bed, although at 3 he is probably fine without it. I usually tuck a pillow in between the bed and the nightstand to both fill the gap and make sure no one hits their head. Older DD once cut her forehead open on a nightstand in a hotel! Not fun at 3 am.

TwinFoxes
03-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Two beds, and buy a pool noodle and use it as a temporary bumper. Also, I think Arivecchi bought some cool travel bumpers, but I doubt you'll get them in time, but for future travels they might be a good idea. If I had to share our bed with DDs I'd sleep in the bathtub. They are horrible squirmers and kickers.

hellokitty
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
For a family of 4, I'd do the two bed option. If it was just one kids, I'd do a king bed. We are going OOT next month for one night and we got a room with a king and a sleeper double for our family of five. That would be a nice option as well if you can get that. My older boys will be on the sleeper and my toddler will just sleep in the king with DH and myself.

Twoboos
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
We do two queens. I used to take a pool noodle along to go under the fitted sheet when they were little or stuff extra pillows under the sheet.

:yeahthat: I was just going to say pool noodle! :)

carolinamama
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
We always do 2 doubles. DH takes one kid and I take the other.

pastrygirl
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
:yeahthat: Works great!