PDA

View Full Version : How to change realtors?

mackmama
03-01-2012, 12:00 PM
We are looking to buy a home in a really small town. A realtor has been showing us houses and letting us know when there are off-market listings. We have made the decision to switch realtors. How do I tell the realtor? There are a few reasons, but one is that we have found this realtor to be very disorganized. We have found another realtor to work with. Again it's a small town, so I don't want to make any waves.

ha98ed14
03-01-2012, 12:30 PM
The first thing you need to figure out is *IF* you signed a contract, how long is it binding? In PA for example, you sign a contract for 6 months. If you buy a house in that time period, that agent gets the commission even if they did nothing but show you the house. Once the 6 mos is up, if you haven't bought something, you can part ways. In CA, you don't sign anything, so switching agents is as easy as calling/emailing one agent and saying, "We are done working with you." and then finding an agent you do like.

Those are the two two states in which I have attempted to buy a house. I back out in PA because of the inspection. I was single and did not want to commit to something I had no idea how to fix. In CA, I did switch agents because the first one was doing nothing and we were eager to get it done.

khm
03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Unless you've signed something, as a buyer, you can use different realtors everyday of the week to view houses etc. Happens all the time.

People will spend weeks with one realtor and end up buying with some random realtor they met once at an open house or in the grocery store.

Next time the old realtor calls, just say you don't think you guys are on the same page and you are stepping back. They don't need to know it's only for a second. ;)

Does your new realtor know the old one? NewRealtor might have some advice on how to smooth it out.

But really, happens ALL THE TIME. You won't be the first or last for OldRealtor. Really.

mackmama
03-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for responding. We have not signed a contract. How do I word it to this realtor though? I don't want to burn any bridges since it's a very small town.

khm
03-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Do you want to tell them why you are dumping them? Or do you just want to dump them?

I'm assuming it's the latter, I'd just say you aren't having any luck at the moment and are suspending your search for now. Give no detail. No excuses. No blame. No timeframe.

It'll just so happen that when you "resume your search" it won't be with them. :)

If anything they'll be peeved at NewRealtor for "stealing" you, but they'll also know that they'd do the same if the situation were reversed.

Really, don't overthink it. It's just business and they've been through it all before.

mackmama
03-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Ok that's great wording - thanks! This situation has been stressing me out - so it's good to know it's pretty common.

ha98ed14
03-01-2012, 12:43 PM
How about:

Dear OldRealtor,

Thank you for all the help you haven given us thus far. At this point we have decided to take our housing search in a different direction, and will be moving on to other options. Again, thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
MackMack Jones

Like PP said, you are not the first or last to move on, so don't worry about it. You don't live there yet, so there are no existing relationships to burn. And since you are just buying your first house there, you will not be needing the help of a realtor for some time. You're not planning to move again within a year, right? Who cares is OldRealtor thinks badly of you. NewRealtor will love you if the deal goes through and if you do need a new one, you just use him/her.

mackmama
03-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Thank you! I like this letter and will be combining both wording options. Thanks, ladies!

crl
03-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Yep, when we switched, I just sent an email to Oldrealtor thanking her for her time and saying "we have decided to go in a different direction.". She replied saying to let her know if she could help us in the future and that was the end of it.

Catherine