PDA

View Full Version : Having feeling this will result in crickets:) but anyone watching womens mma on sat?

lucybabymamma
03-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Ha! When I tried searching mma (mixed martial arts), there were no threads found, so having a feeling there are not too many fans on this site, but over the last few years I have really gotten into this, and the DH and are super excited about the Tate-Rousey fight this Saturday! Anyone else interested in mma and/or plan on watching this? My vote is for Rousey, btw....
http://www.ufc.com/news/sf-ronda-blog-0215

Oh! And, even if mma not your thing, I still thought this quote from Rousey was pretty great:

"Some people like to call me cocky or arrogant, but I just think "How dare you assume I should think less of myself? The problem isn't me thinking I can achieve any goal I set for myself, the problem is you projecting your own self doubt onto me."

lizzywednesday
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
My sig on another board uses Gina Carano's photo.

Having seen her fight, I'm fairly proud to have it up!

It was actually a good match, even, dare I say?, better than a few of the men's matches that I'd seen previously!

And it blows WWE-Divas out of the frickin' water. That's all showmanship, stuntplay and hair-pulling. Even Molly Holly, who I loved for years, is caught up in the "foxy boxing" style. *sigh*

TwoBees
03-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Not my cup of tea, sorry.

However, on a sort of related note, NPR did a really interesting story on the 16-year-old member of the first US Olympic Women's Boxing team.

BabbyO
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm surprised DH hasn't brought it up. He's in Tai chi until he heals, then will go back to Kung Fu. I've enjoyed getting to know more about martial arts since he's started. We think DS1 will start in a year or two (he's already showing interest when daddy practices and asks to learn what DH is doing).

I'll have to ask DH about it. Thanks for the heads up!

lucybabymamma
03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
My sig on another board uses Gina Carano's photo.

Having seen her fight, I'm fairly proud to have it up!

It was actually a good match, even, dare I say?, better than a few of the men's matches that I'd seen previously!

And it blows WWE-Divas out of the frickin' water. That's all showmanship, stuntplay and hair-pulling. Even Molly Holly, who I loved for years, is caught up in the "foxy boxing" style. *sigh*

This Sat fight -- I think this is a good match, too. Some of the women's fights aren't that great, but it seems like more athletes are starting to make it now. Tate, as with most fighers, was pretty cocky and dismissive of Rousey but I think she will be hard to beat - and do you think Tate would submit to an arm bar? If I were fighting her, I would be worried about my future career if I let her break my arm (like the last fighter did).

As a side note, I am pretty excited to see the new movie Carano is in! And, how/when did you get interested in watching these fights?

lizzywednesday
03-01-2012, 10:52 AM
This Sat fight -- I think this is a good match, too. Some of the women's fights aren't that great, but it seems like more athletes are starting to make it now. Tate, as with most fighers, was pretty cocky and dismissive of Rousey but I think she will be hard to beat - and do you think Tate would submit to an arm bar? If I were fighting her, I would be worried about my future career if I let her break my arm (like the last fighter did).

As a side note, I am pretty excited to see the new movie Carano is in! And, how/when did you get interested in watching these fights?

DH is into men's MMA and WWE. I'm not as into it as he is, though.

My big weakness is that I like the choreography of WWE matches, so MMA (despite being actual blows and blood) is actually a natural progression from those.

lucybabymamma
03-01-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm surprised DH hasn't brought it up. He's in Tai chi until he heals, then will go back to Kung Fu. I've enjoyed getting to know more about martial arts since he's started. We think DS1 will start in a year or two (he's already showing interest when daddy practices and asks to learn what DH is doing).

I'll have to ask DH about it. Thanks for the heads up!

Your DH will probably have heard or her (Rousey) -- They call her the "Arm Collector." That's such a great family sport, btw. The gym where I workout has some little girls who do martial arts and they are amazing -- athletic, strong and confident -- hope my DDs are interested too!!

lucybabymamma
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
DH is into men's MMA and WWE. I'm not as into it as he is, though.

My big weakness is that I like the choreography of WWE matches, so MMA (despite being actual blows and blood) is actually a natural progression from those.

I've actually never watched much WWE and def never looked at the choreography of it -- but now I will:)

lizzywednesday
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I've actually never watched much WWE and def never looked at the choreography of it -- but now I will:)

Good matches are like ballet crossed with a stunt show. Amazing.

Bad matches, on the other hand, have no redemptive value whatsoever. It's kind of like watching really bad theatre.

smiles33
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
My kickboxing class is at a MMA studio and one of our male teachers competes in MMA so I've been observing more, but I had no idea women were in them, too. Interesting!