PDA

View Full Version : Which iPhone? UPDATE #30, bought the 4S

crl
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
UPDATE in post 30, bought the 4s

I have the original iPhone. Yes, really. I can upgrade to a 3 for free, to a 4 for $99 or to a 4s for $199.

I really wish I got better reception. Our house isn't in a good spot and I get no reception inside (this is a common problem in our neighborhood regardless of carrier). Dh usually has reception inside with his 4s. A better camera would be really nice. Better battery life would be a nice bonus. I don't really care about other features or improvements.

I am inclined to get the free 3. Bt if the 4 is a huge improvement in the areas I care about, I would consider it. I don't know if I can bring myself to spend the $199 for the 4s, but if anyone wants to tell me how great it is, I'll definitely take it into consideration.

(Dh thinks I should get whatever I want and that he'd get the 4s, but he gets his phones free from work and doesn't quite get how reluctant I am to send money on tech.)

Thanks!
Catherine

egoldber
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I think you mean the 3Gs, not the 3. I don't think the 3 is available any more.

I would at least get the 4. I have the 4 and it is soooooooooo much better and faster than the 3 I had before. (I skipped the 3Gs step, but it truly is superior to the 3Gs as well.) But if money is not an issue, I would absolutely get the 4s. Although I will say that DH has a 4s and he doesn't have anything that I wish I had in the 4.

megs4413
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
I would at least get the 4...it's just night and day to the 3Gs. The 4s might not be worth the extra $$ for you. Take a look at the differences in features and then decide if it's worth it to you. But, YES, get at least the 4.

crl
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks! Maybe it is the 3G, I didn't talk to them, dh did when he took my iPad in for battery problems.

So how is the 4 better? Faster doesn't matter a lot to me as I rarely use my iPhone to access the Internet and only occasionally for email. I use my iPad for those things. Does the 4 have better reception? Better camera? Longer battery life?

Thanks!
Catherine

artvandalay
03-01-2012, 11:02 AM
So how is the 4 better? Faster doesn't matter a lot to me as I rarely use my iPhone to access the Internet and only occasionally for email. I use my iPad for those things. Does the 4 have better reception? Better camera? Longer battery life?

Thanks!
Catherine

The camera is much better on the 4. I would absolutely get a 4 over any of the 3's.

egoldber
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
The 4 is thinner, has a much better camera and better screen quality and clarity.

Do you use any apps at all? Apps are much faster and many newer apps are not compatible with the older phones.

Also, with the new phone, you can get iOS5 and thus free texting to any iPhone also running iOS5. You may find that you and your DH text a lot more (we certainly do) since it will be free. Before iOS5 we never texted and now we text all the time.

crl
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Umm, apps. I use the weather, calendar and calculator functions. Others are used on my iPad. It's almost silly for me to have a smart phone, but we are grandfathered into a cheap plan so it doesn't save s any money for me to drop down.

We never text each other. Dh's work learned the hard way that he hasn't even figured out what the text chime means or how to check the. Lol. I have a couple of babysitters I text with about once a month. That's it.

Better camera is a big one though as so many of my snapshots are taken with my phone.

Catherine

khalloc
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I have a 4s (my first iPhone) and I believe the camera on the 4s is supposed to be vastly superior to the 4. So if you want a good camera that might be a reason to just get the 4s.

BDKmom
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Better camera is a big one though as so many of my snapshots are taken with my phone.

Then definitely get the 4. 3Gs doesn't have a flash, 4 does. Screen resolution is much better with the 4. Camera on the 4 is 5 megapixels, 3Gs is 3. Also, the 4 has the forward facing camera and facetime capabilities. Even if you don't want to do facetime, you can take pics from the forward camera, so you can see yourself on the screen while you take the picture. For me, this comes in handy with DS, as he won't always let me take a pic, but if he sits with me and can see himself, he will look at the screen and I can get a decent pic of the two of us.

egoldber
03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Yes, we use the forward facing camera all the time.

Does the 3Gs have the video camera?

Gena
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I've been really impressed with the quality of the pictures and video with my 4s. The camera is 8 megapixels. I take pics and video of DS all the time now.

Also I use Siri several times a day.

peanut520
03-01-2012, 11:38 AM
i'm going to step out there and say 4s since you tend to keep your phones a long time so the additional cost is averaged out over a longer period of time. it has a better processor chip (faster), better camera (8mb), 1080p hd video capabilites, dual antennas for faster internet spreeds, and battery life.

AnnieW625
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
i'm going to step out there and say 4s since you tend to keep your phones a long time so the additional cost is averaged out over a longer period of time. it has a better processor chip (faster), better camera (8mb), 1080p hd video capabilites, dual antennas for faster internet spreeds, and battery life.

:yeahthat: I got my 4s for $99 because I had a $100 credit for new every 2 with Verizon. DH was going to get a 4, but then we decided simply because we do not get new phones every 2 yrs. it made more sense to get the top of the lime now vs. then be mid cycle (with an iphone 4) in two years as the next whole new phone will most likely come out next year. Prior to our iPhones we last got phones in 2005.

Neither DH nor I text much at all, but the iMessage has come in handy a lot.

Right now Target is offering money back for an iPhone trade in, it is in their weekly ad.

mackmama
03-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I'd get the 4. It is faster, better resolution, better camera, and has a flash. DH has the 4s, and I just don't think it'd be worth the $ to get Siri. In terms of reception, I think it'll be the same unless you change carriers.

crl
03-01-2012, 12:34 PM
. In terms of reception, I think it'll be the same unless you change carriers.

I would have thought that about reception too, but dh and I are on the same carrier and his 4s gets significantly better reception in our house than my original does. And I do remember long ago have friends all on the same carrier all in the same car, but my Qualcomm phone was the only one that got reception. So the phone can make a difference.

Okay I am down to choosing between the 4 and the 4s. Thank you all!

Catherine

mackmama
03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
Really? Wow, I had no idea re the reception. Good to know!

crl
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
So I took a quick look at Apple's comparison chart and it looks to me like the advantages of the 4s oer the 4 for me are (1) significantly better camera and (2) more current tech so it should have a longer time period where I can get it serviced and find cases and such for it (that's actually been an issue with my original, I can't buy a case or protective films in store any more so I have been without since I broke the case about a year ago).

I'll have to give it some thought.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

egoldber
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
In terms of cases, the 4 and the 4s have the same form factor, so any 4s case will fit a 4. But in terms of longevity of SW support, it's always a good idea to get the latest model.

FWIW, if I were buying a new phone today hands down I would get the 4s, even though I am perfectly happy with the 4.

Penny's Pappa
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Megapixels are overrated. The camera on the iPhone 4 is more than good enough for casual, daily snapshots. It'll still be decent even for 4x6" prints. Is the camera on the 4s better? Yes. It's got better resolution and, more importantly IMO, better optics, but is it $100 better? That's up to you and your uses.

Personally, if I had the extra $100 to spend, I'd get the 4s. My biggest complaint with the 4 is it seems to be underpowered. The upgraded processor of the 4s should help alleviate that. But that's just me.

nfowife
03-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I'd get the 4S or hold out a few months and get the iphone 5. I have a 3GS and cannot wait to upgrade. The camera on the 3GS sucks.

123LuckyMom
03-01-2012, 05:17 PM
I would go with at least the 4. That's what I currently have. The 3G is very slow, though it will surely be faster than what you've been using. The camera is also much worse. Also, if you use AT&T, they have a free device that will give you reception in the house. We used to get no reception at all inside, and now I get at least 4 bars all the time. I'm always posting to this list on my phone, usually without wireless.

Aishe
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
Unless the camera's important to you I would get the 4. I am totally underwhelmed by Siri and regret spending the extra $100.

larig
03-01-2012, 06:44 PM
4s. If you're keeping it for 2 years it's an extra $4.16 a month to have the 4s over the 4 ($100/24 months). And it will be viable beyond 2 years (and you can pass it down to the kids eventually). the processor difference between the 4 and 4s is key here.

ETA: my recommendation would have been different 6+ months ago when the 4s had just come out, but we are likely less than 6 months away from a new model, and the 4 is already 1.5 years old (instead of 1 year old), in 2 years it will be 3.5 years old. I think it is reasonable to expect for apple to support a given model for 3 years with updates (meaning you'll likely be able to upgrade to the new OS and run it, minus a few major features, each of those 3 years). That has been their pattern so far.

Twin Mom
03-02-2012, 12:00 AM
I would go with at least the 4. That's what I currently have. The 3G is very slow, though it will surely be faster than what you've been using. The camera is also much worse. Also, if you use AT&T, they have a free device that will give you reception in the house. We used to get no reception at all inside, and now I get at least 4 bars all the time. I'm always posting to this list on my phone, usually without wireless.

:yeahthat: My brother has terrible AT&T reception at his house and he has whatever it is that makes the reception better provided by AT&T.

I still have a 3g but I'm waiting for the 5 before I upgrade. I am hoping I can convince one of my friends who upgraded to give me their 3gs so that I can text my DC on their ipod touches. Since I have the 3g, I can't get the upgrade that allows you to use imessage which is really annoying.

kijip
03-02-2012, 02:44 AM
I would go for the 4s. Clearly you will make it last. ;)

I chose the 4 over the 4s and have no regrets but the 4s does have some nice goodies.

mariza
03-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Does your carrier offer a trade in credit on older models? DH and I have AT&T but we stopped into Sprint the other day to ask about their iPhone plans and they were offering a $60 credit for his old 3GS and about $100 for my 4.
Obviously you aren't with Sprint since you have an older iPhone but maybe you could check and see if your carrier does the same thing. Could be more cost effective to get the 4 or 4S that way. DH has the 3G and when our contract is up in June we will both be getting the 4S. He texts a lot for work and I'm finding that keeping the 3G is actually costing us money since he can't get free texting with iMessage. And I hate that his phone doesn't have video. I love gadgets so if it were me I'd get the 4S but I love my 4 and it sounds like the 4 has everything you are looking for without spending the extra money.

crl
03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
I would go for the 4s. Clearly you will make it last. ;)

This is what I have decided. LOL. The improved camera is actually big to me the more I think about it! especially as I sometimes end up at school functions, etc without a "real" camera due to poor planning on my part. And since I tend to keep my tech until it is completely obsolete (this is pretty much a pattern for me) starting with something pretty current makes sense.

Thank you all for the tips on maybe saving some $ on this and thank you for all the information and feedback!

Catherine

egoldber
03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
The AT&T device is called a microcell. We have one and it solved our reception issues in the house.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/3gmicrocell.jsp

AnnieW625
03-02-2012, 10:43 AM
This is what I have decided. LOL. The improved camera is actually big to me the more I think about it! especially as I sometimes end up at school functions, etc without a "real" camera due to poor planning on my part. And since I tend to keep my tech until it is completely obsolete (this is pretty much a pattern for me) starting with something pretty current makes sense.

Thank you all for the tips on maybe saving some $ on this and thank you for all the information and feedback!

Catherine

We have used our regular power point and shoot digital camera probably less than 10 times since we got our iPhones! We use the iPhone camera a lot too. Haven't actually printed any photos yet though.

I know you don't live close to a Target but check put their add because they are giving money for iPhone trade in this week.

crl
03-05-2012, 01:09 AM
UPDATE

Bought the 4s tonight. Ouch on the price, especially adding a case and screen protective films and tax. But hopefully this one will last me as long as my last one did! I haven't played with it yet, just got my contacts switched over and synced it so my calendar is on it, oh and set up my email. Dh taught Siri to call me goddess so now I have to figure out how to unteach that. LOL.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

larig
03-05-2012, 01:55 AM
UPDATE

Bought the 4s tonight. Ouch on the price, especially adding a case and screen protective films and tax. But hopefully this one will last me as long as my last one did! I haven't played with it yet, just got my contacts switched over and synced it so my calendar is on it, oh and set up my email. Dh taught Siri to call me goddess so now I have to figure out how to unteach that. LOL.

Thanks everyone!
Catherine

just say "siri, call me X" and she'll relearn it. Tomorrow you could have her call you superwoman.

Congrats on the new phone. I'll see if I can find some old threads to help out with some siri stuff, etc.

ETA: check out my post in this thread, it's got lots of stuff that I've found helpful with my 4s. The proximity reminders are pretty neat. (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=416009&highlight=iphone+siri)

crl
03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
just say "siri, call me X" and she'll relearn it. Tomorrow you could have her call you superwoman.

Congrats on the new phone. I'll see if I can find some old threads to help out with some siri stuff, etc.

ETA: check out my post in this thread, it's got lots of stuff that I've found helpful with my 4s. The proximity reminders are pretty neat. (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=416009&highlight=iphone+siri)

Thanks!
Catherine

mariza
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Catherine, you inspired me. DH had an old iPhone 3 and we went to Target to upgrade his to the 4s and the guy talked me into upgrading my 4 as well. Where did you get yours? Target gave DH $65 credit towards the new phone and me $185 for my 4. Plus I used my red card so we only had to pay $153 OOP for the 2 phones. The guy at Target synced all of our contacts to the new phones. Siri is fun isn't she? So far I love that she will read and respond to texts while I drive. Which case did you get?

crl
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Catherine, you inspired me. DH had an old iPhone 3 and we went to Target to upgrade his to the 4s and the guy talked me into upgrading my 4 as well. Where did you get yours? Target gave DH $65 credit towards the new phone and me $185 for my 4. Plus I used my red card so we only had to pay $153 OOP for the 2 phones. The guy at Target synced all of our contacts to the new phones. Siri is fun isn't she? So far I love that she will read and respond to texts while I drive. Which case did you get?

I went to the Apple store. As far as I could tell, Target was only offering $$$ for 3s and up and since I had the original I wouldn't have gotten anything. Plus the Apple store is a lot closer to me than Target.

I got this Speck case https://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-4-case/pixelskin-hd-for-iphone-4s.html in black. I also choose the black phone. Boring, I know. The apple store clerk originally suggested something else (not an Otterbox) because I admitted that I have dropped my original more than once, but what she suggested felt really bulky to me. Apparently the 4s is a lot more fragile than the original (newer isn't always better in every way :) ).

I amdmit I still haven't played with Siri. I am afraid my toddler will have a tantrum to get my phone if I do it in front of her. I definitely need to figure Siri out though. Dh loves the auto dialing and has her do all his arithmetic.

I will confess that the faster processing speed is actually nice, despite all my protestations that I don't car about that.

I do not like the feel of the phone as much as the original though. I am sure a lot of that is just that I was used to the original, but the curved back just fit so nicely in my hand. The case helps a bit with that as it has a bit of give to it and softens the edges a tiny bit.

What case did you get? And what color?

I need to set up my original for the kids to use for movies and apps when we travel.

Catherine

mariza
03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I gave my DH my old red and black Otterbox Defender and ordered myself a new lilac and white one for my new white phone. The Target guy said the 4 cases fit the 4S and technically they do but don't line up perfectly. The biggest thing is that the switch on the left side that puts the phone in vibrate mode is partially blocked by the case. I can still get to it but DH has a harder time since he doesn't have nails ;) my case was $23 on Amazon, I wasn't willing to spend more than that.

artvandalay
03-07-2012, 09:57 AM
If you are looking for a case, I am very happy with this clear one for my iphone 4S:

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Protective-Screen-Protector-Verizon/dp/B004I8WD6E/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1331128399&sr=1-2

It comes with a screen protector. It's cheap. It gets gret reviews. What's not to love? lol. I have dropped my phone a few times on cement and have had no problems. There is a "lip" that comes out surrounding the front of the phone, so if you rest your phone face down, it does not come in contact with a hard surface.

There is a smoke version as well

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Protective-Screen-Protector-Verizon/dp/B004I8WD7S/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1331128399&sr=1-1

My friend had an Otterbox on her iphone and her screen shattered... so $$$ doesn't always mean the best protection. I think if your phone drops at just the right angle, you're screwed no matter what case you have.

Penny's Pappa
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
The Target guy said the 4 cases fit the 4S and technically they do but don't line up perfectly. The biggest thing is that the switch on the left side that puts the phone in vibrate mode is partially blocked by the case.

This might be because there are slight differences in form factor between the Verizon CDMA phone and the AT&T (and the like) GSM phones. There are actually cases out there that will only fit one or the other.